PDA

View Full Version : Very Dry feeces

scratsdad
12-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Okay, it looks like Scrat is wanting to eat on her own now. She won't take any of the formula mixure she's been use to, after a week and a half of spoon feeding it she is now refusing it. Here's the problem:
1. She won't take anything spoon fed. The creame of wheat was cooked with formula and added as necessary for liquid.
2. Yesterday was the turning point and she goes for bannana's (fresh or mushy) and eats on her own. She has also gone for some nuts and little veggies. The problem is liquid the lack of.
3. she won't drink from the hangin water bottle. She won't take it by syringe and won't drink from a dish. She isn't getting liquids and her poop (as it's referred too) is very dry today.

Any suggestions????? I don't want her to get dehydrated......she's very active though....

GhosTS
12-08-2006, 10:28 AM
scratsdad, how old is scrat now.Normal weaning starts at about 8 weeks.Squirrels are not heavy water drinkers.They get a lot of water from the food they eat.If she is eating a good proportion of fresh veggies and fruits it wont be much of a problem.Keep a water dish available all times.If she wants any liquids she will find the water.

Critter_Queen
12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
scratsdad, how old is scrat now.Normal weaning starts at about 8 weeks.Squirrels are not heavy water drinkers.They get a lot of water from the food they eat.If she is eating a good proportion of fresh veggies and fruits it wont be much of a problem.Keep a water dish available all times.If she wants any liquids she will find the water.

I agree, just make sure she has plenty of fresh food with decent water content available for her daily and leave a dish out. Another idea is to hold the water bottle for her and see if you can entice her to touch the end and thereby see that there is fluid in there for her if she needs it...then immediately hang it on the side of the cage while she watches you.

Watch for signs of dehydration just in case. Coarse coat, "dry" eyes or mucous membranes, white or grey gums/tongue/lips, "tenting" of the skin between the shoulder blades when gently pinched between your fingers... IF you see any of those signs, you'll need to rehydrate her right away with Pedialyte or Lactated Ringer's solution (available only by vet).

Good luck!

Gabe
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
If I remember correctly, scrat has a balance problem. I would use a small heavy pet dish like a crock, fill it with marbles and then add water. This will prevent her from getting her nose in too far and being afraid to try it again.
I have also used grape and orange flavored pedialyte or gatorade to perk their interest in liquids, just pour in the bowl with the marbles in it.

scratsdad
12-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks, figured she was 1 mo old when I found her in sept, pics have been posted under general thread under introducing. She is abt 4 mo's old now and just getting off of formula. This is the first couple of days.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I agree with Gabe knowing the past condition of this squirrel try a little heavy bowl with marbles, it may take a bit to get her used to it. Mine never used a water bottle either. However when given a bowl started within a few days.
Just a thought, can you find watermellon anywhere salad bar, store salad bar? Mine never refused it and loaded with well..water.

scratsdad
12-09-2006, 07:31 AM
I agree, just make sure she has plenty of fresh food with decent water content available for her daily and leave a dish out. Another idea is to hold the water bottle for her and see if you can entice her to touch the end and thereby see that there is fluid in there for her if she needs it...then immediately hang it on the side of the cage while she watches you.

Watch for signs of dehydration just in case. Coarse coat, "dry" eyes or mucous membranes, white or grey gums/tongue/lips, "tenting" of the skin between the shoulder blades when gently pinched between your fingers... IF you see any of those signs, you'll need to rehydrate her right away with Pedialyte or Lactated Ringer's solution (available only by vet).

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I think I've been doing most of this...the signs of dehydration are great nfo to know. I'm definately looking for that...Scrat has a balance problem since I found her laying the back yard and although she's starting to accomplish those natural things, she's a slow learner and behind sked....tks again...jc

scratsdad
12-09-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree with Gabe knowing the past condition of this squirrel try a little heavy bowl with marbles, it may take a bit to get her used to it. Mine never used a water bottle either. However when given a bowl started within a few days.
Just a thought, can you find watermellon anywhere salad bar, store salad bar? Mine never refused it and loaded with well..water.

Someone at work recommended sliced pineapple because it's loaded with juice. He raised sugar gliders...what do you think?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-09-2006, 07:35 AM
I am not sure on pinapple, wait for a rehabber.

scratsdad
12-09-2006, 07:36 AM
If I remember correctly, scrat has a balance problem. I would use a small heavy pet dish like a crock, fill it with marbles and then add water. This will prevent her from getting her nose in too far and being afraid to try it again.
I have also used grape and orange flavored pedialyte or gatorade to perk their interest in liquids, just pour in the bowl with the marbles in it.

That's a fantastic idea the marbles etc. Who would've ever thought of that. Of course the pediasure we used with creame of wheat. Of course she's totally refusing it now. But in a bowl and marbles it might just work for her.

scratsdad
12-09-2006, 07:37 AM
I am not sure on pinapple, wait for a rehabber.

Ok, I haven't done that yet. Wanted to get input first.

Mars
12-09-2006, 08:55 AM
I would not suggest the pineapple except for a treat as it has a very high sugar content. And I would back away from the the Hydration fluids at this point as your baby can build up too many salts in her body - which may explain the too dry stools. I would suggest trying "sweet water" - here is my trick. In the supermarket juice ilse ( not the freezer section ) they sell canned juice concentrate. look for one that's all juice - no sweetners. Just a few drops in her water should encourage drinking. Remember you want to sweeten the water not flavor it. It's the fruity smell as much as the juice that's brings them to the water bowl. Once you know they are using the bowl you can wean them off the sweet water to pure fresh water. Do not use distilled water. Spring, well, or filtered water is best.

I'm wintering 4 greys in one cage inside. They share one water bottle that holds about a cup and 1/2 and they empty it about 1/2 way each day and some of that is spillage from them shaking the cage with their thunder paw activities. One squirrel and a little water will go a long way. Just keep it fresh and an eye out for dehydration and stop worrying!

Mars
small mammal rehabber