PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel in Chicago

Garbanzo
05-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Hello, my name is Emil and I live in Chicago. About a month ago I found a baby squirrel in my backyard. He had all his fur and could walk, but not run or climb. My neighbors have big dogs that have been known to kill small animals given the chance.

Being an animal lover my natural instinct was to scoop up the squirrel, bring him in, and call my vet's office. The woman who answered the phone happened to be a rehabilitator and told me to put him back in the yard and see if the mother would come for him.

Well, she didn't. So, I took him in and the woman I had spoken to earlier gave the baby squirrel a flea bath and said she had too many orphans already on hand. So, I volunteered to raise him.

Today, the orphaned squirrel is bigger and eating solid foods. When I'm home he is free to run around the apartment. He's getting better each day at climbing and jumping.

So, now what? I don't think I feel confident about releasing him in the city, what with all the dogs, cats, and traffic.

I would really appreciate advice from you experts. Is releasing him in a forest preserve a better idea? Should I seek out a refuge in Illinois and take him there?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Emil

island rehabber
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Emil we have a wonderful rehabber member here in Princeton,IL: 2ndHandRanchRescue -- I will send her a message directing her to your thread. :thumbsup

2ndHandRanchRescue
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I would love to help release. Take a look at my website to 'Meet' me. I have 2 release pens all empty and ready. I live right off of I-80 - I'm only 1.5 hours from Chicago. (near Starved Rock State Park) I have 100s of acres of woods, oak, Ash & Hickory. No hunting, NO CATS allowed, and feed all winter just to help the little fuzzbutts out. I also have about 10 nest boxes in the woods. So come on down - I'd love to help! PM me or email me - its all good.
TTYS! Nancy
PS I am from Chicago and will send you a great map to get here. I'm home almost every weekend. And Thanks for stopping and rescuing YOU ROCK!!!

island rehabber
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
:thankyou 2HRR!!! :crazy

Garbanzo
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Nancy, thank you! That sounds perfect! Ironically, a high school friend on Facebook has recently rescued an orphaned squirrel, so I may be coming with two!

I'll check out your site right now!

Thanks again. You've made me very happy.

Garbanzo
05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Thank you island rehabber!

2ndHandRanchRescue
05-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Sounds Great - you can follow my rescue on FB too! I post photos there (its so easy and quick) here, and my website. Look forward to it! I'm right off of I-80 then zip down I-180 Mile Marker 61!

lilidukes
05-30-2011, 02:16 PM
This right here is what makes TSB so very awesome.:alright.gif :alright.gif

Jackie in Tampa
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM
:D :alright.gif :bowdown :bowdown