PDA

View Full Version : Dull, patchy fur?

allie
05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi all!!

I don't post often having recently joined, but I do enjoy reading all of your useful and fun information. It seems my ~1 yr. old grey squirrel, has begun to lose some fur. Patchy in places, and seems dull. She appears to otherwise be fine, and active (thanks to all of you!!). Feeding HHBs 1-2 day, variety of veggies, limited nuts and fruits. Is there something I am missing? She does like to sleep on several small rocks she keeps putting in her bed, maybe she is losing fur by rubbing on the rocks??????
Any and all thoughts appreciated. ( I never knew I would have so much enjoyment being "owned" by a squirrel. Official name: Jasmine, often used name "little miss cranky pants; and my husband's name for her "Fang.":thankyou

4skwerlz
05-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi all!!

I don't post often having recently joined, but I do enjoy reading all of your useful and fun information. It seems my ~1 yr. old grey squirrel, has begun to lose some fur. Patchy in places, and seems dull. She appears to otherwise be fine, and active (thanks to all of you!!). Feeding HHBs 1-2 day, variety of veggies, limited nuts and fruits. Is there something I am missing? She does like to sleep on several small rocks she keeps putting in her bed, maybe she is losing fur by rubbing on the rocks??????
Any and all thoughts appreciated. ( I never knew I would have so much enjoyment being "owned" by a squirrel. Official name: Jasmine, often used name "little miss cranky pants; and my husband's name for her "Fang.":thankyou

Can you post a pic?

Are you giving any other supplements?

How long has she been on the Healthy Diet?

stepnstone
05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
:wave123 Allie

"my husband's name for her "Fang"... :jump

lilidukes
05-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi allie:wave123

Could just be molting. We love pics :poke

mugzeezma
05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Could just be molting. We love pics :poke

Molting more than likely. Are there any crusty or irritated spots?

You can try adding a wee bit of Omega 3-6-9 complex (fish, flax, olive oils).

allie
05-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your helpful comments and a reply to some of your ????s

1) Only on HHBs for about 2 months now.....we're new to TSB...
2) No other supplements.....No flax, olive oil, omega-3 (should I be adding some of those items in?) how much? a pinch?
3) No crusting, scabbing, redness, irritation or itching,

From one of the great pics someone just posted, I think it may be what some of you said, "scruffy molt"....rest of fur is not "loose" to the touch.....Should I just assume "benign neglect" as a treatment for this....It doesn't seem like mange....

:bowdown

lilidukes
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Molting is their form of shedding. Likely loosing the last of his baby fur. Though the tail will shed some more like a dog. Watch what pretty fur follows:thumbsup

4skwerlz
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your helpful comments and a reply to some of your ????s

1) Only on HHBs for about 2 months now.....we're new to TSB...
2) No other supplements.....No flax, olive oil, omega-3 (should I be adding some of those items in?) how much? a pinch?
3) No crusting, scabbing, redness, irritation or itching,

From one of the great pics someone just posted, I think it may be what some of you said, "scruffy molt"....rest of fur is not "loose" to the touch.....Should I just assume "benign neglect" as a treatment for this....It doesn't seem like mange....

:bowdown

When a squirrel first changes to the Healthy Diet, some have a quick "fur transformation," where it seems like their fur goes from dull to thick and shiny with no visible molting process. Other squirrels have a difficult molt the first time after switching, and then grow in a shiny new coat. Subsequent molts should be normal; i.e., no bare patches. Bare patches during molting are never "normal," but always a sign of stress, illness, parasites, or nutritional deficits.

I have no opinion on adding olive oil, flax oil, or fish oil, as their use in squirrels is experimental and the evidence anecdotal. I have had one reliable report of an increase in energy in a squirrel after adding flax oil; and a report from a flyer expert that her flyers' coats were shinier after adding fish oil. On the other hand, the 400-600 tree squirrels currently eating the Healthy Diet seem to do very well in the fur department with no added supplements.

So, I wouldn't worry. I would strongly recommend that you see what her coat looks like in a few weeks. Then if her fur still isn't as full and shiny as we expect, you could trying adding...something...and see if there's a difference.