PDA

View Full Version : Mites on Wild Nursing Mamas?

Fireweed
05-30-2011, 04:43 PM
There are two wild nursing mamas nesting close to my house who seem to have mites. At first I thought the missing patches of fur on both of them was from the stress of pregnancy/nursing and maybe lack of healthy foods in early spring. But one is looking slightly better now (she moved nests) while the other is looking worse (she's still in the same nest). Both are missing a ton of fur on their tails and both have patches of fur missing and have large sections of gray fur, which is unusual. And they both scratch constantly now. Oh, they're both Red Squirrels.

I don't think we have Mange here :thinking (I've never seen anything that looks like the crustiness associated with mange in the many years I've been observing squirrels). But it does seem to be some kind of mite/pest that I can't see...

Is there something I can use for wild nursing mothers? And/or should I wait until they are no longer nursing? The babies look fine (mom is always cleaning them) but they are scratching too. I won't trap any of them unless *absolutely* necessary. Right now, I'm hoping I can use something on a nut. I FINALLY found someone who can get me meds here but it is through a company that sells meds for cattle, horses, etc. So I'm not sure how dosing would even work if I were to get something through this person or if the meds even translate...

Edit: Also curious if mites are something they can fight off if they are healthy and once they are finished nursing...?

This is Random:
Almost no tail fur!
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/whobyfireweed/fdd36d16.jpg

It's hard to tell from this pic but she is missing patches of fur all over and the grayness of it is not normal...She really looks pathetic.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/whobyfireweed/070abbc5.jpg

gs1
05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
don't know much about mites....

and don't know what medication would help....

but i think of the two medications that are used for 'infestations'

revolution is the safest one ...but you'd need to apply between shoulders ....

and ivertomicin (sp) i don't like...easy to over diagnose and possibly deadly....

especially with baby squirrels....

just my 2 cents... hopefully others will have something....

hugs...

random looks awful ...that tail....

and grey is very strange....

:grouphug

gs1
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
need to rush off ...maybe these posts will give you a clue if you haven't seen them before....:grouphug

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=163&page=1&pp=40&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

Fireweed
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks, G! I've seen those threads... :thumbsup There's nothing crusty, bumpy, red, or scaly. Just missing fur and lots of scratching now. In fact, I was just out there now and she was flipping and sliding and popping and bucking and going crazy trying to get some relief. Ay. I just don't know what to do! I'm sure she feels awful by the looks of it.

I won't be able to get Revolution on her unless I trap her... And I don't want to trap her since she's nursing.

I have two questions I hope someone can answer:

ONE: Is it ok to leave this until she's done nursing?

TWO: If not, what do I use that is safe for both mama and baby?

UDoWhat
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks, G! I've seen those threads... :thumbsup There's nothing crusty, bumpy, red, or scaly. Just missing fur and lots of scratching now. In fact, I was just out there now and she was flipping and sliding and popping and bucking and going crazy trying to get some relief. Ay. I just don't know what to do! I'm sure she feels awful by the looks of it.

I won't be able to get Revolution on her unless I trap her... And I don't want to trap her since she's nursing.

I have two questions I hope someone can answer:

ONE: Is it ok to leave this until she's done nursing?

TWO: If not, what do I use that is safe for both mama and baby?
Hi Fireweed, This is some info I researched on another case, but it was dosed for a grey weighing more than a red. If you use Ivermectin use with caution. Since she is an adult it will be easier to dose. I looked up the reproductive/nursing safety info. Ivermectin is categorized as a Class A drug. That means that it is "Probably safe". There are no reports of adverse effects in nursing laboratory animal studies". It is excreted in milk in low concentrations and is unlikely to cause risk to nursing offspring. I don't know if I like all those words like probably safe and unlikely to cause... You would have to decide and weigh the "probable" or "unlikely" risk. Info is from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 5th edition. I don't know if you think she is terribly miserable, I'm sure babies are too. Poor things.:Love_Icon

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi Fireweed, This is some info I researched on another case, but it was dosed for a grey weighing more than a red. If you use Ivermectin use with caution. Since she is an adult it will be easier to dose. I looked up the reproductive/nursing safety info. Ivermectin is categorized as a Class A drug. That means that it is "Probably safe". There are no reports of adverse effects in nursing laboratory animal studies". It is excreted in milk in low concentrations and is unlikely to cause risk to nursing offspring. I don't know if I like all those words like probably safe and unlikely to cause... You would have to decide and weigh the "probable" or "unlikely" risk. Info is from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 5th edition. I don't know if you think she is terribly miserable, I'm sure babies are too. Poor things.:Love_Icon

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator
recently I also researched this and I agree...
Totally.
same info i came up with ...
and same concerns...
:Love_Icon
Hi Meemor, Moss and FW!:wave123

Fireweed
06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks, UDW and Jackie! I'm so busy lately, I missed your replies. :o
So I'm putting echinacea in water and giving good foods (hhbs, fv, etc), and I'll just wait and see how the mamas do once the babies are weaned. The babies all seem fine--the mom's keep them clean? :dono And Brat seems way better so I'm hoping Random will get better as her baby gets older, too. If Random gets any worse, I may have to reconsider the ivermectin...and if she is the same, I may give it to her when her baby is weaned. But I'm going to also look into some homeopathics I can give with food right now--perhaps I can help her that way, at least until her baby is weaned.

Thanks for your help!

Pointy Tale
06-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Fireweed—Please have the Brat(s) and Random(s) come into the house immediately for a bath while your husband can vacuum their house. [I’m sorry, sometimes I THINK I’m funny, but only to myself—hope you chuckle].

If you need help getting the ivermectin let me know. I’ve used it before in liquid form. [to anyone reading this, I used the product under the direction of a rehabber!]