PDA

View Full Version : Bee Pollen

mpetys
05-21-2011, 03:01 PM
This is for anyone to answer but I am hoping that Leigh with weigh in. I am wondering if bee pollen is beneficial to squirrels. If so, how much? I am starting to use it on a daily basis for myself. Got interested in it when hubby became a beekeeper. Anyhow, it is known as a superfood. Here is a link to a site with analysis: http://www.joebees.com/analysis.html

Vitamins:
Provitamin A (carotenoids) 5-9 mg
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) 9.2 micrograms
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B5 (panothenic acid)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) 5 micrograms
Vitamin B12 (cyamoco balamin)
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Vitamin D - Vitamin E
Vitamin H (biotin)
Vitamin K. Choline. Inositol
Folic Acid, 5 micrograms
Pantothenic acid 20-50 micrograms/gram
Rutin. 16 milligrams
Rutin in beehive pollen 13%
Vitamin PP (nicotinicamide)

Fatty Acids (Conifer Pollen)

Total list identified are:
Caproic (C-6) - Caprylic (C-8)
Capric (C-10) - Lauric (C-12)
Myristic (C-14) - Palmitic (C-16)
Palmitoleic (C-15) one double bond
Uncowa - Stearic (C-18)
Oleic (C-18) one double bond
Linoleic (C-18) two double bonds
Arachidic (C-20) - Stearic (C-22)
Limolenic (C-18 three double bonds)
Eicosanoic (C-20 one double bond)
Brucic (C-22 one double bond)
Pseudotduga dry pollen contains
0.76-0.89 % fatty acid. Major are:
Oleic, Palmitic, Linoleic.

Pigments:
Xarmmepayll, (20-150 micrograms per gram.)
Carotates (50-150 micrograms per gram.) Alpha & Beta Carotene

Minerals:
Calcium
Phosphorus
Iron
Copper
Potassium
Magnesium
Manganese
Silica
Sulphur
Sodium
Titanium
Zinc
Iodine
Chlorine
Boron-Molydbenum

Enzymes & Co-enzymes:
Disstase
Phosphatase
Amylase
Cataiase
Saccharase
Diaphorase
Pectase
Cozymase
Cytochrome systems
Lactic dehydrogenase
Succinic dehydrogenase

Note: The cozymase in mixed fresh pollen runs about 0.5-1 .0 milligram per gram. comparable to the amounts in yeast. (Bee pollen contains all known enzymes & co-enzymes and probably all that will be known in the future.)

Fats & Oils: - 5%
Fatty acid (may be 5.8%)
Hexadecanol may be 0.14% of pollen by weight.
Alpha-amino butyric acid is present in pollen fat.
Unsaponifiable fraction of pollen may be
2.6% by weight.
Water: 3-20% of fresh pollen

Proteins, Globulins, Peptones, and Amino Acids:
7-35%. average 20%: 40-50%
may be free amino acids: 10-13% consists
of amino acids in dry pollen.
35 grams of pollen per day can satisfy the
protein requirements of man. 25 grams of
pollen per day can sustain man because it
contains 6.35 grams as indicated by Rose.
Plus other amino acids.
Carbohydrates:
Gums - Pentosans - Cellulose Sporonine
(7-57% of pollen of various species:
29% in bee collected.)
Starch (0-22% of pollen)
Total sugars (30-40%)
Levulose or fruit sugar / fructose
Glucose or grape sugar
Reducing sugars (0.1-19%)
Bee-collected: Non-reducing sugar 2.71%.
Reducing: 18.82-41.21% Mean. 25.71%

A nutrient is a molecule you must have, but the body cannot manufacture. You have to ingest (eat) it. If you don't have it, at first you will not feel well. It you don't get it for a longer time, you will begin to feel sick. If you don't get it for too long a time you are probably going to die.

Each ounce of honeybee pollen contains just 28 calories. Only 7 grams are carbohydrate, plus 15% Lecithin, the substance that burns away fat and 25% is pure protein.

