PDA

View Full Version : Soft Mushy poop??

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-06-2006, 09:52 PM
One of my squirrel's has really really soft mushy poop??? It's not diarrhea or anything just mushy. I have 3...but im not really sure which one is pooping it. Should i worry?? (.... well i worry anywayz...im totally paranoid when it comes to my babys and something being wrong)

But anyways.... is this a big problem? If so...what do i do?

Thanx

Mrs. Jack
12-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Have you added or changed anything in their diet lately?

island rehabber
12-07-2006, 08:15 AM
If they are still taking formula, it could be that they have too much formula and not enough solids as they are getting older -- reduce the formula amount and it should clear up. Or...it's from some new food they were given and it doesn't agree with someone's digestive system.....I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't clear up after a day or so. Also a remote possibility is that there was soap in their water or on something they are chewing -- that will certainly give them the runs. Keep an eye on it for the next day or so.

Critter_Queen
12-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree with IR and Mrs. J...only thing I would add is that soft mushy poops is diarrhea in squirrels.

Hope this helps!

Secret Squirrel
12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
that soft mushy poops is diarrhea in squirrels.

I don't agree with that statement.....and I am not stying to start a war :innocent !!!
Diarrhea is large amounts of water from the bowels and less waste products in the liquid. :flush Mushy stools is just that....mushy stools. Also, loose stools shouldn't be confused with diarrhea either. They are totaly seperate issues. Can anyone else submit their input? :peace

Critter_Queen
12-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Interesting. I would also like to hear others' opinions. I was told this was diarrhea...

Ooooo...the poopolgy of it all! :D

rygel1hardt
12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
While I agree that there are varying stages of loose bowels I think that all need to have the cause found ASAP! That being said We need to know exactly what these squirrels are being fed since they have now gone from constipation to loose bowels. Please will the owner of these squirrels post a detailed diet. Then maybe we can figure out what is causing them such problems. In the mean time are you feeding them any rat block? Are they getting any unfiltered sunlight on a daily basis? Are they getting a lot of fruit? Are you feeding any lettuce? Are they eating mainly a nut based diet? Please help us out with a list of their diet. Thanks and I hope we will be able to help you with your little guys. Stacey

Gabe
12-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Critter_Queen Interesting. I would also like to hear others' opinions.

CR I agree with you, loose and frequent movements is diarrhea.

rygel1hardt, is correct, there is an abnormal stool present. Catching it, and fixing it promptly should be the concern not medical terminology. If allowed to continue it will cause problems.

We do need to know the diet. I would also like to know what color the stool is, and if there is any mucous in it.

susanw
12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
If you are still feeding them formula, it could be that they are being overfed.

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Ok Hey guys...
Sorry its took so long for a reply...my pooter is a pieceeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Ok my little girls are no longer on formula.

Before the constipation thing...thier diet was...
Apples,Carrots,Okra,cucumbers,squash,pecans,sunflo wer seeds && dried corn

Now...the only thing i've added to their diet is brocoli,sweet potato and a little mango now and then.

And the poop color is just mushy brown poop

Critter_Queen
12-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Hmmm...I would suggest finding alternatives to the cucumber, mango, dried corn and sunflower seeds...none are really that good for them, and sunflower seeds can actually stop them from getting what they need out of other foods.

Another thought is how long you are leaving perishable items in the cage to be eaten. Bacteria begins to grow on soft/wet foods within four hours of warming to room temp or being cut open, and that can cause bacterial issues in the intestines that could cause this.

Do you have any Bene Bac or yogurt with live cultures? Try giving them some of either of those (bene bac is best in powdered form because it tastes better to them) for a few days and see what happens. Bene Bac is good pretty much all the time with wildlife in captivity. It's stressful for wilds to be captive, so it's not uncommon for their digestive bacteria to become unbalanced. (kinda like getting the runs when you're really stressed or under extreme pressure, ya know? Maybe that's just me and hubby??)

Also, limit the pecans...they are good for them, but only a little bit at a time...maybe one whole pecan per day per squirrel...IF they're eating their veggies like they should.

Hope this helps. Do they seem OK otherwise?