PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest baby eyes closed you have gotten?

halo
12-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Hey you rehabbers, I was wondering what is the biggest baby u have ever got that had its eyes still closed. I got one this fall that weighed 148 grams!!
When I first saw her I assumed her eyes were "glued" shut due to illness but when I looked closer they just werent open yet and she was young. lol

Here is a pic. I named her Bertha... lol She was a HUGE squirrel. Didnt want anything to do with me either.

~halo~

halo
12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Oops sorry, I am new and still havent figured out how to post a good pic. Lets try again.

:osnap

~halo~

Mars
12-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Iffen came in last spring with head, neck and back injuries, eyes just open at 156grams. He grew up to be a BIG squirrel. I've seen them all sizes but I believe him to be the biggest so far. Bertha could be his sister. Great Pic!:D

island rehabber
12-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Iffen came in last spring with head, neck and back injuries, eyes just open at 156grams. He grew up to be a BIG squirrel. I've seen them all sizes but I believe him to be the biggest so far. Bertha could be his sister. Great Pic!:D
Wow! Bertha's a beautiful foxer babe! I'm assuming Iffen was a foxer, also? I've only rehabbed greys but this past summer my Roadie was -- I thought -- huge by the time his eyes opened. And tipped the scales at 168g that week -- here's a re-run of a pic from that time:

Gabe
12-09-2006, 07:03 AM
omg Bertha has such a sweet face. Love that age.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Bertha is beautiful! Aww look at Roadie..so sweet & innocent.

GhosTS
12-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Cute baby.Her mom must have had a good source of food when nursing the baby.

Oh..cant believe Rodie grew up so fast.

Momma Squirrel
12-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Bertha is a sweetheart. :thumbsup Oh little Roadie, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday we were watching the little rascal grow. :)

halo
12-09-2006, 01:58 PM
First of all I amazed that there were bigger babies then Bertha. I thought she was a mega genetic giant squirrel.! And for a grey baby to be 168 grams? OMG! That is amazing. I wonder if the squirrels are evolving. Maybe in 1000 years they will rule the earth.. hehe

Betha came in after someone found her under a tree. Apparently she fell from her nest. Probably BROKE the nest. :icon_devil

I remember when another rehabber brought her to me in a clear box. I was kind of disappointed because at first glance I thought she was a bigger baby. I was yearning for a teeny baby at that point. (beginning of fall season) And as u all know sometimes those older babies can be hard to work with. Anyway, I would of loved to see the look on my face when I realized she was a tiny baby in a big body.. lol

~halo~

Also, I noticed that she didnt go thru the baby stages like the others. Once she opened her eyes she bounced all over the place. Didnt go thru the drunken sailor stage or nuttin. <--- no pun intended!

island rehabber
12-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Bertha is a sweetheart. :thumbsup Oh little Roadie, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday we were watching the little rascal grow. :)

I know -- I had to double check my log book for Roadie's weight at 4+ weeks -- I couldn't believe it, either. But he weighed 108g at just over 3 wks, so go figure. He was always solid muscle, even as a pinky....I am sure he's living it up as the alpha male squirrel of Westchester County right now. :D

halo
12-09-2006, 02:52 PM
U know I didnt weight Bertha when her eyes opened up. That weight was the day I got her. But she opened her eyes within about 4 days so the weight prolly didnt fluctuate that much.

Funny thing is Bertha was a real scaredy cat. For her weight u think she would of taken advantage. Oh well.. now she will give birth to more giant squirrels.. lol

~halo~

Mars
12-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Iffen is a grey. His picture peeks out about my posts. I seem to be seeing more of the bigger babies than before. Anyone else noticing the same trend?

halo
12-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Iffen is a grey. His picture peeks out about my posts. I seem to be seeing more of the bigger babies than before. Anyone else noticing the same trend?

Well a rehabber friend of mine got a fox baby in around the same time as my Bertha and it weighed about a gram or two less. She commented on how babies are getting bigger too. Its probably a evolution of some type to help them adapt in the new climate of global warming? Who knows.

We dont have too many greys around here but I will contact my friend in Kansas City that only has greys and see if shes noticed it.

~halo~

DubShack
12-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I wonder if the squirrels are evolving. Maybe in 1000 years they will rule the earth.. hehe

Kind of off topic, but funny you should make that comment. In my spare time I've been writing a novel, pretty much science fiction in nature. Follows these three guys from the present who are resurrected thousands of years in the future where they become part of a centuries old struggle for power. But the side story is a human colony stranded on a planet that genetically excelerated the evolution of squirrels to provide a source of sustenance, and by accident creating a sentient species. The B-plot of the story involves the intervention of various powers over the treatment of the new inteligent squirrel species, ultimately leading to a civil war.

Originally when I started it was rabbits. But they were difficult to write for because it took too much imagination to see one walking upright. Then Molly and the other guys popped into my life, and I thought golly... squirrels would make a lot more sense...