PDA

View Full Version : Which Flowers/Blooms are OK?

Milo's Mom
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Now that Spring is here and the trees and bushes and flowers are either in bloom or will soon be blooming, how do I determine which are squirrel safe and which are not?
Is there a list somewhere? (I have not been able to find one)
I've been watching the wilds because everyone (non-TSBers) always complains that the squirrels eat all of their flowers/plants/etc. For some reason, my wilds do not eat my flowers...maybe cause I put food out for them? Or do I have yucky flowers?
The flowers/blooms in my yard that are in bloom (or soon will be) and are on the top of my question list are:

Tulips
Dogwood
Azalea
Pygmy Rhododendron
Rhododendron
Hydrangea (regular & oak leaf)
Lilac
Hosta
Daffodils
Phlox
Grape Hyacinths
Hyacinths (regular)
Apple (as in apple tree blooms)
Wisteria
Clematis
Iris
Bachelor Buttons
Bleeding Hearts
Catalpa Tree Blooms & Branches
Ferns (not blooms, just greenery)
Dandelion Blooms (I know the leaves are OK)
Wild Violets
Sand Cherry Bush (wood, leaves, & blooms)

How about mint leaves, specifically:

Spearmint
Peppermint
Chocolate Mint

I think I remember reading that Azalea & Rhododendrons are on the NOT SAFE list.

Anyone know for sure or know where I can go to find out? I'd be happy to compile a list for posting as a "sticky" I just need to know where to go to figure it out.

Rhapsody
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Here is a list of safe food & wild food
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

Azalea's and Bleeding Hearts are a BIG NO NO - :nono :nono
and... Rhododendron

rooh2011
04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
is this bad for them

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x364/rooh2011/berries.jpg

Rhapsody
04-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Do you know what it is? - Name?

rooh2011
04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
its some berry type things on a bush w. sharp leafs

Rhapsody
04-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I am wondering IF its some other type of Holly shrub.... let me check on it.

rooh2011
04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
yea i was looking at pics and thats what the bush looks like

Rhapsody
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Holly Bushe / Berries Fall under this Category for some......

Minor toxicity:
Ingestion may cause some minor symptoms such as rash, vomiting or diarrhea.
Ingestion of small amounts may not cause any symptoms at all.

I would wait and see IF any member has actually feed these berries to their squirrel before I gave any to mine..... as I would not risk the above symptoms.

Milo's Mom
04-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Here is a list of safe food & wild food
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

Azalea's and Bleeding Hearts are a BIG NO NO - :nono :nono
and... Rhododendron

Rhapsody - thank you for the list, but I have this list and I actually carry it around in my purse at all times so I can always refer to it. But, the majority of the items I listed are not listed on this list.
Actually it says to make sure that branches are not toxic...where do I find out if they are toxic to squirrels? What am I looking for?

CritterMom
04-27-2011, 05:53 AM
I would do a search on "Rat toxicity to _____" - search on each plant. They are very similar and there is lots of research done on rats that is published. If it's bad for rats, assume bad for squirrels.

Milo's Mom
04-27-2011, 06:01 AM
I would do a search on "Rat toxicity to _____" - search on each plant. They are very similar and there is lots of research done on rats that is published. If it's bad for rats, assume bad for squirrels.

Perfect!!!! Thank you very much!!!

Rhapsody
04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Check them against this list for Sugar Gliders - Safe & Unsafe Plants:
http://www.moondance-sugargliders.com/sugar_glider_plant-tree_information.htm

denyalmartin
06-25-2011, 12:51 AM
The best thing to do is buy some silk flowers and create your centerpiece, then check on them 8 hours later and see what happens.

Scooterzmom
06-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I know that at least carnations (not the florist's kind though because of the dye they sometimes use), and rosebuds are fine... so are miniature mums.

mpetys
06-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Now that Spring is here and the trees and bushes and flowers are either in bloom or will soon be blooming, how do I determine which are squirrel safe and which are not?
Is there a list somewhere? (I have not been able to find one)
I've been watching the wilds because everyone (non-TSBers) always complains that the squirrels eat all of their flowers/plants/etc. For some reason, my wilds do not eat my flowers...maybe cause I put food out for them? Or do I have yucky flowers?
The flowers/blooms in my yard that are in bloom (or soon will be) and are on the top of my question list are:

Tulips
Dogwood
Azalea
Pygmy Rhododendron
Rhododendron
Hydrangea (regular & oak leaf)
Lilac
Hosta
Daffodils
Phlox
Grape Hyacinths
Hyacinths (regular)
Apple (as in apple tree blooms)
Wisteria
Clematis
Iris
Bachelor Buttons
Bleeding Hearts
Catalpa Tree Blooms & Branches
Ferns (not blooms, just greenery)
Dandelion Blooms (I know the leaves are OK)
Wild Violets
Sand Cherry Bush (wood, leaves, & blooms)

How about mint leaves, specifically:

Spearmint
Peppermint
Chocolate Mint

I think I remember reading that Azalea & Rhododendrons are on the NOT SAFE list.

