PDA

View Full Version : Food issues....Squirrley is a maniac!

kissle13
05-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Is this normal activity???
Squirrley is now just over 6wks & is at 220 grams, loves blueberries and apples, & kale. Dosent really care for carrots or rodent block, but she nibbles. Wont touch cherry tomatoes or cucumber. I give her 12cc of formula @ 4am, 8am, 5pm, 8pm, & 11pm.(she always has a plate of food in her cage).

So here is the issue .....just in the last week when I feed her the formula she turns into a wild woman! She grunts, nugges, circles my arms & climbs all over me. I first warm up the formula and draw 5ccs before I take her out of her cage, when she is done with the first 5 and im trying to draw another she goes crazy on me:gun2 , she has knocked over the formula I was trying to draw from a few times, tries to put her face into the glass the formula is in and tears up my hands. Everytime I feed her she seems like she is starving. Ive tried to give her the formula in a bowl but she wont lap at it.

Is this normal behavior? What else should I try feeding her to make her satisfied?
I also just last night got some raw almonds and she really likes them. What is the limit on almonds per day?

Thank you!:thankyou :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Oh YEAH...this is SOOOO normal
I had to wean the lugnuts to a bowl because they became so frantic they were EATING THE NIPPLE and would bite of the ends of the syringes!!!! I ran out of BOTH!!!! Mine are a bit older...I thicken with infant oatmeal and feed BooBalls with formula in them.
Start by putting a small bowl of soaked block with formula poured over it in the cage....feed nothing else but you 4 times a dAy syringe feeding... you can try wrapping the babies in a towel when you feed then too...yes they squirm out...yes they DIVE into the glass
This is the fun part :rotfl
It's VERY messy but only for awhile,,,this too shall pass
keep regular block in there to nom on

Anne
05-25-2011, 09:20 AM
:rotfl Yep! Squirrel behavior at it's finest. Fill several syringes at one time and chain feed them to her. Have to do that a lot here in rotating cycles.:jump :jump :jump
Every thing is going normally if there really is such a thing with squirrels.tinfoil :D

kissle13
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
What are Booballs?

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
What are Booballs?
Ill have Julie give that to you ...:D

Pierre
05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
What are Booballs?

There should be a thread for these under Nutrition. My boy loved them as a baby and still loves them as an adult!

I mixed them pretty runny [extra formula] and served them in a bowl at first. He lapped/ate them that way for awhile. :D I've tasted them, LOL. They're pretty good!

mpetys
05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Oh YEAH...this is SOOOO normal
I had to wean the lugnuts to a bowl because they became so frantic they were EATING THE NIPPLE and would bite of the ends of the syringes!!!! I ran out of BOTH!!!!

I hate when they start doing that; especially when the little boogers bite the end off and then run off with it, thinking they got something good! When I go from they syringe to a bowl, I use something in between that, for me, speeds up the transition with less mess! I use a ceramic dish like the ones you put under a potted plant. About 5" in diameter. They cannot tip this over! I start out with just enough formula just barely covering the bottom. This allows the squirrel, especially if they are scared of new things, to check it out and lick the dish. I eventually add more to it and eventually swith over to a bowl.

These dishes also are great for feeding salads also; especially if you have squirrels that will throw everything out while they look for their favorites.

Michele

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Here is the recipe and instructions for my Boo Balls:

There have been a couple of changes. I used to use Kaytee and HT. I now only use Harlan Teklad. I also alternate the type of nuts I use to keep my squirrels from becoming bored. I use almonds, pecans, or sometimes I mix a bit of waltnuts in with one of the others.

Ingredients:

50 grams rodent block (crushed to a fine powder) I use Harlan Teklad 2018.

50 grams powdered Fox Valley squirrel formula. I use 32/40.

50 grams crushed nuts. I NEVER use peanuts.

3 capsules of Multidolphilus.

20 grams "organic" coconut oil (melted)

1 jar (approximately 100 grams) of Earth's Best Organic baby food fruit (I use apples and plums) (The jar is more like 110 or so grams. I use the whole thing.)

Directions for mixing:

Mix dry ingredients together well (including the multidolphilus powder from inside the capsules).

Mix organic baby food fruit in to your dry ingredients until well blended. It will seem very wet.

Mix coconut oil into the mixture until well blended. I've been adding less with the warmer weather. I add the full amount in the winter.

Put in the refrigerator for 5 hours (Overnight is even better). This lets it set up. It softens/moistens the rodent block and dissolves the FV.

Once you are ready to serve it take out about a 1/2 tsp (5 grams) of the mixture and roll is in your hands but not so much that it will melt the coconut oil. Give it to your squirrel.

Pierre
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
BTW
I had nothing to do with the creation...M2B did fed them to Boo and his brother for nearly a decade...

Wow, a decade! I didn't know that. Very nice to know!

My guy has loved boo balls and is very healthy, active, fast, and has a wonderful coat and tail. It's made of great stuff.

Wonkawillie
05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I told ya you would enjoy her but might be ready to boot her out when she gets a bit older:D
Yup, they can get totally crazy at milk time! Mine are now about 8 weeks and have actually refused a feeding here and there. They do wean themselves, and this is the start for me. Mine a crazy too and play and jump from the couch to the chairs, to y kids headsm etc. It is hard to get them enough time out to play hard enough to be tierd out. But we manage somehow. At night they still love to get into my bathrobe, froom themselves and just snuggle. But during the day it is PLAY TIME!!!
So glad she has done so well for you.

