PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I have squirrels by accident.

Barbt
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Barb and I yard for of little buddies. It started back in Nov when I found a little male squirrel in my yard all bloody and missing a front leg. I built him a little house outside, put him in and gave him antibiotics (broken down) that were for my dog. With a little care and a lot of food he got better. Now Bandit as he's called lives in my front yard and is a bit spoiled. He comes when I call him by name and sometimes knocks on the window if I have not come out.
Of course when you feed 1 squirrel in your yard you end up with many. I now have 9 I know on site and 4 of them will come when called by name. Right now I dealing with Snagle, he has a maloclusion and almost died. Since he wild there was not much I could do other than give him antibiotics and when the swelling went down got him to start chewing on hard things. He's getting better.
Bandit has his own facbook page called Bandit-Squirrel Thornton (go take a look if you would like) it's full of photos and videos of all the little guys in the front yard. As a pro photographer I take TONS of photos of these guys :)

scoobysnack
07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Welcome and thank you for being an advocate of your wild squirrels!

astra
07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
As a pro photographer I take TONS of photos of these guys :)
Welcome!:Welcome
And due to the above, TONS of photos are expected!
Are they greys?...
COuld you start their own thread?...
Can't wait to see TONS of photos
:)

Milo's Mom
07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
FOXERS!!! Beautiful pics on his FB page!!

Bravo
07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Welcome to TSB, and thanks for taking the time with the little Bandit. Saw his pics on FB. :thumbsup

Barbt
07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome!:Welcome
And due to the above, TONS of photos are expected!
Are they greys?...
COuld you start their own thread?...
Can't wait to see TONS of photos
:)
As soon as I figure out how to load photos here.
Here's a quick video I made this past winter.
http://youtu.be/cnqKkYfznpI

JakesLittlePrincess
07-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Hello & :Welcome

astra
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
As soon as I figure out how to load photos here.
Here's a quick video I made this past winter.
http://youtu.be/cnqKkYfznpI
:jump :jump :jump

it's easy, but since you just joined this option might not be available right away... at one point, it used to take a few days for all options to become available to newly joined members... not sure if it is still that way...

some ppl use photobucket to post photos and videos

lilidukes
07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
:Welcome to TSB glad to have you:wave123

We love pictures:poke

Barbt
07-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't really know where to post images but here's a link to a few.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvchooD

astra
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Awesome photos!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :thankyou :thumbsup
And you have little adorable reds, too!
More, please!!!!!!!!!:)

2ndHandRanchRescue
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Welcome :Welcome

mpetys
07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi and welcome. Your photos are great! Look forward to seeing more.

Michele

UDoWhat
07-04-2011, 11:41 PM
:wave123 :Welcome I love all of the pictures. Reds, foxers, sooooooo wonderful! I loved the video. The foxers really were teasing the cat. /Poor kitty. Glad you found TSB. How does Bandit do with holding food? Many rehabilitators do not consider squirrels missing a front limb to be releasable. I guess Bandit doesn't know that rule.:rotfl He is doing just fine. Proof positive. He looks great. Sweet little trooper. He says , "Missing what?????".
More pics as you have time. We love them.

Marty

Barbt
07-05-2011, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=UDoWhat]:wave123 : How does Bandit do with holding food? Many rehabilitators do not consider squirrels missing a front limb to be releasable. I guess Bandit doesn't know that rule.:rotfl He is doing just fine. Proof positive. He looks great. Sweet little trooper. He says , "Missing what?????".
Bandit is fine in the wild. He has no problems holding his food and playing with the other squirrels. For the first few months while he was new at it and weak I would give him smaller things to eat and then stand outside keeping the other squirrels away so he could eat all he wanted and recover. Now he's in with everyone to eat.
Snaggle is the one I now sit outside with while he eats to make sure he can gets all he wants to eat. Still not sure if he's going to make it but he is a lot better that he was. I will have to find a before and after photo of the little guy and post it.

island rehabber
07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Many rehabilitators do not consider squirrels missing a front limb to be releasable. I guess Bandit doesn't know that rule.:rotfl He is doing just fine. Proof positive.

:goodpost something (or someONE, Bandit!) to think about when we are quick to rush to that "NR" diagnosis.....same with squirrels who are blind in one eye. I know an extremely successful one-eyed girl in Union Sq Park, NYC, who has raised countless litters over the years, just feet away from a busy intersection. :D

veganhead1
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Barbt,
I have yard/deck squirrels too. I have one that's missing a tail which is nowhere near as bad as missing a leg, poor guy. But, it sounds like you have saved him. :D Good deed done, add it to your karma list. :D

I love that he will come to you when you call him. Does he act like he wants to live in with you? Considering he's missing a leg and I've learned that house squirrels usually live much longer than yard squirrels, I would have to let him live in if he wanted. Of course, I would let him go outside when he wanted too. Not everyone can care for inside squirrels though.

I have a little terrier dog and he's learning to play nice when the squirrels come to the window but I don't think he would allow any to live inside with me at this point. Of course, if it were dire I would figure out how to warm my dog up to the idea. He's not totally mean, he wouldn't attack a squirrel but he doesn't like the idea of sharing me and he makes that clear. He tries to jump in my lap when they come around. It sound like Bandit is doing good outside though and he has you to count on which is great for him.

Hope to see some pics soon!!
Best wishes to you and Bandit. Nice meeting you. :)

Barbt
07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Bandit does not act like he wants to come in. He does as well as all the other guys in the yard. Plus I have a dog that would think he is tasty.
Here's a link to Bandit and Snaggle a few months ago and you can see how he was getting around then. Now he's even faster.
Snaggle is the really tame one. He has the malocclusion that I have been fighting and depends on me for just about everything. I have to sit there in the yard keeping the other squirrels away while he eats since it takes longer and he's waek. He does like ensure to drink as well. He wants to come in the house but with a dog AND a cat it's really a no go. I just got back from a long weekend and Snaggle came running up the drive when he saw my car and as soon as I got out he grabbed my leg. After he let me know he was there he went and sat in his favorite and waited to be fed.
BTW is this the spot I would post photos and video links?
http://youtu.be/RgfHlTn2F7s
Here's a clip of Snaggle (aka Snags) after we managed to break the tooth off.
http://youtu.be/64T1IBar51E

astra
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I just got back from a long weekend and Snaggle came running up the drive when he saw my car and as soon as I got out he grabbed my leg. After he let me know he was there he went and sat in his favorite and waited to be fed.
BTW is this the spot I would post photos and video links?
http://youtu.be/RgfHlTn2F7s
Here's a clip of Snaggle (aka Snags) after we managed to break the tooth off.
http://youtu.be/64T1IBar51E
aawe, Snaggle!:Love_Icon
you don't have to post photos and videos here, but you can - it's up to you.
YOu can start a new thread in Breed specific forum under Fox squirrels, if you would like to.
I wonder how he survived with malocclusion...
Usually, they get their teeth trimmed and are non-releasable...
If he is so attached to you, I wonder if he is attached and trusting enough for teeth trimming... but then, he is a wild squirrel... poor little guy

You are his lifesaver, for sure:thumbsup

Barbt
07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't think Snaggle would let me trim his teeth. He trusts me but that would end it. I got the tooth to break off by giving him walnuts. He did not want something so hard so I put a little peanut butter on it and I think that's what did the trick. I'm now trying to do the same again because the tooth is getting long. I think it's a losing battle and he really does not have all that long but I do what I can to help him.
Here's a before and after photo.
http://flic.kr/p/a3mNy3]