PDA

View Full Version : Release of 11-week old gray squirrel?

newyorker
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this. I live in NYC and found a very weak dehydrated young squirrel (which I understand was "alone" for 36 hours) in a small neighborhood park 12 days ago. He recovered very quickly, is eating nonstop and seemingly content in a large cockatiel wire cage, w/a small nextbox inside. I'm happy to say that he shows no signs of becoming imprinted on me! (Perhaps I should mention here that I've had experience in the past w/younger babies in PA and further that I would never consider keeping a healthy squirrel as a pet!)

Two local rehabbers have respectively suggested releasing him back where I found him (I would prefer not to do this because of conditions in the park, which I can explain if needed), or releasing him in a more rural setting. I have a friend upstate who is willing to feed him daily (she already feeds squirrels and birds), and allow me to put up a nestbox for him in her yard, which adjoins a small woods. No loose dogs or cats, or predators that she's aware of... Current weather conditions in both locations are low 30s at night, 40s during the day. Also there are not many leaves remaining on trees.

Following are my questions, which are keeping me up at night!

Is the squirrel really old enough to release on his own in winter, even w/a nestbox and food source? (I'm curious as to whether he has skills at his age, which he would not lose by remaining captive for a matter of weeks, or even until spring.)

If I should release him, would he have more of a chance w/a small nestbox, or larger one which he could share w/others for warmth?

Thanks so much...I've already learned alot by reading through other threads. This board is an amazing resource!

Somebody's Mother
12-06-2006, 09:30 AM
well there doesn't seem to be a regular rehabber signed on right now. but i would like to say thank you for taking time to rescue the little one. and i don't think i would return him to a nasty park. your friends place sounds wonderful. i know one problem they have being released at this time of year and that is they won't have a nut stash saved up.
i can't remember the recommended age for releasing them. my brain is fuzzy because i just got off work an hour ago and desperately need sleep.
there may be issues though with the other squirrels at your friends place. they may not get along. they might see the little one as an outsider.

just my opinions and even my opinions are fuzzy. but just hang around or check back and i am sure you will get plenty of intelligent and non fuzzy information.

btw welcome to the board!! some of the nicest people i know are new yorkers!!

newyorker
12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks so much for your reply! Get some sleep. And yes, we New Yorkers are nice...and love park squirrels.

x
Vicki

Critter_Queen
12-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi there! We have a rehabber in the Bronx that could probably help you. Generally speaking, we don't like to release squirrels before they reach 16 weeks of age. Can he crack in-shell nuts of any kind? That's a pretty good indicator of time for release. If I had this squirrel in Iowa, I would keep him for the winter and release him in the spring. But that's me, and this is Iowa... Hopefully Island Rehabber will be on soon and will be able to give you some better advice!

Thanks for saving this little one and taking the time to find out how to help him the best way possible! :thumbsup

GhosTS
12-06-2006, 09:51 AM
:Welcome to TSB.And thank you for taking your time to save the little one.

The proper release age is about 16 weeks.When they are in the wild they stay at their mothers side for about 16 weeks.Only then they will be able to survive on their own.Without any other protection.

Its good to release him away from any cats/dogs so he wont have much problems with predators.

And since he is 11 weeks, you should keep him through the winter and release him in the spring.

Hey CQ, how did you post before me.:crazy

newyorker
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi, Critter_Queen.

Don't want to clog up this thread w/thank yous, but...thanks! He eats large acorns w/no problem, I haven't given him other unshelled nuts. I checked his teeth the first day; the 2 large lower ones are approximately a centimeter long and there is just a nub on top which looks like 2 incipient teeth. One of the rehabbers said this was fine.

Also, I hope I don't seem to be disparaging the rehabber advice I rec'd. Everyone has his own way, and I completely understand how tough this job is and that many get burned out by year end...

Critter_Queen
12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey CQ, how did you post before me.:crazy

It's MAGIC! :fireworks :ali_abduct :thumbsup

island rehabber
12-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi neighbor Vicki -- I'm the Bronx rehabber who was just mentioned. Sounds as if you've gotten good advice, but I'm not clear on how old you think the squirrel baby is -- 11 weeks or 16? If he's only 11 weeks, the very best thing is an "overwintering" enclosure where he can have a nest box and shelter with a constant food supply available. It can either be a locked-in situation if the enclosure is large enough (at least 8 x 8 x 8) or a come & go enclosure where a small door is open at all times. Trying to keep him in a cage, in your home all winter is not going to be a pleasant experience, I'd bet. If you don't have access to someone with an overwintering enclosure, I will Private Message you with my email and you can contact me. We might be able to put him with some of my fuzzers from this past season. :)

Gabe
12-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I agree with everyone on overwintering. If you found him in such poor conditon, that certainly indicates that he is unable to be on his own. Perhaps something happened to the mama. I tell everyone that finds a distressed juvenile squirrel that there are probably three more out there in distress also. So, keep your eyes open for his siblings.

newyorker
12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks so much to all of you who replied to my distress call, especially Island Rehabber, who has offered me a lifeline! If that doesn't work out, and I can't find another good overwintering option, the squirrel will just have to learn to tolerate my presence in the apartment for the duration! (He's a real cutie, but quite the grumbler...)