Miscellaneous:
Waxes, Resins, Steroids, Growth Factors, Growth Isorhanetin, Vernine, Guanine, Xanthine, Hypoxanthine, Nuclein, Amines, Lecithin, Glucoside of Isorhanstin, Glycosides of Quercetir, Selenium, Nucleic acids flavonoids, phenolic acids, tarpenes & many other yet undefined nutrients.

Pollen contains the same number of amino acids, but vary greatly in quantity of each:
tryptophan 1.6% - Leucine 5.6% Lysine 5.7% - Isoleucine 4.7% Methionine 1.7% - Cystine 0.6% Thresonine 4.6% - Arginine 4.7% Phenylalanine 3.5% - Histidine 1.5% Valine 6.0% - Glutamic acid 2.1% Tyrosine - Glycine - Serine - Proline - Alanine - Aspartic acid Hydroxyproline - Butyric Acid.
Twenty-eight minerals are found in the human body. Fourteen are vital, essential elements present in such small amounts that they are called - "micro- nutrients." Honeybee pollen contains all 28 minerals:

Nucleosides
Guanine
Hexodecanol
Auxins
Xanthine
Alpha-Amino-Butyric Acid
Brassins
Hypoxalthine
Monoglycerides
Gibberellins
Crocetin
Diglycerides
Kinins
Zeaxanthin
triglycerides
Vernine
Lycopene
Peutosaus

This is all mumbo jumbo to me but hoping some with nutrition expertise will chime in (Leigh ??)

Michele

mpetys
05-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I am trying to find information from an unbiased source; that is, from a study not related to someone selling it! :D

Michele

momma2boo
05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I know my husband is a firm believer in Bee Pollen. I also know that rats' RDA is very similar to humans.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:w0y-pImxwS0J:www.drugs.com/npp/bee-pollen.html+can+rats+have+bee+pollen&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Premenstrual syndrome and menopausal symptoms
Animal data

In a study of mice, Melbrosia , a product containing pollen, perga-pollen (bee bread), and royal jelly, was given in doses of 6, 60, and 600 mg/kg orally for 3 days to groups of 10 immature rats. Subcutaneous Melbrosia was administered in the same doses to groups of 12 ovariectomized rats for 3 days. Estrogenic effects were not evident with Melbrosia therapy. 18

Clinical data

In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study, the effect of Femal (an herbal remedy containing pollen extract 36 mg, combined pollen and pistil extract 120 mg, and royal jelly 6 mg) on premenstrual syndrome (PMS) was assessed in 32 women with regular menstrual cycles. Each participant received Femal or placebo for 2 consecutive menstrual cycles, followed by the alternate treatment for 2 more consecutive cycles. Three women dropped out of the study and 29 participants were included in the analysis. Overall symptoms such as irritability and dysphoria were improved, and 6 of 9 symptom scores were reduced by 27% to 57%. Evidence also suggested a slow onset of action (no effect was noted between Femal and placebo after the first cycle of treatment) and protracted effect, considering that the placebo group first experienced a reduction in symptoms. Except for sleep quality, there were no differences in symptoms in participants receiving Femal before placebo. Weight gain was reduced by 50% in participants treated with Femal compared with placebo. The results suggest that Femal may be beneficial in improving PMS symptoms. However, the results of this study should be interpreted cautiously because there was no wash-out period, which raises doubt given that the authors found a carry-over effect, and a preliminary phase designed to eliminate placebo responders was not conducted. 19

Melbrosia is used in Europe and contains the active ingredients phytosterols, phytoestrogens, amino acids, oligopeptides, and enzymes. 20 The effects of Melbrosia on ameliorating climacteric symptoms were clinically assessed. Two groups of women were followed; 32 served as a control group and 34 received Melbrosia . Patients receiving therapy experienced a reduction in the Kupperman menopausal index. Specifically, it was most effective on nervousness, anxiety, irritability, headache, and hot flashes. No changes were noted in gonadotropin, estradiol, or lipid values. Thus, products containing bee pollen may serve as potential treatment options for patients suffering from climacteric symptoms associated with menopause. 21