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I told ya you would enjoy her but might be ready to boot her out when she gets a bit older:D
Yup, they can get totally crazy at milk time! Mine are now about 8 weeks and have actually refused a feeding here and there. They do wean themselves, and this is the start for me. Mine a crazy too and play and jump from the couch to the chairs, to y kids headsm etc. It is hard to get them enough time out to play hard enough to be tierd out. But we manage somehow. At night they still love to get into my bathrobe, froom themselves and just snuggle. But during the day it is PLAY TIME!!!

:goodpost back on task :goodpost

Pierre
05-25-2011, 01:06 PM

:goodpost Agreed.

Grayson used to jump on my hands pushing and nudging as I was trying to re-fill the syringe. Totally in the way! He would slip into the formula [fun to clean] and make a huge mess. He just couldn't wait 15 seconds for me to re-fill it! Sheesh.

I should have done what was suggested earlier and had a bunch of syringes filled ahead of time so that you just swap them out with no down time. :) That might work for you!

:grouphug

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
:goodpost Agreed.

Grayson used to jump on my hands pushing and nudging as I was trying to re-fill the syringe. Totally in the way! He would slip into the formula [fun to clean] and make a huge mess. He just couldn't wait 15 seconds for me to re-fill it! Sheesh.

I should have done what was suggested earlier and had a bunch of syringes filled ahead of time so that you just swap them out with no down time. :) That might work for you!

:grouphug

Anne fills her syringes and puts them in a mug with warm/hot water. They are locked and loaded and ready to go. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Anne fills her syringes and puts them in a mug with warm/hot water. They are locked and loaded and ready to go. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
That's what I do...and then I get the goofy lucy's that launch out of my hand and grab the syringe and feed them selves:crazy :crazy :crazy

Ani was the one that did that little trick ...I had to chase her all over the kitchen to get it back!!!.
SHe was also big on diving straight into the formula cup.

That girl was SERIOUS about her chow!

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
That's what I do...and then I get the goofy lucy's that launch out of my hand and grab the syringe and feed them selves:crazy :crazy :crazy

Ani was the one that did that little trick ...I had to chase her all over the kitchen to get it back!!!.
SHe was also big on diving straight into the formula cup.

That girl was SERIOUS about her chow!

Thankfully I have hubby's extra set of hands. I have the syringes locked and loaded ... he gets ready to help me with the bait and switch. The squirrel barely notices. It's "suck-suck, slurp, search, suck-suck-suck-suck". LOL

Pierre
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
:jump

Look mommy, I can do it all by myself!

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Thankfully I have hubby's extra set of hands. I have the syringes locked and loaded ... he gets ready to help me with the bait and switch. The squirrel barely notices. It's "suck-suck, slurp, search, suck-suck-suck-suck". LOL

You tellin me i need a MAN!!!! get outa TOWN!!!!:rotfl

Pierre
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Nice system! Good hubster.

island rehabber
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=649375#post649375

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
You tellin me i need a MAN!!!! get outa TOWN!!!!:rotfl

I would never make anyone get a man. Although, if you want mine I do loan him out ... at no charge. Sometimes I'll even offer to pay YOU to take him. :D

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I would never make anyone get a man. Although, if you want mine I do loan him out ... at no charge. Sometimes I'll even offer to pay YOU to take him. :D
thanks Julie
:jump
He's kinda cute :wave123 but I think I'll pass
I already have a couple of those sniffin' around :D

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
I already have a couple of those sniffin' around :D

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
Worse than raccoons and not as cute :shakehead

kissle13
05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Thank you all! :thankyou
I just ordered a few more syringes....ill be waiting by the door for those to come!!
It will be nice to have those ready to go. Thats why i switched to the the 5cc syringe...cuz refilling 10+ times with the 1cc..., good lord i thought she was going to explode!!! lol.

Whats the limit on almonds?
:Love_Icon

momma2boo
05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
I just ordered a few more syringes....ill be waiting by the door for those to come!!
It will be nice to have those ready to go. Thats why i switched to the the 5cc syringe...cuz refilling 10+ times with the 1cc..., good lord i thought she was going to explode!!! lol.

Just be sure you have really REALLY good control since the bigger the syringe the more likely of aspiration. I personally like the 3 and 5 cc syringes. I can't control the 1cc very well. Of course, I don't hold the syring like a syring though (carpal tunnel and nerve damage) since I don't have enough control that way. I hold the barrel in the palm of my hand, place a couple of my fingers inbetween the syring and the plunger and my thumb on the plunger. I have extreme control like that. HOWEVER, not everyone does. Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you.

EDIT: I should've added that I only use the 5cc for squirrels almost at the weaning age (I don't even have to push the plunger ... they suck the plunger in). I would never nor would I suggest to anyone to use the 5 cc for a baby. NEVER EVER EVER :nono

mugzeezma
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM

NONE for now
Nuts are squirrel crack
You want to wait on those until they are established on ratblaock

island rehabber
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I would be VERY careful using that 5cc. Personally I don't use anything bigger than a 3cc.
There are two ways ou can minimize the crazy scrambling between syringes:
* feed her through the bars of the cage. She will stand and slurp, and although it gets all over them sometimes it is a very efficient way of feeding. For my purposes it also minimizes handling and helps with the wilding up process.

*take her out and put her on your lap with a piece of fleece over her except her head. With your left hand, hold her down gently and feed her with your right, or vice versa if you're lefty. She'll learn after a few feedings that if she wriggles out of your left hand she's not gonna get anything.