PDA

View Full Version : My Squirrel needs to be sedated....Plz suggest :'(

prlphlpz
07-08-2011, 03:15 AM
My Squirrel was suffering from Ear mites..an advanced level of ear mites..she's doing much better now..She's about 70% better with her ears..but those stubborn mites have spread to her tail,feet,back and..almost the entire body:pissed .....So now she itches her body as well..The Vet wants to take her hair and skin samples,clean out her ears and inject her with Ivermectin..And for all these tasks she first needs to sedate her...The vet will have to give my squirrel some Anesthesia so that she can actually get hold of the squirrel n check her properly...NOW IS IT SAFE TO SEDATE HER???......My squirrel (Chikita) weights 100 grams...she's an Indian Plam Squirrel...would giving her Anesthesia be okay????...Please answer... Thank you:)

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2011, 07:21 AM
:Welcome :wave123
Welcome to TSB :)
I am not saying it is safe to sedate a palm squirrel, as I do not know due to their size.
I would use extreme caution,and a well known experienced vet with small and exotic animals....My vet uses isoflurane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoflurane
I can say that the common grey squirrels in the USA respond quickly to this gas and come out of it quickly...within seconds...

Ivermectin can be given topically. {A diluted form is recommended if at all} {extreme caution, as this can be overdosed with fatal results}

There are other products that can be substituted also...
Revolution (selamectin) is a topical flea control product used mainly in domestic dogs and cats, that also eliminates mites as well as many other parasites.
Pfizer is the manufacturer.
Cat and Dog formulas are the same, just varies on amount per tube as per the weight of the animal.

http://www.revolutionpet.com/revolutionpet.aspx

We have several members in India that maybe able to direct you better.
Chickoo & Aida are two that come to mind immediately.

In the upper right hand corner is the Private Message service...
use that to send them a message and ask for more info, they both have Indian Palm squirrels. However I am not familiar with their exact locations...:dono other than India!
Good luck, hoping other members can help more:Love_Icon

:poke We love pics:D

CritterMom
07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Most vets will use something called isofluorane gas to anesthetize small animals and swear it is safe...but no anesthesia is completely safe and animals many times have bad reactions.

Can you offer to get a pair of gloves that will enable you to hold your squirrel still for the vet? I honestly don't see any part of this except perhaps the ears that would require sedation and even those should be doable without.

stepnstone
07-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Depending on what's used and how it's done, some squirrels have been successfully sedated and recovered, there are always risks. Health, condition and stress are a factor. I would think if it's just a matter of being able to handle the squirrel that your vet would only need to put it in a light "twilight" state and wouldn't need to put it completely under. I would talk with your vet in length about their experience with sedating rodents, the risks and the proposed method they would be planning to use.

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
one more thought....
sometimes....severe itching can be actual pain. The squirrel may look as though they are itching, when in fact they have bone aches due to lack of calcium.
Can you tell us the diet you feed your squirrel?
Most squirrels need an extremely large amount of daily essential vitamins, calcium being the primary one that causes Metabolic Bone disease if not maintained daily.
There are many threads here on TSB that can help explain this better than I can.
Have you seen the nutrition forum?
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191

I just found your other thread, it also has suggestions for ear mite treatments:thumbsup
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28834&highlight=chickoo

stepnstone
07-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Most vets will use something called isofluorane gas to anesthetize small animals and swear it is safe...but no anesthesia is completely safe and animals many times have bad reactions.
Can you offer to get a pair of gloves that will enable you to hold your squirrel still for the vet? I honestly don't see any part of this except perhaps the ears that would require sedation and even those should be doable without.

Thanks for saying that, was not certain but had the same thought. :dono

prlphlpz
07-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank u....Now due to heavy rains here..n the clinic being too far..the appointment is postponed to next saturday :bash ......I think isoflurane or halothane would be safe...I can see slight hair loss around her face...wat do I do till saturday :thinking ....Jackie the ear mites link u posted is the same thread that I had posed when my squirrel was suffering from ear mites:D ....anyway thank you so much...I really want her hair to grow back...

Fireside3
08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Isoflurane is relatively safe at 2.5-5% induction, although each individual is different. Anytime you fully sedate a person or animal there are risks of not waking, for that reason the medical benefit must outweigh the risks. I recommend full sedation only for more serious cases.

As a wildlife rehabber, I am opposed to the use of injectable ivermectin in exotics. That would be considered an off-label use, as ivermectin for injection was manufactured for and tested for use in cattle and swine, not wildlife. Many animals, including a story I recently heard about a rehab raccoon, can suffer CNS side effects and even death. In my opinion, for systemic treatment oral fenbendazole is much safer. I recommend ivermectin only for topical use in squirrels and other exotics where pharmacokenetics are not well established.

Mike
Wildlife Rehabilitator
Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue