PDA

View Full Version : baby found ME!

tazzy
05-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I was walking along minding my own business and a little (probably2-3 week old) squirrel came running toward me. I bent down and she literally leaped into my direction. There were two dogs tied up that were going crazy and I am sur she was looking for any protection she could find.
This is my fourth baby in four years and 1 was released successfully (Stuart),1 was neuro damaged little sweetie and I had him for 2 years until he passed away from what I beleive was a weak heart (Simon). The third little fella (Ziggy) well I wintered him and I still have him. I will try soft release over Memrial day week-end if the weather permits.
So...................here I go again. I looked all around to see if there was a momma waiting near by or siblings and nothing. I bsolutely did not dare leave her there. She would never have made it on that busy street surrounded by dogs.
Now after three others WHY AM I STILL NERVOUS? I just want to do the right thing.
I have an order for Fox Valley but unti then all I have is Isbelac. I have her warm, quiet and safe for now. any other suggestions would be appreciated:)
Wish us both luck!

virgo062
05-01-2011, 09:44 PM
We all get nervous......Do you have 1cc syringes? Poor Baby I'm glad he/she found you. I would hydrate her first because you domn't know how long she has been without food or warmth then start her on the FV or Esbilac. Do you have a heating pad?

gs1
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
.....you seem to know the basics....

first warm them up and then hydrate for 24hours... the hydration solution can be homemade...

there is a temporary formula we use until fox valley comes in ... it's jackies goats milk/cream/yogurt recipe.... it can't be used long term cause it doesn't have the vitamins/minerals of fv but it's good for a couple of days....

esbilac just makes me really nervous.... i wouldn't go there.... they changed the formula and now in order to make it work (meaning not make the baby sick) you have to make it up and leave it standing for a couple of hours ...in the fridge i'm guessing ...anyway i don't know but others do if you need to use it....

anyway ...welcome and i'll go look for those recipes....

:Welcome

and ps: PHOTOS :poke are much appreciated and are a good idea to determine health and age as well as verify unbearable cuteness....:D

gs1
05-01-2011, 09:54 PM
here is a recipe for homemade Pedialyte:

1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

How to Prepare the Pedialyte
Use a plastic syringe (with or without a nipple). Never use pet nursers or doll bottles. They will choke the baby. Fill a coffee mug with hot water. Fill the syringe with Pedialyte and place it in the mug for a couple of minutes. Squirt a drop on the inside of your wrist to make sure the liquid isn’t too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.

there's lots more information on this page.... :thumbsup

from .....http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21626

EMERGENCY CARE FOR BABY SQUIRRELS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread will assist you in dealing with the first few hours of finding an injured or orphaned baby squirrel. In most cases we would urge you to find a qualified wildlife rehabilitator ASAP, but please follow these guidelines to stabilize and keep the squirrel safe:

Emergency Care for Baby Squirrels

Don’ts
Don’t try to feed the squirrel.
Don’t handle him more than you have to.
No loud voices, TV, music, or bright lights.
No children or pets in the same room!

1. Warm the Baby (never feed a cold squirrel!)
Quick Methods:
-Cup the baby in your hands or under your shirt next to your skin.
-Fill a plastic bottle with very warm water. Wrap in a cloth, place next to baby, and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.
-“Rice Buddy”: Fill a sock with 1 cup of rice or dried beans and microwave for 30 seconds. Place next to baby and cover him. Reheat every 2 hours.

2. [b] Find a Box or Container[b]
A shoebox will do for small babies. A baby that can walk will need a larger box with a lid (with holes). Put a clean baby blanket, flannel shirt, or piece of fleece in the bottom of the box. No towels or terrycloth. Squirrels can get tangled in the loops. Place baby on the material and cover him with one flap. If you have a heating pad, turn it on low and place it under half of the box (not IN the box!) so baby can move away if he gets too warm. You can use the plastic bottle or rice buddy described above, but these are only temporary methods until you get a heating pad, since they must be reheated every 2 hours and won't keep baby warm all night.
NOTE: Monitor his temperature so he doesn’t chill or overheat. His feet should feel warm to the touch.

Note: If the baby is injured, is having trouble breathing, has fly eggs on his fur, or is very skinny or dehydrated, he needs emergency care by an experienced rehabber or vet.

3. Rehydrate the Baby

Most babies are dehydrated when you find them and must be rehydrated before you can feed them. Never feed formula or food of any kind to a dehydrated baby!

How to Check for Dehydration
Pinch the skin on the back of his neck. If it doesn’t spring back immediately, the baby is dehydrated. If the pinched skin stays up like a tent for more than a second, the baby is badly dehydrated. Other signs of dehydration: pale grayish gums, dry mouth, sunken eyes, whites around eyes showing, rough spiky fur, dry scaly skin.
NOTE: If baby is badly dehydrated, he will need subcutaneous fluids, which can only be given by a rehabber or vet.

[b] Supplies You Will Need: [b]
--Pedialyte (any flavor)*
--Plastic syringes (1 cc size; no needles. Ask the pharmacist to get these for you) An eyedropper can also work.
These are available at most drugstores.

