PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to introduce myself and Sandy :]

weAREtheirVOICE
06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm a first time squirrel mommy, but I've rehabilitated critters before. I've had some unofficial training, and I'm working on finding a sponsor so I can get my license. This is Sandy, our crazy little ball of fur :3

Tickle's Mom
06-18-2011, 07:56 PM
:Welcome :Welcome
Sandy is adorable. How did she find you?:D

island rehabber
06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
:Welcome beautiful girlie there!

lilidukes
06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
:Welcome to TSB.

UDoWhat
06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
:Welcome to TSB. Your Sandy is darling! :Love_Icon How old is she? Our nutrition forum is so helpful with diet info to keep Sandy healthy. As you know, a healthy diet is very important for pet squirrels in particular. :wave123

Cleo_13
06-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Welcome! I really love the pictures of Sandy. Good luck with her!

MiriamS
06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
:Welcome

Sandy is adorable. Where in VA are you? There are a number of excellent wildlife networks, all looking for apprentices!

iwanenator
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
w000000000000000006h what a cute devil:jump

veganhead1
06-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Hi,
I'm new too, well a couple of weeks now on the board. Nice to meet you. I LOVE your screen name: 'wearetheirvoice'-very nice and so very true! Sandy is adorable. I just have squirrels that come to my deck to eat, no inside babes for me. I'm learning a lot on the board so if I ever run across a squirrel that needs help or would prefer to stay inside with me then I should be able to care for them with all I'm learning here. See you around the forum. :D

Chickenlegs
06-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Sandy is beeeee-U-tiful! I'm in Virginie too--just got sub-permitted. Wildcare is down near the coast, ARK in Richmond and the wildlife center up towards the mountains. Miriam can probably tell you folks in Northern Virginia. Lots of need in these parts. So glad yur here!

MiriamS
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Chickenlegs I didn't know you got sub-permitted! :wahoo You've become an official apprentice :bowdown Congratulations!!!

There's Wild Bunch Rehab near the Rappahannock National Wildlife Refuge but it's actually run by someone in Alexandria. In the NOVA area is Virginia Wildlife Rescue League, begging for more rehabbers. Whether you're official or not, you're still helping!

weAREtheirVOICE
06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome ^_^

I've been trying to find a wildlife center close to home, turns out I'm smack in the center of the circle of them. but, the closest one is almost 1 1/2hrs from me. it would be fine for work, but the gas bill would be on me, and we all know how that is right now... so I'm just going to have to find an individual in the area who could use an extra hand.

Sandy and I met when a nice older couple brought her in after a harsh storm. they watched her for a good day, and when they realized mama squirrel wasn't coming any time soon, they decided she needed out of the heat. so they brought her to my work and I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. she had lots fleas and was thin and dehydrated, so I think mama might've been gone even before the storm. but she's doing fantastic now, napping with me as I type this.

she's about 8 weeks old I think, and she's eating well and playing ALOT. she's started chewing on her hard foods, and even tried jumping into a bag of chips the other night XD she's going to get a BIG upgrade for her cage here soon too. I'm going to post a thread in another section asking for suggestions, so if you have any, I'd like to hear em. :peace

MiriamS
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Sounds like Sandy's doing great! :thumbsup

The best approach would be to contact the rehab organizations and see where their rehabbers live, which is usually all over the place. I suspect there's one much closer to you and if you're interested in making it official, they'll usually mentor you over the phone in a more unofficial capacity, especially since you've already got experience. Good luck and keep us posted on Sandy.