Similarly, another randomized, placebo-controlled study in women with severe menopausal symptoms found that the use of Melbrosia resulted in improvements in headache, urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness, and decreasing vitality. However, no changes in biochemical parameters were noted. 22

In an open, multicenter, uncontrolled, prospective observation study, the effects of Melbrosia on menopausal symptoms and cardiovascular risk markers were assessed. Fifty-five postmenopausal women with climacteric complaints received 2 capsules of Melbrosia once daily for the first 2 weeks, followed by 1 capsule daily for the remaining 10 weeks. Twenty-seven of the 55 patients underwent laboratory assessment of cardiovascular risk markers, including cholesterol and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels. A significant reduction in the standardized Kupperman score ( P < 0.001) and other symptom measuring tools (ie, Zerssen Symptoms List and Zung Depression Score) was noted with treatment. Improvements were also demonstrated in problem-solving ( P = 0.0015) but not in self-esteem or self-assessment. Additionally, patients experienced worsening of irritability with Melbrosia therapy ( P < 0.001). Total cholesterol ( P = 0.03), low-density lipoprotein ( P = 0.0053), and high-density lipoprotein ( P = 0.018) improved with Melbrosia . However, triglyceride levels increased significantly ( P = 0.0088). CRP levels were not significantly different with Melbrosia therapy ( P = 0.37). Thus, products containing bee pollen may not only improve menopausal symptoms but may improve most cholesterol parameters. 20

Other uses

Other potential uses of bee pollen include combating the effects of aging, treating respiratory infections, treating endocrine disorders, and relief of enteritis, colitis, and constipation. Bee pollen administered to rats was also found to possibly display antiaging effects. 23 Bee pollen may possess antioxidant effects 24 that may be attributed to polyphenol substances, such as quercetin, caffeic acid, pinocembrin, and galangin, among others. One study found that bee pollen and propolis extracts inhibited respiratory burst, a transient increase in oxygen consumption following the production of reactive oxygen species, within cancer cell lines. This effect was attributed to the antioxidant potential. 25 Another study found that bee pollen modulated antioxidant enzymes in the livers, brains, and lysates of erythrocytes in mice, and hepatic lipid peroxidation also decreased. 26 Bee pollen has been reported to immunologically strengthen multiple sclerosis patients being treated with prednisolone and Proper-Myl , a yeast preparation. 27

Dosage
The best recommended dose of bee pollen is unknown. Doses vary between products because tablets contain differing amounts of bee pollen. Manufacturers' recommendations may provide more guidance.

Pregnancy/Lactation
Pregnant Sprague-Dawley rats fed bee pollen had fetuses with higher birth weights and decreased death rates, suggesting that bee pollen may be an effective prenatal nutrient. 1 However, clinical data regarding safety and efficacy of bee pollen in pregnancy and lactation are lacking.

momma2boo
05-21-2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.jofamericanscience.org/journals/am-sci/am0605/07_2457_am0605_44_53.pdf

http://jhs.pharm.or.jp/data/53(5)/53_571.pdf

mugzeezma
05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
I know little about Bee Pollen...so I have some questions here.
Bees go out in the field and depending on where their hives are located harvest this pollen and store it correct? So, depending on where this hive was located, the types of pollen would vary and therefore wouldn't the nutrient values as well?
How much pollen can be extracted from one hive over what period o time?
Michele
Does your hubby do this as a hobby or is he one of those that do the orchard pollinator hive businesses? I find that pretty fascinating.
You sound pretty excited about it...saw that you had mentioned it a couple of times.
I knew a friend of a friend :D in PA that had a couple of hives...yummy

Rainy9
05-21-2011, 04:44 PM
I was just having a conversation with my dad about honey yesterday.

He was given some honey from a local bee farmer. They told him that ingesting honey that is from the same area that you live will help combat against allergies. (I'm guessing this works because the bees pollenate with the same pollens that we are exposed to in an area?)

I wonder if this would work the same for squirrels as Totoro seems to have allergie flare ups every now and then.