PDA

View Full Version : Head injury, trapping and my broken heart...

Kanes
05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Where to start? So much has happen in the last few days. Very brief back ground... I found Baby in July 2010 and released Nov. He was happy, healthy and connecting with other squirrel's and he survived the PA winter well.
A few days back I didn't see him for a few days. I thought he was busy playing in the nice weather. When he showed up he had dried blood covering his head and it filled both ears. He ran away quickly until the following morning when I was able to asses the injury. After cleaning away the dried blood from both ears the injury or cut did not seem very deep. He had bruising on the back of his head between both ears. I kept him in the house for the day treated the wound. By the next morning he was wanting to return to the trees. He stayed close to home for the next three days and was acting normal and eating well.
This morning my neighbor walked over and told me he had been bitten by a squirrel. He was in the process of trying to trap it. I ask when he was bitten and it was a few days before Baby came home with the head injury.

So my problem is two fold.
1. I saw Baby yesterday morning and he was acting funny. I'm not sure if he head injury is more serious then it presented a few days ago. I need him look at.
2. Baby is in danger of being trapped! I need to get him in a safe location. I haven't seen Baby this afternoon.

If any of the senior members has a moment to talk to me on the phone I would greatly appreciate it!

Kanes
05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Most resent picture...waiting for him to come home.

CritterMom
05-27-2011, 01:48 PM
You need to get him before your neighbor does. First, I would load my backyard with everything he likes. Second, you need to neutralize your neighbor's trap without him knowing it. Please don't think I am being completely insane, but I would be over there the minute I see the guy leaving, and I would make sure that when I left that trap he has is soaked in urine. He will not notice it but the squirrels, especially with a buffet next door, sure won't be going into it. He won't be able to figure out why he doesn't catch anyone.

Once you have your baby the next step will be to get him inside and get him assessed.

gs1
05-27-2011, 01:49 PM
ok... not much that i can contribute... but ....

how does your neighbour know which squirrel bit him?

they can all look so similar....

is it possible that someone hit baby because baby was acting too friendly towards them and they were scared?

also ... i'd catch baby as soon as possible and keep him inside ...that head injury can be more serious than a simple cut.... i'd assess him for at least a week.... and you have a problem with your neighbour....

there have been so many neighbour problems on tsb lately with people shooting them, trapping and killing them etc....

:grouphug

mugzeezma
05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Most resent picture...waiting for him to come home.

Squirrels are not a rabies vector species...is that why your neighbor is trying to trap him?
Was he bitten when hand feeding Baby?
I will talk to you but I don't know what I can add other than you need to catch Baby before your neighbor does.

mpetys
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I have nothing to offer but prayers that you are able to trap Baby before the neighbor. Is that his name, Baby? Oh, did Baby have a release cage that you could put out again in hopes that he may take up in it?

Michele

SammysMom
05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I just soaked a trap next door with ammonia. I thought since Chris from Sq and More suggested ammonia soaked rags in the attic to get them out is might help. What happened to just being a decent human being?:grouphug
I used a large water gun to do it so as not to trespass.

stepnstone
05-27-2011, 02:05 PM
I just soaked a trap next door with ammonia. I thought since Chris from Sq and More suggested ammonia soaked rags in the attic to get them out is might help. What happened to just being a decent human being?:grouphug
I used a large water gun to do it so as not to trespass.

Watch him think a squirrel pee'd on his trap. :rotfl

Kanes
05-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reply's...it worries me greatly that I haven't seen him. My neighbor does not know I rehabbed. I kept it quiet. I believe Baby was born into a litter of three. My neighbor stated the conversation by saying the three squirrel's born last year were different. More aggressive and less afraid of people. They do run in a pack. One approached him ran up his leg and bite him on the thigh. The neighbor doesn't know which one bite him but I think he has an idea. I'm not sure it was Baby but with his injury I am afraid it was. He has a heavy squirrel population in his yard. He is aware and I thought animal friendly. Once he saw the squirrel feeder and nesting box in my back yard he stopped talking.

SammysMom
05-27-2011, 02:10 PM
This guy will be lucky if he still has a trap! It is juusssttt out of reach. The cover of darkness is all I need. He had better not be leaving that out after dark anyway. A raccoon will get hurt if it goes into it as it is small and our raccoons are HUGE. It would serve him right if it was a skunk that could get him in the face, but that would be a death sentence for the skunk. :sanp3

astra
05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Oh Goodness,
have nothing to add, except that try to pour urine or whatever on the trap sooner than asap, and keep an eye on the trap. If he does end up trapping someone, and you see that before him, maybe, you could take the squirrel, apologize and come up with some kind of excuse why you did that (say, your cat got trapped by mistake or something).:thinking
Sending prayers and good thoughts... please keep updates...

