PDA

View Full Version : How cute is this?

Wonkawillie
06-05-2011, 12:15 PM
OK, so my near death, semi bloated pinkies pulled through and they are now 11 weeks old, crazy as ever, skin shredding young adults.
They are now out in the release cage days only to start and last night was the first night out in the nest box. I wanted to make sure they were comfortable with the nest box and feeling secure before they stayed out at night. Last night at dusk, boy they wanted to come in. They were pacing the cage. Then 15 mins later they where tucked in the wooden box with all the leaves and blankie.
Today I let them out. They are just going coo-coo in the cage. They want out! The cage is 4 feet x 4 feet, with tight spaced bars for safety, it is on 4 foot high legs too, so they are off the ground pretty well. I let them out today. It was a nice day and they need to see what this world is all about. Sure enough, they scooted way up in the tree where I could not see them. had a moment of regret for a few minutes, but I layed down in the grass looking up into the trees. Sure thing, they came down after 15 minutes of running around. I grabbed them and put them back in the cage. Good first trial. I hope to do this a bit each day or every other, so they can learn the area with the security of the cage for when they are done playing. I fear they may run off and they are young, but This seems to be a soft way to release. Just like a momma squirrel would let them explore in the nest tree, and then call them back.
Should I allow them out this young???? They are not wild at all, but have way more wild instink than others I have raised.
I counted the weeks of age with the days eyes opened as week five. If it was actually week four, then they are 12 weeks old.
During week 10, they both only wanted formula in the am and at night otherwise they would refuse it. Last i tried formula was a few days ago and they both totally refused each time.
So anyway........this is a pic of them eating boo balls from the hole in the box. Silly squirrels!141428

SammysMom
06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
What a cool success story! They are so cute, great job! They seem pretty young to me, but I am no expert so I'm sure one will be along soon. :thumbsup

Rhapsody
06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
............................... Very CUTE!!

UDoWhat
06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Wonkawillie, I have followed this story all along. I am so glad to see how good they look and how they grew to be beautiful squirrels. I usually don't release until about 15-16 weeks. It gives them a little more time to not be so goofy and pay attention to the business. Also gives more time to develop more coordination. JMHO. You know best for your babies. They are darling.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

pappy1264
06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Too young, and they have not been outside nearly long enough. Its ok, let them pace, they will settle (were they used to having out of cage time inside, if so that could be part of it.) Plus this will give them practice hiding when hawks fly over, get used to the local wild life that is already there and grow some more. I think 5-16 weeks is good, and I feel they should be outside 30 days before release, if possible. Do you have any nest boxes up in the trees for them for when they are completely released? You should have some ready to put up in case they do decide to stay out. JMPO.

atlantasquirrelgirl
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I put mine in the release cage around 12 weeks, if they seem mature enough, and then release at 14-15 weeks. I think they are a little young and inexperienced to release, and would give them a couple of weeks in the cage to observe the other adults and learn what hawks are about.

asweetdiversion
06-11-2011, 08:40 PM
omg too cute