*If you can’t find Pedialyte at the store, here is a recipe for homemade Pedialyte:

1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

How to Prepare the Pedialyte
Use a plastic syringe (with or without a nipple). Never use pet nursers or doll bottles. They will choke the baby. Fill a coffee mug with hot water. Fill the syringe with Pedialyte and place it in the mug for a couple of minutes. Squirt a drop on the inside of your wrist to make sure the liquid isn’t too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.

Proper Position
A tiny baby should be held upright in your hand. A baby with fur can lie on a flat surface on his stomach. A baby that can walk can be held upright or he can drink sitting up. Hold the syringe so the tip points UP to the baby’s mouth and the handle is down. Don’t let the baby get cold. Keep him wrapped up while he eats.

How to Feed Fluids
Place the syringe tip on the baby’s lips (from the side) and squeeze out one drop for him to taste. Don’t squirt a steady stream. Let him swallow one drop before squeezing more. GO SLOW! It sometimes takes a feeding or two for them to catch on. Hairless babies are fed drop by drop. With older babies (once they catch on) you can squeeze slowly for one second, wait for him to swallow, then squeeze more.

If fluids dribble out his mouth or come out his nose, you are going too fast. Stop and tilt the baby’s head down so the fluid drains out (support his head and neck like you would a human baby). Then wipe his nose and mouth with a tissue. Start over, slower. NOTE: There is now a chance your baby will develop aspiration pneumonia from inhaling fluid in his lungs. This is fatal. Please contact a rehabber or vet, or the people at The Squirrel Board, for assistance.
Wildlife Rehabilitator

gs1
05-01-2011, 09:57 PM
and if you can bear the avalanche of information here is more....

it's for the home made formula.....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11782

In light of the recent problems rehabbers have been experiencing with Esbilac formula, it has been decided that the best alternative is Fox Valley 32/40.
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1
Nicholas P. Vlamis, President (Nick)
(800) 679-4666
If you call in your order and tell him you need it quickly he'll be happy to oblige. He can ship to you regular post 3-5 days and overnight. He's very nice and very easy to work with.
In the meantime you will need to feed your baby a home-made formula, but please for the sake of the baby, do not feed this for more than 4-7 days. It's a great temporary replacer milk but it lacks certain vitamins and minerals that the babies need to thrive. This recipe will ensure that your baby will be well nourished until your order from Fox Valley arrives. Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
Please note, this website has several links that still mention Esbilac and we need to keep these links active as they do contain excellent information so please keep in mind that Fox Valley is now the formula of choice for raising baby squirrels.

gs1
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
trying to find info on using esbilac more safely ... in case you can't go out now and get goats milk etc... although the baby should be on hydration for 24 hours ....

anyway ... hope to have this last bit of info for you .... soon.....:D

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
All good info!!!

Sounds like you've already been through this a time or two.

I would do the Goats milk recipe posted.
pedialyte until this baby is fully hydrated

Did you get the 32/40?

Thanks Gs1 :thumbsup

gs1
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
All good info!!!

Sounds like you've already been through this a time or two.

I would do the Goats milk recipe posted.
pedialyte until this baby is fully hydrated

Did you get the 32/40?

Thanks Gs1 :thumbsup

what do you mean thanks Gs1? ... did you find rescues04 formula on how to make esbilac safer? snap to it:poke .... sheesh... :shakehead can't get good help anywhere....:D

(ahem ... thanks mugz... but these are standard IR baby info sheets...:D )

tazzy
05-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Heating pad.......Check, Homemade Pedialyte.........Check, Order fox Valley 32/40...............Check::D
HE (FEZ) has had one dose of Pedialyte and is sleeping soundly now. I will set my alarm for 3 hours and get up and do it again..Thank you all for your moral support and great info!
:thankyou

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 10:35 PM
what do you mean thanks Gs1? ... did you find rescues04 formula on how to make esbilac safer? snap to it:poke .... sheesh... :shakehead can't get good help anywhere....:D

(ahem ... thanks mugz... but these are standard IR baby info sheets...:D )
slave driverrrr

I actually have no idea what you are talking about.

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Frankly I would give them the goats milk recipe until the Fox Valley comes in.
You should get it in 2 days.

gs1
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
slave driverrrr

I actually have no idea what you are talking about.:Love_Icon thank god you're not a man .... you'd be the ultimate bad boy ....:shakehead

even though i agree that she probably doesn't need the esbilac safer recipe ... but in case she can't find goats milk etc... and needs to use esbilac ... i'd like to get a proven, safe recipe for her.... and you were supposed to find it.... :poke what's the point in having a team of people helping me if they go off and do their own thing and have their own opinions...:poke

anyway .... i've contacted rescue04 ... (really i've hounded them ... by pm and email) and hopefully we'll know by morning ....now... if i've got the wrong person and it was another rehabber that used esbilac still .... then :sanp3 i'll have to put on my tracking boots again....

