PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding food

leenidia
05-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi there.. Chip and Dale are growing so quickly. They are 5.5 weeks old now and was curious about the treats that I’m giving them. We are still feeding them their formula about 3-4 times a day as their main nutrient intake. However, I give them non-salted pecans and walnuts to nibble on and the calcium balls that are used for trimming their teeth so they don’t overgrow. I also give them peanuts (non-salted), string beans, apples, but was curious what to feed them when they are in the weaning stage? I want to make sure that they have the proper nutritional food value. Also, would like to know if they need immunization? Thanks for your time! Nidiamjs mjs

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Immunizations are not recommended or indicated for squirrels.
Neither is neutering

You can check the nutrition forum for more ideas on what veg and fruit and wild food to give.
This is what I do and have had success with:
A good probiotic like BeneBac (found at petfood stores) or yogurt can be mixed in as well.

It's a variation on Momma2Boos BooBall recipe or BooBall Variations one & two
In honor of Julie who's idea this originally was and her squirrel Boo

This is the mix I give my Squirrels along with plain old unadulterated rat blocks and fresh vegetables and a little fruit (fruit sugars in the recipe)

All of these recipes have the ingredients finely ground and stored dry in the freezer until needed.

~Once you add the WET ingredients store in the refrigerator.
~Let the recipe set for one hour before deciding if more fruit sauce is required....
they are gooey when first blended and need time for the dry ingredients to absorb
~You can either roll the dough all at once into balls to be stored in a container or roll them up as needed out of the bag.

I feed between 5-10 per day depending on the age of the squirrel.

BBVI...Weaning recipe

in a sandwich bag mix ( I use this method because I can blend the ingredients by squishing it with my hands.

1/2 cup finely ground rat block...KayTeeFortiDiet PLUS, Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, SunSeed Critter Cubes
1/2 cup dry formula powder...can be powdered goatsmilk, FoxVally20/50, Esbilac,Goatsmilk Esbilac
1 - 4oz jar applesauce or ALL fruit babyfood such as Gerber organics pears and raspberry
1/8 tsp coconut oil

BBVII...adult recipe

in a sandwich bag mix ( I use this method because I can blend the ingredients by squishing it with my hands.

1/2 cup finely ground rat block...KayTeeFortiDiet PLUS, Oxbow Regal Rat, Mazuri, SunSeed Critter Cubes
2 tsp finely ground nuts...I prefer hazelnuts but pecans and other nuts can be used.
1-2 Tums or any antacid containing elemental calcium...Tums has 320mg
1 - 4oz jar applesauce or ALL fruit babyfood such as Gerber organics pears and raspberry
1/8 tsp coconut oil

maga n yaya
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi there.. Chip and Dale are growing so quickly. They are 5.5 weeks old now and was curious about the treats that I’m giving them. We are still feeding them their formula about 3-4 times a day as their main nutrient intake. However, I give them non-salted pecans and walnuts to nibble on and the calcium balls that are used for trimming their teeth so they don’t overgrow. I also give them peanuts (non-salted), string beans, apples, but was curious what to feed them when they are in the weaning stage? I want to make sure that they have the proper nutritional food value. Also, would like to know if they need immunization? Thanks for your time! Nidiamjs mjs

In addition to the healthy direction muzeezma has steered you in, there is a plethora of nutritional data stored in the 'stickies' at the very begining of this very thread.

Start at the top, and work your way down through the stickies for varied subjects on nutrition.

You will also find a recent in depth discussion on nutrition just below your own thread.

I also concur with mm, that the immunizations are unnecessary, and neutering not recommended. I would add to that, that ANY trip away from an unfamiliar environment, [as in vet... unless necessary] is extremely stressful for an animal, making a needless trip to a vet for your above concern, a double whammy.

Welcome leenidia/Nidia. I am also a newbie :wave123

4skwerlz
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Immunizations are not recommended or indicated for squirrels.
Neither is neutering

You can check the nutrition forum for more ideas on what veg and fruit and wild food to give.
This is what I do and have had success with:
A good probiotic like BeneBac (found at petfood stores) or yogurt can be mixed in as well.

It's a variation on Momma2Boos BooBall recipe or BooBall Variations one & two
In honor of Julie who's idea this originally was and her squirrel Boo

This is the mix I give my Squirrels along with plain old unadulterated rat blocks and fresh vegetables and a little fruit (fruit sugars in the recipe)

All of these recipes have the ingredients finely ground and stored dry in the freezer until needed.

~Once you add the WET ingredients store in the refrigerator.
~Let the recipe set for one hour before deciding if more fruit sauce is required....
they are gooey when first blended and need time for the dry ingredients to absorb
~You can either roll the dough all at once into balls to be stored in a container or roll them up as needed out of the bag.

I feed between 5-10 per day depending on the age of the squirrel.

BBVI...Weaning recipe

1/2 cup dry formula powder...can be powdered goatsmilk, FoxVally20/50, Esbilac,Goatsmilk Esbilac
1/8 tsp coconut oil

BBVII...adult recipe

2 tsp finely ground nuts...I prefer hazelnuts but pecans and other nuts can be used.
1-2 Tums or any antacid containing elemental calcium...Tums has 320mg
1/8 tsp coconut oil

Or you can simply follow the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels, which is posted at the top of the Nutrition Forum: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

Baby squirrels should be weaned onto a quality rodent block or squirrel block, because that is the basis of a healthy diet.

leenidia
05-01-2011, 01:19 PM
This is extremely helpful, thank you so much. I did notice that you mentioned Esbilac goats milk, I read that that milk will kill the babies. Is this true? Thanks so much for your help!!:thankyou
Or you can simply follow the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels, which is posted at the top of the Nutrition Forum: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

Baby squirrels should be weaned onto a quality rodent block or squirrel block, because that is the basis of a healthy diet.

maga n yaya
05-01-2011, 01:28 PM
You got is straight from the horses mouth Nidia. No one has done more research on captive squirrel nutrition then 4s... whom as you can see, is the originator of the 'stickies' I mentioned.

