PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

Marci
05-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Can a squirrel with poor health issues develop allergies?

Buddy is sneezing and even though he is on Baytril, I was also wondering if anyone has experienced allergies in their squirrels or pet rats?

Marci

mugzeezma
05-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Can a squirrel with poor health issues develop allergies?

Buddy is sneezing and even though he is on Baytril, I was also wondering if anyone has experienced allergies in their squirrels or pet rats?

Marci

Because of all the other things buddy has going on i certainly would not be surprised if he did have some type of sensitivity issue. I don't think you see it as much in wilds where the gene pool is culled by natural selection.
In domestic animals, undesirable traits are common because of indiscriminate thoughtless breeding or breeding for traits that carry a recessive trait along with it.
Have you tried Benadryl?
This may explain his hair loss too.

I will dose when I get a chance...busy day

Jackie in Tampa
05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
ck his teeth...just a thought with sneezers...

CritterMom
05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Because of all the other things buddy has going on i certainly would not be surprised if he did have some type of sensitivity issue. I don't think you see it as much in wilds where the gene pool is culled by natural selection.
In domestic animals, undesirable traits are common because of indiscriminate thoughtless breeding or breeding for traits that carry a recessive trait along with it.
Have you tried Benadryl?
This may explain his hair loss too.

I will dose when I get a chance...busy day

I have Benadryl dosing info - if you can give me Buddy's weight.

I would speak to your vet about possibly putting Buddy on Nuflor instead of Baytril. If he continues with all of these problems after repeated Baytril treatments, it just isn't doing the trick. The Nuflor has shown itself to be pretty effective on some of the intractible upper respiratory issues. PM "Pierre" and ask her about this - she has some experience with using it in rats I believe.

Marci
05-13-2011, 02:52 PM
FYI -

The vet said yesterday she has not seen allergies in rodents.

I will also check the teeth. which leads me to another question. If the teeth are TOO LONG, how can you tell?

Thank you for the Nuflor tip. I am going to stick with the Baytril for now. He does seem to be very slowly improving.

The ivermectin shot also seems to have worked because I am seeing new fur grown his upper body.

I would like to know the dosage for the children's liquid benadryl. Ed and I were thinking about this as a solution, too, despite what the vet said. He could have gotten a respiratory infection and then the pollen could be bothering him. I don't have windows open in the house so not that much pollen could get into the house. The only other thing that I could think of is the new bird food that I am giving him which he likes, Higgins Mayan Harvest Yucatan:

Mayan Harvest: Yucatan Blend

Named after the lost civilization that cherished and worshiped the native tropical birds of the South America. This diet brings together exotic, natural ingredients and holistic herbs to create a premium blend free of artificial colors. The Yucatan Blend, which is formulated for Medium Hookbills, is typified by its unique star shaped Anise seed pods which birds love to pry open. Some of the other prime ingredients include: California sunflower, roasted soybean, flaked carrot, sunflower hearts, spring wheat, cantaloupe seed, pine nuts, orange lentil, mung beans, vetch, juniper berries, apples, dates, sweet peppers, cranberries, black beans, cherries, hemp, black beans, and many more. The herbs fennel seed, chives and bee pollen are also added.

Guaranteed Analysis - Crude Protein (Min.)….12.0%, Crude Fat (Min.)….12.0%, Crude Fiber (Max.)….11.0%, Moisture (Max.)….11.0%.

Ed's sister got a 20LB bag and gave me some.

Today is the first day that I had to take claritin. The pollen count is very high here, we are expecting some rain over the next few days which will help. I can see if that also helps buddy improve before I give him any children's benedryl.

Buddy weighs 62 grams.

Marci