PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Tails!

Squirrellady
12-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi there! I have a question about my squirrels' tail, I thought the way her tail looked was normal until she got some red spots on her tail, I have never seen the back of a squirrels tail so I thought her tail was ok, but now the spots have me worried. I just went outside to see my wild squirrels tails and they don't look like hers at all! You can see her skin, her tail has looked like this always. I am posting a picture! Please let me know what to do, and if she is ok. She seems to be doing just fine! She is 5 months old! Thank you!

Critter_Queen
12-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Looks ok to me. Mine have a fairly "thin" undertail too...even the ones outside. Is there something other than just being able to see the actual skin of her tail that's bothering you? If not, I'd say it's fine. Just keep an eye on it to be sure she's not losing any quantity of fur.

You mention spots, but I didn't see any...

Squirrellady
12-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes there is little red spots, they feel like it might be a scab, I wish I had a better picture! The spots look like they are on each section of her tail bone.
Do they eventually have hair grow on that side??? Thank for the response!

Squirrellady
12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I took another picture, they seem to be redder today! Hope you can see them now!! I pray she is ok! (Just a worrier)!! But I Love my Little Sweety!!

Critter_Queen
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Do you have a vet you could get her in to see? Those don't look right to me. I doubt it's anything serious...but it might need antibiotics because they look pretty inflammed.

How often do you change her cage and/or nest box bedding? If you don't do it every other day, try that and see it it helps. Another thought is that if you give her items you have washed...you should use Dreft or any other free/clear-type detergent without any fabric softeners or dryer sheets...they can be sensitive to the perfumes and fragrances...

Do you see her messing with her tail a lot? That looks like it would itch... Are there scabs? Is it sore to the touch? Will she allow you to put some neosporin on it?

Squirrellady
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
She sleeps in a hammock we made for her but I have not washed it lately, shame on me, But I will get some dreft to wash it with, did not even think about her being sensitive to our detergent, I put a shirt in there with her a few days ago, I bet that is what is wrong. She does not mess with her tail, but she makes that purring noise when I touch her tail, don't know what that means. I did put Neosporin on her last night and this morning. And No I have not found a Vet. yet, but I am still looking. I e-mailed someone, that I thought could see her but no reply back. Thank you so much Critter Queen, for your help!! I will let you know how she is doing!!! TSB is Awesome!!!!

Critter_Queen
12-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm glad I could help! I would say that the purring means it feels good, Mom! :D If it is a reaction to detergent or something similar, it should clear up within a week or so of fixing whatever the cause is. And don't feel bad for not washing the hammock too often, done that myself!

I would continue to apply neosporin if she isn't messing with her tail after you do it...and try changing/washing the bedding in fragrance free detergent and see if that helps.

Keep us posted!

Squirrellady
12-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to say that Sweety's tail is much better! It is not red anymore!
She is however growing some fur on the places where the red spots were located! I just wanted to give an update! Thank for your help Critter Queen!!:thumbsup

Gabe
12-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Good call CR on the detergent, I wouldn't have thought of that, well... maybe eventually. :D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Aww poor angel, shes to pretty to have a hurt tail. Hope she gets straightened out soon.

Critter_Queen
12-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Cool! :thumbsup I'm glad she's improving!

And, Gabe I'm SURE you would have thought of the detergent. :) You're a smart cookie! LOL!

I can't remember where I read that fragrances in our laundry stuff can be bad for them...you aren't even supposed to use dryer sheets! (makes ME itch thinkin' about it!) That's another reason I like the fleece, it doesn't need any softeners. Oh! And I saw this rubber ball with rubber "spikes" on it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a couple weeks ago...anyone know if they work? It says you throw it in the dryer with your clothes and you don't need fabric softener or dryer sheets???????? It'd be great for rehabbing if it really worked!

ravenlaws32
12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
great news and good call on detergents, i myself am very sensitive to laundry detergents and etc and have to get the mild mostly non chemical ones. glad the tail is better.