PDA

View Full Version : JULY is SPAMMER'S MONTH.....???

island rehabber
07-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Not sure why, folks, but July always brings a flood of spammers, trolls and other mutants to our doorstep. They are getting more and more clever -- they can approximate a "post" now, sort of....and then slam us with code that leads to a zillion spam sites and opens your computer to God-knows-what if you click on it.

Many of you have alerted me when you see these things and i thank you muchly! :Love_Icon For those who don't know how to recognize the "spam bots" (robot computers that generate spam in other people's forums), watch for these telltale signs:

1. An underlined html link at the bottom of a post that lists a bunch of popular items like "coach bags XBox ipad smartphones" :shakehead

2. clunky language, as if generated by a computer. It "sort of" comments on the post above it, but not really...and you'll always see some stupid link below the post (see above).:shakehead

3. Posts that are made in reply to ANCIENT threads, circa 2006-2007. As soon as I see a reply to a dead thread I pretty much know it's a spammer.....or a new member who doesn't realize where the dates are, yet :).

As always, thanks for all your help in keeping these jerks off our Board. :get_em :D