I don't believe there are any siblings to worry about...they would certainly have been noticed by one of the people who feed the squirrels in Washington Square Park every day.

Again, I really appreciate your support!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
one of the people who feed the squirrels in Washington Square Park every day.

Tell those people they are our kind of people, and thanks for being kind to the squirrels.:thumbsup :Welcome

island rehabber
12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Update on Vicki (newyorker)'s squirrel: we released him today at the same nature center where LB, Mikey and Nero live -- :wahoo:alright.gif
The day couldn't have been more perfect: 60 degrees, partly sunny, no wind to speak of. Vicki's squirrel began his day with a real New York commute on the train -- in a carrier, of course, and was perfectly well behaved. I picked them both up at the station and we drove to the nature center....there were several squirrels around including my fine, fat Nero who was very interested in the pecans I was holding. (New pic of Nero under his thread in the Nursery section.)
We thought we'd ease the new little guy into his surroundings by putting him in the enclosure and opening his carrier slowly, in case he was scared. Yeah. Right. He saw the open door, flew out and rocketed straight up the highest tree in the area -- to the top!! And there he stayed, grooving on the view, as happy as could be. (See pix.) We left his nest box and lots of food, and the weather is supposed to be very mild this week. I know his momma misses him a lot and if she's reading this I want to tell her she did a wonderful job with him, a wild squirrel whom she took in and nursed back to health even though he tried to bite her every chance he got. We have a new rehabber in the making, now -- so glad to have met you, Vicki newyorker! :) :thumbsup

Gabe
12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I love happy endings. What great pictures, blue sky, green leaves, in December, how does that work? :)

island rehabber
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I love happy endings. What great pictures, blue sky, green leaves, in December, how does that work? :)

It was a perfect day.....the green is English ivy and it's everywhere in that area. :)

Momma Squirrel
12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Sounds like he will do well and with already a great bunch of squirrels, Nero, LB, and Mikey, I am sure the now pros will show the newbie rookie all the good tree tops :thumbsup Great going all around

Somebody's Mother
12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
how wonderful! thanks new yorker for helping him on his way.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
:thumbsup another happy ending!! What a precious baby! Nice work Vicki!!

ravenlaws32
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
great ending !!!:thumbsup kudos to all involved.

Kathy56
12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Great work!!!! Thank you for helping this baby get better and then letting him live the good life. :bowdown

henrismom
12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Just a comment....I just read this whole thing, and the way that everyone just jumped in and helped, is WONDERFUL.
What a great bunch of people here. So glad to see the pictures, that was just
great. :thankyou

Critter_Queen
12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
YAY! So happy for newyorker and her squirrel! Yes, she did a FANTASTIC job sticking with his care and seeing him through to release. Big FAT Pat on the Back for you, Vicki. :thumbsup

So....

What's English Ivy? Does it choke off everything it touches like the ivy here in Iowa that I've seen? I would LOVE to have green leaves in December. Everything here is brown...'cept the evergreens...

island rehabber
12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
So....
What's English Ivy? Does it choke off everything it touches like the ivy here in Iowa that I've seen? I would LOVE to have green leaves in December. Everything here is brown...'cept the evergreens...

I don't think it's very good for the trees it's wrapped around....it looks so pretty now since it's the only thing green besides the pines, but it should probably be controlled before it chokes all those beautiful oak trees that my squirrels love to climb.

muffinsquirrel
12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
English Ivy. It's beautiful, it's green, it grows like wildfire, and IT'S POISIONOUS TO ANIMALS if they eat it. We have it all over here - I also love it - and the squirrels and other animals have more sense than to eat it, apparently. (At any rate, I haven't seen any bodies lying around, and the population is not declining.) I would not grow it in or on my cages, nor put any in the cage for any reason.

muffinsquirrel

island rehabber
12-12-2006, 09:11 PM
great info -- thanks for that! It doesn't appear to have been chewed on or tasted by anyone, so that explains it.

newyorker
12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Just a final postscript to this happy story. My little squirrel couldn't have had a finer (or, on reflection, more characteristic) release and I'll always be grateful to Island Rehabber for making it possible... Thanks again to each of you who offered your advice and support. I hope someday to know half enough to repay the favor!

Critter_Queen
12-13-2006, 09:04 AM
English Ivy. It's beautiful, it's green, it grows like wildfire, and IT'S POISIONOUS TO ANIMALS if they eat it. We have it all over here - I also love it - and the squirrels and other animals have more sense than to eat it, apparently. (At any rate, I haven't seen any bodies lying around, and the population is not declining.) I would not grow it in or on my cages, nor put any in the cage for any reason.

muffinsquirrel

Welp, forget that then. Why is it all the neat plants are toxic??? ~ pout ~

:D