PDA

View Full Version : two babies raised by two mothers

kateg
04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Over the past few days I have been observing two of the older female squirrels taking fond care of each other and of two babies which are probably about 4-5 weeks old. The babies have fur and can move around but not very good with climbing up and down so the mothers normally carrie them around. The problem is that this is a townhouse complex in suburban Toronto and they seem to have difficulty finding a permanent den :( I believe they have been moving around, camping in the garbage rooms of various units (there is about 2 inch opening above every garbage room door). Most neighbours are totally heartless and chase them as a nuisance every time they discover them upon opening the door. Unfortunatelly the mothers have not discovered out garbage room yet where they would be more then welcome. Probably they do not like the high volume of traffic around our unit since I put lots of food for the squirrels in the morning and evenings. They spent last night in a nice open air 'den' formed by 3 main branches of a tree. However this den is only temporary since it will be raining for the rest of the week and the location is relatively low - any raccoon can get there for instance :( I have been giving the mothers pecans, almonds, filberts etc. I am really worried about this constant relocation with the babies though. They always move them one at a time and leave one behind. I have also come to realise how dangerous and inconsiderate most people are :( Anyways, do you normally see two mothers raising two babies together? I assume something bad must have happened to the rest so the mothers have teamed up. They are all soooo cute to watch but make me feel helpless and everything around them seems so dangerous... If you can come up with any ideas on how I can help them, please let me know. I have never seen squirrel babies being raised before and it seems totally overwhelming experience...

Rhapsody
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Not much we can so when the Momma Squirrels seem to have it under control..... just keep placing some good food & healthy nuts out there for momma to eat so the babies can continue to receive nourishing milk. :thumbsup

CritterMom
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Are there any trees where you could hang a nest box without management getting upset?

kateg
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Not much we can so when the Momma Squirrels seem to have it under control..... just keep placing some good food & healthy nuts out there for momma to eat so the babies can continue to receive nourishing milk. :thumbsup
Will keep feeding them! But is it common to have more then one Momma Squirrel taking care of the same babies? And I know those two older squirrels - they do not normally get along... Now they are like sisters and totally taking care of each other (and the babies):)

Rhapsody
04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
No it is not common nor it is common for squirrels to shack up together, but during the winter they will snuggle up with a strange squirrel or two IF it means they can stay warm and survive the cold........ SURVIVAL - at all cost (no matter what).

kateg
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Are there any trees where you could hang a nest box without management getting upset?
Unfortunately management is always trying to get rid of the squirrels not take care of them :( It is so frustrating... We are so attached to the squirrels in our area that we don't want to move to a new place. Yet to be able to take care of them we must really own our yard... Watch out for my future tread - "how to move to a new house and take the squirrels with you" :) I honestly can not understand how can people look at the two cute little babies and the two protective momma squirrels and not have any sympathy???

kateg
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
No it is not common nor it is common for squirrels to shack up together, but during the winter they will snuggle up with a strange squirrel or two IF it means they can stay warm and survive the cold........ SURVIVAL - at all cost (no matter what).

:thankyou
It must be something that Canadian squirrels do then :) Since it is so cold for so long here... However they seem to go way beyond just warming up each other. When they are moving one of the babies for instance, one is carrying the baby and the other follows like a shadow and chases any (male) squirrels that cross their way. They were both trying to scare off the neighbour yesterday and discourage him from opening his door! I am so amazed by their courage and coordinated efforts.

crazysquirrels
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I hate to say it but trap them. If they are scareing people they may get reported and it will go bad from there. Being they have babies I would try to relocate them. In a nest box if possible. Do you know anybody in the area that would love to have them in their yard?

kateg
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I hate to say it but trap them. If they are scareing people they may get reported and it will go bad from there. Being they have babies I would try to relocate them. In a nest box if possible. Do you know anybody in the area that would love to have them in their yard?
Not really :( Besides trapping 4 squirrels at the same time will be very difficult... I wish I could lure them to stay in our garbage room but how??

CritterMom
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Not really :( Besides trapping 4 squirrels at the same time will be very difficult... I wish I could lure them to stay in our garbage room but how??

Put an enclosed box with a hole in it wiyh some torn up t-shirts and fleece inside up as high as you can in there and start putting nuts and food in there for them. Food and a house. They are VERY smart.

kateg
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Put an enclosed box with a hole in it wiyh some torn up t-shirts and fleece inside up as high as you can in there and start putting nuts and food in there for them. Food and a house. They are VERY smart.
:thankyou I will give it a try!