With fda approval, she has been keeping squirrels running at top speed for many moons... keeping their motors 'purring' and their exteriors 'shiny and manageable' :jump

4skwerlz
05-01-2011, 01:29 PM
This is extremely helpful, thank you so much. I did notice that you mentioned Esbilac goats milk, I read that that milk will kill the babies. Is this true? Thanks so much for your help!!:thankyou

The formula being used with the most success on TSB is Fox Valley 20/50 for babies older than 4 weeks.

For babies that don't tolerate that formula for some reason, Esbilac Goats Milk puppy formula would be a second choice.

"Plain cows milk" is what kills; too much lactose and not enough nutrients.

Hope this helps!

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 01:39 PM
The formula being used with the most success on TSB is Fox Valley 20/50 for babies older than 4 weeks.

For babies that don't tolerate that formula for some reason, Esbilac Goats Milk puppy formula would be a second choice.

"Plain cows milk" is what kills; too much lactose and not enough nutrients.

Hope this helps!

The reason I posted all of those products is for ease of purchase.
Many people cannot find or don't want to use shipping.
I myself use FoxValley but then the plant is 20miles from me :dono
I am all about what's available to the individual.

maga n yaya
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The reason I posted all of those products is for ease of purchase.
Many people cannot find or don't want to use shipping.
I myself use FoxValley but then the plant is 20miles from me :dono
I am all about what's available to the individual.

It's what makes us individuals; that we can tweak things here and there, away from the norm. to suit our own character & needs.:tilt

As long as we don't stray to far from the recommended tested and PROVEN main ingredients, I feel even Julia Child would agree that a pinch of this or that here and there ain't gunna ruin the entire souffle.:jump

I meant no malice in my posts mm & hope that you did not take them as such.:peace

leenidia
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Great, thanks for confirming. Could the Esbilac Goats milk formula also be used as their daily meal intake????:I ask b/c I have some in my trunk that I was going to return after I read that It could kill the babies. but finding out that is not the case. dono . Oh, are they allowed to drink water? I put a bottle (hamster type) in the cage but they don’t know how to use it. Should I administer water at sometime between their feedings?
Thanks again!!! You got is straight from the horses mouth Nidia. No one has done more research on captive squirrel nutrition then 4s... whom as you can see, is the originator of the 'stickies' I mentioned.

With fda approval, she has been keeping squirrels running at top speed for many moons... keeping their motors 'purring' and their exteriors 'shiny and manageable' :jump

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Great, thanks for confirming. Could the Esbilac Goats milk formula also be used as their daily meal intake????:I ask b/c I have some in my trunk that I was going to return after I read that It could kill the babies. but finding out that is not the case. dono . Oh, are they allowed to drink water? I put a bottle (hamster type) in the cage but they don’t know how to use it. Should I administer water at sometime between their feedings?

All I have to say one any of this is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

high volume rehabbers have had mortality on any and all formulas so who anm I to say works best.
We here at TSB recommend FoxValley Formulas.
If you started on that then stay on that.

formula switches cause as much trouble as anything else.

leenidia
05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
okay, thats not too comforting, I will return it. Thanks! :wave123
All I have to say one any of this is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

high volume rehabbers have had mortality on any and all formulas so who anm I to say works best.
We here at TSB recommend FoxValley Formulas.
If you started on that then stay on that.

formula switches cause as much trouble as anything else.

4skwerlz
05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
okay, thats not too comforting, I will return it. Thanks! :wave123

I don't think you mentioned which formula the babies are on now...

island rehabber
05-01-2011, 04:00 PM
leenidia, please cut back on the nuts drastically, and get rid of the peanuts altogether. (garbage food for squirrels) Giving babies the age of yours nuts is like giving little kids chocolate bars with every meal. They will NEVER eat the good stuff again if you do that. :) :peace

mugzeezma
05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
leenidia, please cut back on the nuts drastically, and get rid of the peanuts altogether. (garbage food for squirrels) Giving babies the age of yours nuts is like giving little kids chocolate bars with every meal. They will NEVER eat the good stuff again if you do that. :) :peace

I agree absolutely!!!

maga n yaya
05-02-2011, 10:49 AM

IR, like 4s, you are an EMPRESS of squirrel nutrition. :thumbsup Thank you for fielding questions I may not have had the expertise to answer for Nidia.:D

Nidia, I hope 4s and Island Rehabber have shown you that there are numerous 'go to' members on here, that can walk you through ANY nutrition concern you may have. :Welcome :wave123

Oh and Nidia,.... both 4s and IR make a mean souffle. :jump

leenidia
05-07-2011, 11:10 PM
They are on what TSB recommends, FV but I have the Esbilac goats milk and need to decide if they can drink use it/ or return it.. Thanks, Ndia
I don't think you mentioned which formula the babies are on now...

leenidia
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I discontinued all the foods, ie: nuts/crackers/veggies. DIdn’t realize that they were too young. They are now back on just formula and occasionally they sip on the water bottle.. I’m still confused as to what age to introduce solids.. :dono Thanks for your help!
IR, like 4s, you are an EMPRESS of squirrel nutrition. :thumbsup Thank you for fielding questions I may not have had the expertise to answer for Nidia.:D

Nidia, I hope 4s and Island Rehabber have shown you that there are numerous 'go to' members on here, that can walk you through ANY nutrition concern you may have. :Welcome :wave123

Oh and Nidia,.... both 4s and IR make a mean souffle. :jump