View Full Version : skin problems and can't sit up

swatts007
12-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi
new here and trying to find help
I have a gray, shes around 25 weeks or so

I still have her cause she has seziures, per my vet I should keep her longer
this is fine with me but I have a new problem
when she eats any food she can't sit up on her back feet. she kinda lays foward using her front feet.
she has also started to get a skin rash, it looks like brown dirt. it wipes out. but I have noticed that she is scratching more.
this is my first year working with squirrels, so far I have had 15 in this year.
I have been rehabing for 15 years.
I really hope that someone can offer any help. I really feel lost on working with squirrels, but like and rehaber I will try my best.

DubShack
12-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Swatts, welcome to TSB!
Can you iluminate us on her diet at all? Is it just when she eats that she can't sit on her back legs, or does she have any trouble walking at all?

DubShack
12-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Does it look anything like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwB2zJIl-8Q&eurl=

(guess what you're describing just reminded me of that)

squirrelfriend
12-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Does it look anything like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwB2zJIl-8Q&eurl=

(guess what you're describing just reminded me of that)

Dubshack, are you sure that wasn't a head injury or braindamage of some sort or was the leg hanging at all. I have two sort of like that. I am suspecting head trauma for both. also of the two I have like that one is half blind and the other is fully blind.

Swatts007, Is she getting calcium and sunshine? These two are very important to a squirrel. Lack of these can cause MBD (metabolic Bone Disease). WHat happens is that their bones get brittle and they will tend to go down in the back legs and or seizures. If they don't have access to direct sunlight every day then go buy a full spectrum sun lamp at a pet store. Any pet store that deals in reptiles will have this for sure. The sunlamp gives them vitamin D so that they can absorb the calcium. You can buy liquid calcium at a pharmacy. Just make sure that calcium is the only vitamin in it. there is a certain brand that people like on here but I don't get that here. I think it was called Prime?

anyhow keep us posted on the little girl. If she is not getting sunshine and calcium get those to her right away.

Dubshack, what happed to the squirrel in the tape? Did you take him in afterwards? Poor little fellow.

squirrelfriend
12-13-2006, 05:59 AM
forgot about the rash? Is it possible that this is mites, lice or flea droppings? I just ask because you said it wipes away. are there any tiny white things stuck to the base of the hair anywhere?

Gabe
12-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Ive never heard of a skin rash on a squirrel that looks like brown dirt. Is she loosing fur? can you post a picture?

swatts007
12-13-2006, 06:03 PM
to try to answer all the questions posted to me

it not like in the video, she has trouble walking any time.
when the vet gave her to me she had been given shots to help her move due to an injury to her back.she was found at the base of a tree. she couldn't move her back legs at all when the vet got her in. I think it may be the problem. just wish I could help her move better. she can't get off the bottom of the cage.

as far as diet I have been using a mix that I got a pet smart for feeding squirrels. its kinda like bird food. I'm also giving apple, almonds, pecans, walnuts, fresh corn,broccoli,sweet potato,and carrot.
she gets plenty of light during the day. half of her cage is near a window.
I have not been giving calcium. cause didn't know too. so what kind and how much would be my ? on that.

thanks for all your help so far
susan

swatts007
12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
sry i missed a few ?'s

I think she has lice after talking to a lady from here last night
they are stuck somewhat to the base of the hair, I pulled a few off last night and put them on paper with water, there was no trace of blood, so I don't think its flea dirt. you can mash them and the kinda pop, kinda like squezzing a bug.

I'm sure that her skin in hurt so I don't want to use chemicals
and other ideas?

Gabe
12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, you said the vet gave her to you, have you had her back for a recheck? The vet should be able to help with the lice problem. You can get lice from her, so can everyone in your household and all your pets. You need to deal with that before the leg issue. If this is an old injury, it may not get better. Can she walk or just pull herself around with her front legs?

Secret Squirrel
12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi swatt007...welcome to the board!

I recommend you get her back to the vet for a recheck. The vet will be able to prescribe the meds you need for the lice problem. Warm soapy bath helps....rinse well.... but it can also dry out the skin and cause more problems. As rehabers we can't tell you what to administer (it's a long drawn out story) leave that to your vet since you are lucky enough to have one!!:)
As far as the legs not working properly....did the vet do xrays for spinal damage? Was the squirrel bleeding or injured (with any scabs present)? The injection the vet gave was probably dexamethasone (SP) which is a steroid used for recent trauma. Good!
It reduces swelling for recent injuries. If the vet gave her to you than that means his back wasn't broken and the odds were good!!!!! I know she is an older squirrel...so she may not get any better...but miracle happen all the time!
I have a squirrel with "deep tissue trauma" and he is very slowly make progress. He now is raising his tail....:alright.gif It could take 6 months to a year before he can be deemed "WHOLE". I also give hydro therapy and deep muscle massage so he his muscles don't atrophy. So don't loose hope.
Post what ever you can so we may understand more fully!!
Welcome to the squirrel world....why did it take you 15 years to finally get lucky enough to get a squirrel!!!!:flash3
PS....too much calcium can be just as bad as not enough. As in injection or added to the water.
Kale, broccoli, spinach, cuttle bone, chew bone are all good natural sources of calcium.
The vet can do blood work to ascertain the calcium levels in your squirrel if the vet feels it's an issue.

DubShack
12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Sorry, don't mean to butt in on the professionals. Just trying to get my feet wet. :) Actually the first thing I was thinking was MBD, which is why I asked about diet. But when Swatts mentioned falling over I remembered that video. It's not actually my video, just something I found. (On Youtube and a bunch of other sites I go by Arkcana)

I also recall another rehab story a while back about someone taking in a black eastern with a broken leg, she said they need to be kept from attempting to climb until fully healed. Is there any truth to this?

Mars
12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Depends. If the leg is pinned they can use it. If it's put in a hard cast no. It will be weeks and physical therapy may be needed. I was lucky a couple years ago with a young grey came in with a compound fracture to the right front leg. I had a vet at that time who pinned it for me. Healed beautifully. In either case it's best to keep them as confined as possible so as not to chance added injury.

squirrelfriend
12-14-2006, 08:12 AM
About the lice. Squirrel lice and human lice are two different species. Squirrel fleas area also different. Squirrel fleas cannot jump which makes them easier to catch and squish. Squirrel lice will not transfer to you but will transfer to your other squirrels if you have any. keep this guys cage far away from the others. The vet should be able to help you with the bug problem. keep us posted. Hope his legs are better soon.

Mars
12-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Please do not squish squirrel fleas! They can be carriers of bubonic plague and squishing them can spread the virus. I know, I know, It's our first instinct. and I'm guilty of it , :shakehead too. But it's best to keep a piece of sticky tape near by to stick them to and just throw the tape away. :)

Mars
12-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Good morning,

Just checking in. :wave123 How is your little one? Was the skin thing lice?

Mars