PDA

View Full Version : Feeding??

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice on feeding my squirrels.

How many times a day should i feed them..and what size portions of food should i give them each time??

Critter_Queen
12-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Depending on if you mean formula or solids would make a difference here...but generally speaking, you should be able to find your answers here http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255

In addition to the links provided on the page referenced above, if you are talking solids, I would do once or twice a day. Once if you are giving mostly non-perishable items (or at least ones that don't go bad in 10 hours or so) and twice if you give lots of perishables. I usually do one big plate in the morning and a few snacks at dinner time. But my Bitty gets formula in addition to solids still, so I don't worry too much about how much solid food she eats, as long as she's eating it.

Always have fresh water supplied, too...shallow ceramic dishes work great, and other prefer water bottles. I've used both depending on the squirrel.

Oh, and don't forget the sunlight. Squirrels need REAL sunlight (like being outside, not through a window) or full spectrum artificial light for at least 30 minutes a day, preferably longer.

Hope this helps!

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
BTW...
What is the 411 on feeding squirrels yogurt?
Any specific brands?

Gabe
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm not really sure what your question on how much to feed and how often is. The squirrels are five months old, or are these new squirrels? Are you asking about formula or solids?

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah my squirrels are 5 or 6 months old.
Ive had them since they were babys. They are on solid foods and have been for a while but i was just wondering if ive been feeding them enough!

Jus wanted to know whats the average amount of food to feed pet squirrels and how often...

Thanks

Gabe
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
If their bowl seems to be empty shortly after putting the food in, it's not enough. There are no measures we give them, just judge by what they eat. When you fill the bowl in the morning, it should last til mid afternoon. Then in the afternoon, they should get another bowl full that should last them until bedtime.
If they are eating all the grapes and nothing else, give less grapes so they are hungry enough to eat a balanced diet

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I always made mine a nice sized salad, Romaine, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, kale, carrots, they loved digging through it..picking out their favorites. Mid morning I would remove what was left.