PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Seeds okay for an MBD squirrel?

Tickle's Mom
05-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I have done a search with the words pumpkin seeds and I can't find anything, but I'm sure it's just me.

Tickle has MBD. Can she have pumpkin seeds? If so, how often and quantity? She eats better than we do :thumbsup but I'm looking for a treat when she comes out at playtime. :D

momma2boo
05-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Look in the Nutrition section: Food Data Chart Update

This is what it says for the calcium/phosphorous ratio:

Pumpkin Seed (unr) 43:1174 1.0:27
Pumpkin Seed, roast 43:1172 1.0:27

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15397

momma2boo
05-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I have done a search with the words pumpkin seeds and I can't find anything, but I'm sure it's just me.

Tickle has MBD. Can she have pumpkin seeds? If so, how often and quantity? She eats better than we do :thumbsup but I'm looking for a treat when she comes out at playtime. :D

How long has Tickle had MBD or is it that once you have MBD you always have it ... like still being referred to as an alcoholic even after you've stopped drinking?

Tickle's Mom
05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I got Tickle the day before Thanksgiving. She was paralyzed for a minimum of two weeks before I got her. Fast forward to now - she still drags but has feeling in her right foot and can pull it up underneath her. Left leg - totally numb. She can still zip around like crazy though.

She eats every single item on the protocol list - veggies, blocks, balls, fruit (limited) Tums- you name it, she eats it. I alternate blocks/balls and mix up the veggies on a rotating basis. Apples/carrots are once a week only. I used to give her Ensure every night mixed with the calcium, protein and vita-mins from 4S. She started to get a belly on her so I took her off the Ensure - she wasn't happy but she has gotten over it. I even tried the Terramin Clay.

She eats very well but I really feel, her paralysis is permanent. I know it takes time.......lots of time, but she has not shown any improvement since around the end of March. If this is as good as it will get, can the pumpkin seeds or an occasional walnut/almond/etc hurt her?? And by occasional, I mean, MAYBE once a month?

momma2boo
05-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I got Tickle the day before Thanksgiving. She was paralyzed for a minimum of two weeks before I got her. Fast forward to now - she still drags but has feeling in her right foot and can pull it up underneath her. Left leg - totally numb. She can still zip around like crazy though.

She eats every single item on the protocol list - veggies, blocks, balls, fruit (limited) Tums- you name it, she eats it. I alternate blocks/balls and mix up the veggies on a rotating basis. Apples/carrots are once a week only. I used to give her Ensure every night mixed with the calcium, protein and vita-mins from 4S. She started to get a belly on her so I took her off the Ensure - she wasn't happy but she has gotten over it. I even tried the Terramin Clay.

She eats very well but I really feel, her paralysis is permanent. I know it takes time.......lots of time, but she has not shown any improvement since around the end of March. If this is as good as it will get, can the pumpkin seeds or an occasional walnut/almond/etc hurt her?? And by occasional, I mean, MAYBE once a month?

Can you get her to drink FV straight? Maybe add a drop of almond extract to it to entice her more. I don't see a problem with the occasional nut. Try to stick with those higher in calcium (almonds, hazelnuts, and sesame seeds).

Meanwhile look at the lists in the nutritional section that I gave you the link to. It is a great resource!

Tickle's Mom
05-28-2011, 06:15 PM
I have those lists - they are laminated and in my purse for grocery shopping :D

Tickle chewed through a fleece cover on the top of her cage to tip over my bird bowls and eat Rhoudybush bird food!:osnap

She will eat anything you put in front of her. Kinda like my DH :hidechair

Kelly Brady
05-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I have those lists - they are laminated and in my purse for grocery shopping :D

Tickle chewed through a fleece cover on the top of her cage to tip over my bird bowls and eat Rhoudybush bird food!:osnap

She will eat anything you put in front of her. Kinda like my DH :hidechair

I have also laminated my lists. Sometimes I just need to look at it to remember things for variety in their life. Tickle sounds adorable. I wish I could meet some of TSB fuzzers. , Where would Tickle be without you?
Leigh is wonderful for tweaking and approving a MBD diet. She is my personal fuzzer diet consultant. :osnap Good luck with the possible pumkin seed:rotfl

Tickle's Mom
05-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Tickle gets calcium 4X a day - morning, lunch, afternoon and before bed. I think it was 4S who suggested four times a day instead of one/two.Doses are 100 mg am, 200 mg at lunch, and 100 mg afternoon and evening.