TinyPaws
05-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I am praying for Baby to come home...Hugs.

Pierre
05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
You need to get him before your neighbor does. First, I would load my backyard with everything he likes. Second, you need to neutralize your neighbor's trap without him knowing it. Please don't think I am being completely insane, but I would be over there the minute I see the guy leaving, and I would make sure that when I left that trap he has is soaked in urine. He will not notice it but the squirrels, especially with a buffet next door, sure won't be going into it. He won't be able to figure out why he doesn't catch anyone.

Once you have your baby the next step will be to get him inside and get him assessed.

:goodpost

He is adorable, I hope you catch him and bring him inside soon! It's not safe for him out there now. :grouphug

Pierre
05-27-2011, 04:46 PM
If he does end up trapping someone, and you see that before him, maybe, you could take the squirrel, apologize and come up with some kind of excuse why you did that (say, your cat got trapped by mistake or something).:thinking

Good idea!! :thumbsup

Stanley
05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
We've had in our local park from time to time, rat bait poison traps set out, and I read somewhere that the best thing was to take Organic Drain Cleaner and pour it in a circle around any trap. A Sql could wander in and eat the poison otherwise.

Squirrels will be repelled, and it's invisible. Also easier to handle than urine.

Two minor points to discuss with your neighbor: the CDC has never found or recorded any Sql to human rabies transmission period in the history of the US. You can Google this.

It is not good to feed a wild Sql by hand (sounds like he was trying this). They cannot see well right under their nose, and therefore, it is not unusual to be bitten by accident if the food offered is held by the fingertips.

Final point: many states and municipalities outlaw all trapping of animals and/or transporting them without a license, even on your own property.

Good luck.

Kanes
05-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I have nothing to offer but prayers that you are able to trap Baby before the neighbor. Is that his name, Baby? Oh, did Baby have a release cage that you could put out again in hopes that he may take up in it?

Michele
Thanks Michele your prayers are most appreciated. I haven't seen Baby today. Now it is getting dark so hopefully I will tomorrow.
His name is Baby. He chose it! When he first came to me I called him little Mr. McSquirrel. I didn't pick a name knowing release was pending. Every time I called him Baby his little ears would perk up so the name stuck.

mugzeezma
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks Michele your prayers are most appreciated. I haven't seen Baby today. Now it is getting dark so hopefully I will tomorrow.
His name is Baby. He chose it! When he first came to me I called him little Mr. McSquirrel. I didn't pick a name knowing release was pending. Every time I called him Baby his little ears would perk up so the name stuck.
:thumbsup
find
;)

Kanes
05-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Update...it had been a day of planning, waiting for Baby and worrying about all involved. The day has come and gone and no sign of Baby. Which is not unusual. So I am hoping for the best.
Tomorrow I should know more. I have several plan of actions to consider. Hoping to do the next right thing.
1. Babies safty
2. Assess head injury
3. Located trap
4. Pee on trap
5. Crush trap with my bear hands
6. Plan relocation (sad)

Moneypenny4M
05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Where to start? So much has happen in the last few days. Very brief back ground... I found Baby in July 2010 and released Nov. He was happy, healthy and connecting with other squirrel's and he survived the PA winter well.
A few days back I didn't see him for a few days. I thought he was busy playing in the nice weather. When he showed up he had dried blood covering his head and it filled both ears. He ran away quickly until the following morning when I was able to asses the injury. After cleaning away the dried blood from both ears the injury or cut did not seem very deep. He had bruising on the back of his head between both ears. I kept him in the house for the day treated the wound. By the next morning he was wanting to return to the trees. He stayed close to home for the next three days and was acting normal and eating well.
This morning my neighbor walked over and told me he had been bitten by a squirrel. He was in the process of trying to trap it. I ask when he was bitten and it was a few days before Baby came home with the head injury.

So my problem is two fold.
1. I saw Baby yesterday morning and he was acting funny. I'm not sure if he head injury is more serious then it presented a few days ago. I need him look at.
2. Baby is in danger of being trapped! I need to get him in a safe location. I haven't seen Baby this afternoon.

If any of the senior members has a moment to talk to me on the phone I would greatly appreciate it!

Baby is a beautiful squirrel! Hope he comes back SOON!

Twi_prime
05-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Good luck Kanes. I hope everything turns out great for you and Baby.:grouphug

squirrelfriend
05-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Baby is absolutely precious! What a cute little guy. Other than putting out your own have a hart trap for your little guy I have no idea what to do. I like the ideas of soaking the neighbors trap with urine or amonia. The water gun idea is genious!

TinyPaws
05-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have an update?

SammysMom
05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Just checking in...:grouphug

Lulu2010
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug
Praying for good news with Baby.