Anyone know for sure or know where I can go to find out? I'd be happy to compile a list for posting as a "sticky" I just need to know where to go to figure it out.

Can I just say, you're yard must be beautiful with all that!

Milo's Mom
06-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Thank you. It is pretty but it is also SO much work to maintain. Takes both of us all weekend every weekend...we do not go anywhere or do anything other than our yard. It sucks at times.

Milo's Mom
07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Can I just say, you're yard must be beautiful with all that!

I just found some pics of the landscaping from 2008. Too much to do and keep up on these days to take pics...everything you see here is still here plus more and it is A LOT bigger!! hehehehe

The top of the tree that you see in pic 4...yeah, that tree is now close to 10' tall and I've had to move all of the Day Lilly's to a different location because the tree took over. The Wisteria on the trellis wall...you can no longer see through the wall...it is solid plant, so solid in fact that the wisteria has destroyed the trellis wall and we've had to cut the wisteria way back add some serious structural support (we used the car to straighten it so we could drive 30 lag bolts through a massive beam we placed on top). Stuff has grown BIG TIME in the last few years...guess, I've got good dirt!!

mpetys
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
WOW! Absolutely beautiful. What kind of grass is that? It looks so lush. Those photos are an truly an inspiration! My yard will never look like that but we are going to do some work. I have an absolute brown thumb unless I am gardening in an earthbox. I didn't have a garden yet this year and I am just kicking myself because I could save so much money on squirrel food! But my husband is helping me get back into it so hopefully, I'll have some growing in my yard. Not as nice as yours but it's a start.

If you get time to take updated pics, I would love to see them.

Michele

Milo's Mom
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
My yard did NOT happen overnight. It has taken us YEARS of working nearly every weekend all weekend to get it to a point where we like it. There is SO much more that we want to do and need to do. I did find a few pics that I took in May 2010. You can see some of the difference in the growth of things. The pics are not that great as I was playing with the camera and it was dusk.
For the most part we have a combination of Kentucky Blue Grass & Fescue grass. We use 2 different kinds of grass due to the changes in our weather and ALSO, the grass needed to be cut in those pics...it was way to long!! MUCH different than the grass that Florida has, which I believe for the most part is a type of serpentine.

But, I am still interested in knowing if any of the plants in these pics are squirrel friendly or NO NO's.

Milo's Mom
07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Here is one more pic which was taken in June 2010. I was standing on the deck looking out into the front half of our back yard.

Anne
07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I will check on no-no trees and flowers for you. But what I want to know is what kind of fern that is. Mine has croaked these last two winters from the cold.

Milo's Mom
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I will check on no-no trees and flowers for you. But what I want to know is what kind of fern that is. Mine has croaked these last two winters from the cold.

It is a Royal Fern. Below is some info about Royal Ferns. I have so many of them and I am so sick and tired of digging them up and moving them. The next time I dig some up, I will mail them to you (priority mail). They spread like wild fire and I always have too many...they are even growing out of the flower bed and into my yard. I like how they sway in the breeze they make the flower beds look like they are alive and breathing!! hehehe

Growing Zones: 3-9
Height: 2-3 ft.
Width: 2-3 ft.
Growth / Year: N/A
Sunlight: Full - Partial
Blooms: Summer
Spacing: 2ft.
Botanical: Osmunda regalis

The Royal Fern is endowed with broad, leathery leaf fronds that reach 2-3 feet in height.

Warm coffee colored spores emerge in early spring.

It is also a fast grower, and in highly moist soils this fern will spread to a larger area.

The Royal Fern is an excellent choice for water gardens or along streams. Add distinction to the edges of cultivated landscape, shaded borders, or woodland settings. It's also a great combination plant to add color and texture.

Use the Royal Fern with Astilbe or Crocosmia to create instant impact. Almost any plant will make a great companion to the stately Royal Fern.