PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please- Babies not eating

leenidia
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Hello TSB! Suddenly today, Chip & Dale no longer wants to eat their food. They are only 6 weeks now and should still be eating their food, right? I’m nervous b/c I want to ensure that their little bodies get all the nutrients they need so they can grow to be healthy agile squirrels. Chipella just doesn’t want to eat, I put veggies and a water bottle in her bed and she does snack on it, multigrain crackers and nuts, nonsalted pecans and walnuts. Since I seperated her Dale, she is not acting right. I do have them together for playtime but have to take Dale out when she latches on to his weiner. That’s all she wants.. Dale is eating a little, but like his sister he eats the same that she does. He is chunky and is playful, and eats only 2 syringes (3cc) thats 9cc’s less than what he was eating a week ago. This behavior just started overnight.. am I doing something wrong? is this normal? Not sure what to feed a 6 week old .. please help. Thanks for your time. Nidia:dono

momma2boo
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Hello TSB! Suddenly today, Chip & Dale no longer wants to eat their food. They are only 6 weeks now and should still be eating their food, right? I’m nervous b/c I want to ensure that their little bodies get all the nutrients they need so they can grow to be healthy agile squirrels. Chipella just doesn’t want to eat, I put veggies and a water bottle in her bed and she does snack on it, multigrain crackers and nuts, nonsalted pecans and walnuts. Since I seperated her Dale, she is not acting right. I do have them together for playtime but have to take Dale out when she latches on to his weiner. That’s all she wants.. Dale is eating a little, but like his sister he eats the same that she does. He is chunky and is playful, and eats only 2 syringes (3cc) thats 9cc’s less than what he was eating a week ago. This behavior just started overnight.. am I doing something wrong? is this normal? Not sure what to feed a 6 week old .. please help. Thanks for your time. Nidia:dono

Try the Boo Ball recipe. It's soft and easy to eat. Little ones like it and it still has FV formula in it.

rygel1hardt
05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
At six weeks of age my babies have a piece of Harlan Teklad 2018 rodent block in with them for chewing but nothing else. I dont want them filling up on nuts etc instead of the formula they need. How often and what formula are you feeding? Stacey

momma2boo
05-05-2011, 06:57 PM
At six weeks of age my babies have a piece of Harlan Teklad 2018 rodent block in with them for chewing but nothing else. I dont want them filling up on nuts etc instead of the formula they need. How often and what formula are you feeding? Stacey

I like the HT 2018. That's what I use in the boo ball. She could soak the HT in FV. Maybe add a dollop of strained babyfood apples to entice them. Bet they would slurp that stuff up.

leenidia
05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Stacey, They are eating FV mixed with whole fat yogurt and they loved it. b/c they weren’t eating, I put a small dish with veggies and fruits in their cage. I didn’t want them to eat nothing if they aren’t eating the formula. Should I stop leaving the food in their cage? OMG, I feel so horrible, I don’t want them to get sick of being malnourished. I feel so terrible.

CritterMom
05-05-2011, 07:03 PM
At six weeks old, in the wild, these babies wouldn't be allowed to even peek out of the nesthole yet and mama would deal pretty harshly with them if they try, and that goes until they are about 10 weeks old. That means in the wild they are consuming ONLY mother's milk until then - she isn't packing solid food into the nest for them.

Take away ALL the nuts and crackers and stuff and give them a rodent block to play with and hug and nibble. Then at the next feeding, heat the formula a bit warmer than you usually do.

Don't give them nuts until they are eating block really well or they will never eat the blocks they need to LIVE. Feed a kid pizza for a while and then switch them to brussels sprouts and see how willing they will be! Squirrels are the same way.

Don't wean them - reverse what you are doing and get them on the formula as long as they will take it.:thumbsup

momma2boo
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
At six weeks old, in the wild, these babies wouldn't be allowed to even peek out of the nesthole yet and mama would deal pretty harshly with them if they try, and that goes until they are about 10 weeks old. That means in the wild they are consuming ONLY mother's milk until then - she isn't packing solid food into the nest for them.

Take away ALL the nuts and crackers and stuff and give them a rodent block to play with and hug and nibble. Then at the next feeding, heat the formula a bit warmer than you usually do.

Don't give them nuts until they are eating block really well or they will never eat the blocks they need to LIVE. Feed a kid pizza for a while and then switch them to brussels sprouts and see how willing they will be! Squirrels are the same way.

Don't wean them - reverse what you are doing and get them on the formula as long as they will take it.:thumbsup

:goodpost Crit is right :goodpost

leenidia
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
OMG, thank you, I am cleaning out their beds now as we speak. Thank you so much for the info, it was helpful! WILL they get sick for not having their meals today? I was able to get 9 cc’s in Dale, but not Chipella.

momma2boo
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
OMG, thank you, I am cleaning out their beds now as we speak. Thank you so much for the info, it was helpful! WILL they get sick for not having their meals today? I was able to get 9 cc’s in Dale, but not Chipella.

I have had babies barely take any FV formula one day and gobble it down the next. I think you are just fine with only one day but tomorrow you need to be a mean mommy and only give them the FV and the rodent block to play with/nibble on.

leenidia
05-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Wow, really, not eat for a day? I’m freaking out here.. uughh sighing.. Where could I get the blocks?
I have had babies barely take any FV formula one day and gobble it down the next. I think you are just fine with only one day but tomorrow you need to be a mean mommy and only give them the FV and the rodent block to play with/nibble on.

CritterMom
05-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh, I bet Chip has been eating nuts all day and just isn't hungry for formula!

leenidia
05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I’m hoping she will be eats later, I took all of the nuts, veggies and crackers away. Bad choice on my part for thinking they would starve. No more solids for them! :tilt
Oh, I bet Chip has been eating nuts all day and just isn't hungry for formula!

momma2boo
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow, really, not eat for a day? I’m freaking out here.. uughh sighing.. Where could I get the blocks?

You can get Harlan Teklad 2018 from www.thecraftyrat.com
Not sure where else they can be bought.

leenidia
05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Great, thank you so much!!!!:crazy
You can get Harlan Teklad 2018 from www.thecraftyrat.com
Not sure where else they can be bought.