PDA

View Full Version : MBD info

squirrelboyzmom
12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
My son saved a squirrel whose nest came down with a tree that was being removed. From my reading of your wonderful insights, I've determined that it may be older than 14wks (?). It's eyes were opened then (about three weeks ago) and it has been VERY active here lately.

Last night, it had a seizure and has been moving around very little and only on his front legs. His back legs, although he moves them VERY LITTLE in response to a touch, he drags behind him. No vets in my area know much about squirrel's and I haven't found one yet that will inject calcium. I went ahead and crushed 1/8 tsp of a calcium supplement w/ VIT D and mixed with a little warm water. "Twitch" gulped it right down.

I don't quite understand MBD. We have been sure to give Twitch kale and broccoli, an almond now & then. A few sunflower seeds and he loves grapes & strawberries. We tried to give him the Esibilac (?) but he wouldn't take it AT ALL! And I bought the "Science diet for Puppies" and he acts like he'd rather starve to death than eat THAT! What did we do wrong?

Thanks for the info on your site. I hope it works for him.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-12-2006, 01:32 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/margaretmowery_2006/ages.jpg
here's a chart for a better idea.
One of the rehabbers will help you soon.

Critter_Queen
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
My son saved a squirrel whose nest came down with a tree that was being removed. From my reading of your wonderful insights, I've determined that it may be older than 14wks (?). It's eyes were opened then (about three weeks ago) and it has been VERY active here lately.

Last night, it had a seizure and has been moving around very little and only on his front legs. His back legs, although he moves them VERY LITTLE in response to a touch, he drags behind him. No vets in my area know much about squirrel's and I haven't found one yet that will inject calcium. I went ahead and crushed 1/8 tsp of a calcium supplement w/ VIT D and mixed with a little warm water. "Twitch" gulped it right down.

I don't quite understand MBD. We have been sure to give Twitch kale and broccoli, an almond now & then. A few sunflower seeds and he loves grapes & strawberries. We tried to give him the Esibilac (?) but he wouldn't take it AT ALL! And I bought the "Science diet for Puppies" and he acts like he'd rather starve to death than eat THAT! What did we do wrong?

Thanks for the info on your site. I hope it works for him.

SUNLIGHT...he needs REAL sunlight by being outside or a special light bulb called a FULL SPECTRUM light...you can buy one at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot etc. You can give him all the calcium in the world but until he has Vitamin D (produced by his body when exposed to UVA and UVB rays) he can't use any of it.

Make sure his diet is as high in calcium-rich foods as possible...broccoli, kale, turnip greens and even oranges have calcium...but don't give too many oranges or he'll probably get loose stools. And daylight daylight daylight!

Cal-tabs (calcium tabs for dogs) can be found in the pet section of most Walmarts or Petco/Petsmart stores...crush those and give them to him in the warm water. If you still have some Esbilac, try mixing a LITTLE heavy whipping cream in with the 2:1 water:esbilac and see if he'll take that.

Yogurt is high in calcium and good for them, too.

Gabe
12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
And now for the medical side - MBD Metabolic bone disease is when the bones don't have enough calcium and therefore lack strength. Picture them as made of rubber, they actually will grow bent, like human rickets. The squirrel is unable to stand or bear weight, because his bones are so soft. They may even break in multiple places. I would keep him confined, don't give him room to climb and therefore fall, be very gentle when handling him.

It can be corrected with the information that Critter Queen offered above.

rygel1hardt
12-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I am in Arkansas and my vet will treat a squirrel. What part of the state are you in? Stacey

Momma Squirrel
12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Has anyone heard talked or emailed squirrelboyzmom?? I am concerned that they haven't checked back on the board to get the info they need. I hate it when people do that, I worry so much that the squirrel isn't getting taken care of :dono

squirrelboyzmom
12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I have been checking and I thank everyone for their information. Unfortunately, Twitch just passed away and it's kinda difficult around here right now, especially for my son. He had gotten really close. Again, thanks for all the information and concern. It was truly nice to have a place to go to get some information. EVERYTHING that was on your site was very helpful. I'll be signing off now. Keep up the WONDERFUL support.

Critter_Queen
12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm so sorry. My heart aches for your family...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
:Cry :sad Rest in peace little squirrel.:Squirrel

Momma Squirrel
12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I am so sorry, thank you for being there for him at the end :grouphug

Gabe
12-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry too.

ravenlaws32
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
damn it , another death. i am sorry for your lose. but bookmark TSB in the future and read up on squirrels and how to help them so down the road if one comes into your care you will be ready for it . :grouphug

Kathy56
12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. Praying for you.:grouphug