PDA

View Full Version : Info on rehabbing

chicklett43
05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey, I was wondering what I would need to do to become a rehabber in Utah or Nevada. I've always loved wildlife and I found my first injured squirrel the other day, unfortunately he passed away. But, finding him helped me find that I have a love for squirrels I never knew I had (of course I liked them but I didn't know that they were such amazing little creatures. I never knew I would want to help them so much or have them as a pet.) I won't be doing it right away, as I am going to be going to college in the next few months and the family members I am living with won't even let me have my cat but I would love to find out more info on it. Thanks.

mugzeezma
05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey, I was wondering what I would need to do to become a rehabber in Utah or Nevada. I've always loved wildlife and I found my first injured squirrel the other day, unfortunately he passed away. But, finding him helped me find that I have a love for squirrels I never knew I had (of course I liked them but I didn't know that they were such amazing little creatures. I never knew I would want to help them so much or have them as a pet.) I won't be doing it right away, as I am going to be going to college in the next few months and the family members I am living with won't even let me have my cat but I would love to find out more info on it. Thanks.

I do not know what your laws are in that state but you can try the Department of Natural Resources... DNR...maybe even Fish and Wildlife
Look for wildlife permits/licensing

chicklett43
05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Ok thanks =) I'll go look.

chicklett43
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
I didn't find much in Utah, but Nevada has stuff for it. Do I have to go through many classes or volunteer with another rehabber? (I'm going to volunteer anyway, but is it required?) Also, do I need a certain type of facility to do it or can I do it from a house? Any info or advice would be appreciated.:thumbsup

mugzeezma
05-15-2011, 07:42 PM
I didn't find much in Utah, but Nevada has stuff for it. Do I have to go through many classes or volunteer with another rehabber? (I'm going to volunteer anyway, but is it required?) Also, do I need a certain type of facility to do it or can I do it from a house? Any info or advice would be appreciated.:thumbsup
Which state are you going to do rehab in?
Each state has it's own law on wildlife.
some states require testing, some states require a certain number of hours spent working with or at a licensed rehab facility. You may also have to get a letter of recommendation from a rehabber, wildlife biologist, or veterinarian.
Contact the department in charge of licensing and permits for this information.

I might be able to help you if you tell me which state you are focusing on.

chicklett43
05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll probably be in Utah but my family is in Nevada, so I may end up there too, that's why I'm asking about both. I'll have to see where I am when I get out of school. I know I can't do it right now because I'm planning on going to Australia for a year to go to a school there. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it. :thankyou