PDA

View Full Version : Can an Easter Grey live with Western Greys????

crazysquirrels
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
This is the question of the year. Talula being a melinistic Eastern and being released with nothing but western greys. There is 0 chance of another Eastern grey. I don't know if she will be picked on to beat up so any info would be great.

Hannah
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Just a quick response, but whenever eastern gray squirrel become introduced they generally fair pretty well. They are replacing the Red squirrels in Britain, although that may be helped by disease resistance. In Washington, the eastern gray is expanding, probably replacing native Western gray squirrels (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/TreeSquirrels.pdf), at least in urban areas. That's all I know. Hopefully someone will have some actual observations on the interactions between the two species, which it probably more what you're looking for.

(You've probably already checked, but if you haven't it might not be legal to release an Eastern gray. Of course, if you only release one, there's no worry about starting a colony, but be careful.)

crazysquirrels
06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
She is solo but nobody knows if a western and eastern can mate. Yes everything about this is illegal. It is illegal to help, have, or release wildlife here. Communist state you know.

Hannah
06-19-2011, 09:44 PM
She is solo but nobody knows if a western and eastern can mate. Yes everything about this is illegal. It is illegal to help, have, or release wildlife here. Communist state you know.
Well, the male Western gray squirrels might try (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=653603&postcount=1902), but my guess is nothing would come of it. The ironic thing is that if Talula did have a litter, you wouldn't be able to report the finding that western and eastern grays can mate, unless you could do so without indicting yourself.

crazysquirrels
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM
I would not tell anyway. It would end poorly no matter what. And he is the thing. If she did have kids it changes things about squirrels. But if you talk they all die or are taken.