PDA

View Full Version : when do I introduce solids to baby raccoon?

squirrelfriend
06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
when do I introduce solids to baby raccoon?

and what are good solids to start with?

vettechmarie
06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
6-7 weeks. Start good quality puppy food and chopped fruit (grapes and bananas are favorites). At first, moisten the kibble with formula and mix mashed banana into it to entice them. If you microwave this dish for about 5 minutes it will allow the kibble to soak up the fluids (so the youngsters do not just lick the yummy stuff off the kibble). Don't use adult dog or cat chow since an adult diet will not be rich enough in some of the nutrients young growing animals need. Once the babies are weaned, fresh fruit and some vegetables should make up about 1/3 of the diet, and puppy chow the other 2/3. Raccoon kits have a sweet tooth, so you must limit sweets for the same reason you would do so with a human child. They can have an occasional arrowroot cookie or fig Newton, but will be happy with treats such as: berries, nuts (almonds are a favourite), eggs, cheese, and dog biscuits.

Great website I found:http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/raccooncare.htm#14

has all of this info :-):wott

Side note: coons LOVE hard boiled eggs.

Rhapsody
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Awwwwww - :Love_Icon (love the pic)
and thanks for the INFO

Fortheloveofanimals
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
We currently have over 50 coons in the rehab right now. We start them with cherrios and formula at first around 5-8 weeks. Then add kitten or puppy chow a little at a time. We then add grapes, blueberries apples etc... after a few more weeks. Along with any other scraps we have. They love anything you give them! Veggies, meat, any left overs!

vettechmarie
06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Awwwwww - :Love_Icon (love the pic)
and thanks for the INFO

No worries! I am learning all of this too :-):jump