PDA

View Full Version : Wild babies – pics included! Severe weather prep?

nnmaru1
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi all, long time no post :)

We have a new batch (3) of grey juvies, 8-9 weeks I think. Living in a giant maple by our deck.
They are doing really well, I’ve been watching closely. Like fruit, also occasional rodent chow and shelled no-salt peanuts.

Very active and playful (as you see getting a good use of my cat’s slim-a-ball toy, which my cat ignores).

What else can we do to enrich them and help them grow? They try to build their own practice nests – any materials to put out?
Any foods especially good for them?

Also –we’ve been having unusually severe weather in Illinois…. Many storms, lots of rain.
Anything I can do for additional shelter? We have a garden shack they can use but I think they are too skittish to go inside.
I’m a little worried thinking of them sitting in their branch nest in the pouring rain, nights still drop to low 50s.

Thanks.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/nnmaru1/babysqmellon1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/nnmaru1/babySQblueball1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/nnmaru1/babySQballmelon1.jpg

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi all, long time no post :)

We have a new batch (3) of grey juvies, 8-9 weeks I think. Living in a giant maple by our deck.
They are doing really well, I’ve been watching closely. Like fruit, also occasional rodent chow and shelled no-salt peanuts.

Very active and playful (as you see getting a good use of my cat’s slim-a-ball toy, which my cat ignores).

What else can we do to enrich them and help them grow? They try to build their own practice nests – any materials to put out?
Any foods especially good for them?

Also –we’ve been having unusually severe weather in Illinois…. Many storms, lots of rain.
Anything I can do for additional shelter? We have a garden shack they can use but I think they are too skittish to go inside.
I’m a little worried thinking of them sitting in their branch nest in the pouring rain, nights still drop to low 50s.

Thanks.

sosososssoooooCUTE!!!
I love the bal pic!

you know I'm here if you need me right?

these are wild babies and they will be fine in their nest of sticks and leaves...if it ain't broke don't fix it...

I'm here to help if somebody get's injured though.

nnmaru1
05-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks MM!

all right, I'll take a chill pill... the storms and all, hope they'll keep warm and
growing.

their mama is tame (I swear, we did nothing to cause it), she sort of follows us around the yard, and jumped on my hub's lap to get peanuts few times.

ONE of the three sibs (not on the pics, he doesn't come down often) is a little runt, much smaller then the two.... Is there anything we can offer him - vitamin, fortified food etc - to help him grow?

he is about 2/3 of a size the other two.

Mugz - is it normal to have such size discrepancy in the same litter? just want to beef him up a little.
we have a mean robbin who dive-bombs the little kid, and likely that's why is spends most of time in the tree... so I really want to beef him up a little - if that makes sense of course. i know, tinfoil - but he is tiny...

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks MM!

all right, I'll take a chill pill... the storms and all, hope they'll keep warm and
growing.

their mama is tame (I swear, we did nothing to cause it), she sort of follows us around the yard, and jumped on my hub's lap to get peanuts few times.

ONE of the three sibs (not on the pics, he doesn't come down often) is a little runt, much smaller then the two.... Is there anything we can offer him - vitamin, fortified food etc - to help him grow?

he is about 2/3 of a size the other two.

Mugz - is it normal to have such size discrepancy in the same litter? just want to beef him up a little.
we have a mean robbin who dive-bombs the little kid, and likely that's why is spends most of time in the tree... so I really want to beef him up a little - if that makes sense of course. i know, tinfoil - but he is tiny...
Peanut butter on a rat block?
Nutri Cal on a nut?
It's officially BooBall day for some weird reason :thinking
You can offer those, otherwise if he is getting too down lets come up with another plan...he's young enough to catch and try to build up.

I have had some size discrepancies but not big ones like you are describing. He probably had trouble competing for some reason.

astra
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
how adorable they are!
I make BBalls (yes, it is a BooBall day, for whatever reason;-)) for my wilds - they eat them.
I also give them avocado - they love it, of course.

Rescue04
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
they are soooo cute....boo balls are easy to make and good for all the babies. keep posting pics when you can!!

nnmaru1
05-25-2011, 05:28 PM
thanks all!!!!

i'll try the boo balls, p-butter on block, avocado (no skin, I know ;P )

the runty baby appears healthy and agile, just really teeny...even the darn robbin spooks him.

i think he/she will be ok, with some extra eats. there is a fork/crook in the maple they live on, so I can put some food there for him, when the rest of the crew is tearing around our deck. he won't need to come down for it.

i'll try to catch more pics or a video.

nnmaru1
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
quick update - all are fine, including the baby runt (who is now only 9% smaller then the other two... all three are huge, basically adults. the smallest one has a looong tail and a big head, very cute).

here is the VIDEO of the smaller one making friends with our yard bunny (he wants nothing to do with her, lol):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n96fJE_na-Y

here is the mama SQs (she is very partial to my hubby... follows him around, etc as he is home days and she is a hopeless peanut addict):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-m0Ow-mYoE

Skul
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
They're such a hoot when they're young.
Porr bun just wasn't quite sure what to think.