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
:Love_Icon thank god you're not a man .... you'd be the ultimate bad boy ....:shakehead

even though i agree that she probably doesn't need the esbilac safer recipe ... but in case she can't find goats milk etc... and needs to use esbilac ... i'd like to get a proven, safe recipe for her.... and you were supposed to find it.... :poke what's the point in having a team of people helping me if they go off and do their own thing and have their own opinions...:poke

anyway .... i've contacted rescue04 ... (really i've hounded them ... by pm and email) and hopefully we'll know by morning ....now... if i've got the wrong person and it was another rehabber that used esbilac still .... then :sanp3 i'll have to put on my tracking boots again....

What did I do now? :thinking

I asked IR if she had heard of it....nada
You have a mind like a steel trap
baby will be fine on goats milk recipe REALLY
not a cop out
Goats milk is easier to digest than any formula.
She's good

gs1
05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
What did I do now? :thinking

I asked IR if she had heard of it....nada
You have a mind like a steel trap
baby will be fine on goats milk recipe REALLY
not a cop out
Goats milk is easier to digest than any formula.
She's good

mugz:D... read my lips... in case she can't find goats milk etc... and must use esbilac ....etc...

anyway tomorrow is another day ... we'll find it... and then i'll put the recipe on my home page ... not recommending esbilac ofcourse .. but taking the fear out of it ... ok ...now i'm overly dramatic... i must be tired....:D

mugzeezma
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
mugz:D... read my lips... in case she can't find goats milk etc... and must use esbilac ....etc...

anyway tomorrow is another day ... we'll find it... and then i'll put the recipe on my home page ... not recommending esbilac ofcourse .. but taking the fear out of it ... ok ...now i'm overly dramatic... i must be tired....:D

She lives in IOWA!
more livestock than people!
she'll find it!

I'd rather kiss your lips :D
moooWAH!
love ya Sil

MsOakley
05-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I was walking along minding my own business and a little (probably2-3 week old) squirrel came running toward me. I bent down and she literally leaped into my direction.

Has to be older then 2-3 weeks if it ran and jumped on you. If eyes are open it's at least 5 weeks.

gs1
05-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi Tazzy... I had no idea that Iowa had goats lol....:D

anyway rescue04 has kindly given me their recipe for using esbilac.... they're the only rehabbers who i know are still using it (successfully). I still prefer fox valley but i pass on the following information for you....

i'm not sure how many squirrels this will feed - they do lots - but maybe for the first batch you could halve it if you didn't want to waste it....

also if your fox valley shows up .... you could donate the esbilac to an animal shelter ... they can always use them for puppies ...

just so not to confuse you ... my preferences are : fox valley ...then jackies goats milk formula and then rescues04 safer esbilac formula .... but i'm so grateful to them for providing their recipe....:thumbsup I would not use esbilac except under their instruction.:thankyou

oh ... one more thing ... i need to clarify how long to let it stand in the fridge... i think it's 6 hours or more.... before using it .... i'll go back and ask them again .... but i think it's at least 6 hours.... ( i was talking to another rehabber about this.... )

oh, and another one more thing... below they say ...heat it to room temperature ... but i'm wondering if that should be above room temperature.... i'll have to clarify this too ...because a baby squirrel won't drink as much if the formula is not warm enough ... nor will they drink if they're not warm either lol... ok ... one more thing to clarify ....

from rescue04:

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of powdered Esbilac
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of plain yogurt

mix well in a blender.

(I have found adding one ingredient at a time helps.)

I start with the water then add the formula into the blender, let that mix well.

Then add the whipping cream, then the yogurt.

Usually I let it blend for at least five minutes; otherwise you wind up with all this crusty filmy stuff on top.

Store in the fridge.

It is only good for a few days.

I just shake up the container and use what I need.

I know some say not to microwave it...but I do. I heat it up to just about room temp.

Test on the wrist the way you would do for a baby bottle. If it is to hot...you will know it.

I never reheat the formula. I just toss what I don’t use.

I have gotten pretty good at guessing what I need so I don’t waste.

Usually with just one batch will last me a few days.

Shake well before every use.

gs1
05-03-2011, 09:27 PM
from rescue04:

We try to let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour, but overnight is best (gives the air bubbles time to release from the blender).

We warm it up like milk for a baby - check it on your wrist, if it is too hot to the touch. Add a liitle from the fridge to cool it down. We have so many to feed that we warm it up in a coffee cup and have a cup warmer to keep it that temp.

tazzy
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Baby FEZ is doing great! We received the Fox Valley yesterday and he is enjoying that along with his pedialyte!

Thank you all so much for all of the great advice. :jump

SquirrelsinSingapore
05-05-2011, 01:58 AM
I was walking along minding my own business and a little (probably2-3 week old) squirrel came running toward me. I bent down and she literally leaped into my direction. Wish us both luck!

awwwwww.. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
how i would've wished, someday a squirrel will leap up to me like what happened to you today

tazzy
05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Update on Fez! He has been with us for 3 1/2 weeks now. I estimate him to be around 7-8 weeks???
He is still on fox valley and eating some small amounts of fruits and vegetables and squirrel block.
He is starting his "terrible twos" stage and wanting to get into everything and run run run.
I want him to be free and play in the trees with other squirrels. Please give any suggestions to when and how to release him safely. :thankyou