She gets balls/blocks twice a day with veggies, morning and afternoon and straight veggies at lunch. Evening is reserved for fruits/flowers/buds IF she has eaten all of her calcium. If not, she gets more veggies.

She has no problem eating whatever I put in her cage - but she will not eat dandelion greens at all. I have a Food Saver system and I use it for the blueberries and strawberries and freeze them.

A neighbor gave me quite a few acorns and I sent them to someone on the board. Another friend, whose parents are peanut farmers in Sylvester Georgia, sent me a huge bag of shelled peanuts - I sent them along too.

I got a large bag of pumpkin seeds for my birds - and was wondering if it will hurt Tickle to have one or two a month. She came to me paralyzed the day before Thanksgiving -had been that way at least two weeks- great improvement but still, the left leg is just totally numb. NO feeling whatsoever. And it has not slowed her down - she zips along like a firecracker. :D

gs1
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
i think that almonds are fairly good with the phosphorus/calcium ratio.

i was feeding soaked(aprx 24 hours/rinsed 3 times in a glass jar) almonds to my wilds and they love them... ellie was almost choking she was eating so fast.....

i asked for opionions in the thread below 2 years ago....

it looks like soaking the almonds makes the calcium/phos ratio better ...although that doesn't make sense ... but as legomom said a ratio of
2:1 is best.....

i guess for treats too .... maybe something like the mealworms? they give to flyers?:thinking

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16330&highlight=sprouted

ps: if she was taking ensure mixed with her vitamins what is she taking those vitamins in now?

and just cause i want to make her happy .... can she have ensure if it's mixed with water ...so she's getting half the calouries??? ((:D i love the idea of a tummy on a squirrel... although ofcourse i don't want her over weight and getting diabetes etc.... )

and... do you have maple trees down there? ... right now the seed pods are coming off the trees and they're supposed to be very high in calcium....i was told this several years ago by a tsber ... but i forget who....

oh edit: ... leigh said no ensure long term.... (sorry tickle... i tried ... :Love_Icon )

Tickle's Mom
05-29-2011, 12:03 PM
She is taking vitamins with water via syringe or with a little FV. Forgot to mention the FV. She will go ballistic when she sees a syringe - thinks it's Ensure. Good idea to dilute. Never thought of that.:thumbsup

She eats balls/blocks every single day without fail- nothing to waste either:thumbsup

And yes, we have maples and ours (a silver) sprouted a few months back. It was like overnight too. I have a butterfly garden so she gets the hibiscus flowers from there too.

I know MBD is a long process - I get that, I am just thinking she has reached her optimum.

gs1
05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
dilute and maybe flavour the fv instead? ...

whats the flavour of the ensure?

if vanilla or almond maybe some tiny bit of natural vanilla or natural almond extract in the fv too???

ps: sprouted (actually soaked, almonds are not sprouted) ... are very good and healthy for humans too ...with calcium etc... i can go through half a cup just by myself....

:D

Tickle's Mom
05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Sorry - my dog Bella has been having seizures for two days now.:shakehead

The Ensure was Vanilla....had bought it for MIL but she decided to drink them like water, which resulted in numerous baths!!! WAAAAAY too much sugar!

Almonds - I could eat them 24/7 :Love_Icon

gs1
05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry - my dog Bella has been having seizures for two days now.:shakehead

The Ensure was Vanilla....had bought it for MIL but she decided to drink them like water, which resulted in numerous baths!!! WAAAAAY too much sugar!

Almonds - I could eat them 24/7 :Love_Icon

:grouphug does it ever get easier at your place????

:Love_Icon Bella ... is this normal for her?

MIL .... omg.... :Love_Icon

Tickle's Mom
05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
:grouphug does it ever get easier at your place????

:Love_Icon Bella ... is this normal for her?

MIL .... omg.... :Love_Icon

Bella seizes for two weeks straight then absolutely nothing. Happy as if she had good sense. Then, it starts all over again anytime between 6-8 weeks. It's her normal at this point. My chihuahua Allee warns us during the night when Bella seizes. I then move her playpen into our room - easier on me - until the two week period is over.

YES - it gets easier :rotfl MIL is in daycare three days a week for 4 hours:alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif
Just started last week! :wahoo :wahoo

LG - Life's Good

and Tickle is staring me down right now wanting to come out:tilt