PDA

View Full Version : Chip and Dale

leenidia
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Hello all! I am a new mommy of two displaced beautiful grey squirrels. They were about 4.5 weeks when we met. They were displaced by the wind/rain storm about a week and a half ago. My husband named them Chip and Dale and they have different personalities. Their eyes just opened a day and a half ago and they are so precious. They eat every 3-4 hours and I’m tired..They love attention, lots of it. Dale is the rambunctious one, bullies his brother and Chip is the more quiet, docile and gentle. I hope they don’t change much and am not looking forward to release them, do I have to release them? I’m happy to have joined this forum and more importantly am glad that this exist! Any and all advise would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!:crazy

Nidia

stepnstone
04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
:Welcome leenidia, Thank you for rescuing these babies. Curious to know what formula you are using and what you are feeding them. Nutrition is very important for squirrels and the risk of MBD very deadly. Please refer to the sections on nutrition and question whatever you may be unsure of.
Please bear in mind that a grey squirrel is a wild animal and yes, they will change as they mature. It is an honorable thing to rescue a squirrel to ensure it's survival, even more honorable to be able to release it back into the wild to remain true to it's nature whenever possible. The primary goal of TSB and it's members is to do whatever possible to ensure the survival of wildlife and return to it's natural habitat.

Rhapsody
04-24-2011, 01:08 AM
I hope they don’t change much and am not looking forward to release them, do I have to release them? Dont Hate the Messenger - but YES you do have to release them as they are going to change and they are going to wild up when you least expect it..... thats what squirrels do. But HEY!! - Look at it this way..... you got 4 to 5 months to love and cherish your time with them before you will have to start their soft release... :thumbsup

If you have not already done so we here at TSB recommend feeding Fox Valley Squirrel Formula and you can use this homemade recipe until the FV arrives.... this will ensure the best for your squirrel babies. :thumbsup

Homemade Recipe - until FV arrives

1 cup Goats Milk
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

Fox Valley @
http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm
http://www.henryspets.com/

We also start all our squirrels out on HHB (at henryspet.com) around 7 weeks old -
Daily supplement squirrel block that is given in the AM along with a healthy diet.

Healthy Squirrel Diet:
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

leenidia
04-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Thank you very much for your advice. I have great respect and appreciation for nature and will do anything in my power to ensure that these babies or any other animal gets the proper treatment. I feel honored to have given the opportunity and the privilege to take care of them. Its a lot of time that I’m giving up and def a change of routine. I can honestly say that it’s exhausting! But I LOVE it!!! They eat a lot and get really cranky if I am a bit late on feeding them, it looks like they are fighting me until the nipple is in their mouth. Maybe it’s their instincts kicking in.. I just hope they don’t get worse. In will check the nutrition section to see what other foods I can feed them, in addition to their formula. I am feeding them Esbilac (powder) formula. I wasn’t sure to add the heavy cream or not. I’ve seen controversial comments and was a bit frightened and opted not to unless I have a positive yes that it’s ok. I will miss them when they have to get back to their natural habitat, I hope they visit.
:Welcome leenidia, Thank you for rescuing these babies. Curious to know what formula you are using and what you are feeding them. Nutrition is very important for squirrels and the risk of MBD very deadly. Please refer to the sections on nutrition and question whatever you may be unsure of.
Please bear in mind that a grey squirrel is a wild animal and yes, they will change as they mature. It is an honorable thing to rescue a squirrel to ensure it's survival, even more honorable to be able to release it back into the wild to remain true to it's nature whenever possible. The primary goal of TSB and it's members is to do whatever possible to ensure the survival of wildlife and return to it's natural habitat.

leenidia
04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey there, Happy Easter! Thanks for the info. I understand that I will have to release them, it’s just sad that these little creatures will get wild on their own regardless of how much handling they receive. It’s life and I can’t and won’t challenge it. I didn’t know that I can have them for 4 to 5 months. The litterature doensn’t really indicate the time frame of when they can be released. I just hope the don’t get too wild that I can no longer handle them. What is a soft release? Thanks!!!:crazy
Dont Hate the Messenger - but YES you do have to release them as they are going to change and they are going to wild up when you least expect it..... thats what squirrels do. But HEY!! - Look at it this way..... you got 4 to 5 months to love and cherish your time with them before you will have to start their soft release... :thumbsup

If you have not already done so we here at TSB recommend feeding Fox Valley Squirrel Formula and you can use this homemade recipe until the FV arrives.... this will ensure the best for your squirrel babies. :thumbsup

Homemade Recipe - until FV arrives

1 cup Goats Milk
1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
1/3 cup Heavy Cream

(lasts 72 hours in frig)

Fox Valley @
http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm
http://www.henryspets.com/

We also start all our squirrels out on HHB (at henryspet.com) around 7 weeks old -
Daily supplement squirrel block that is given in the AM along with a healthy diet.

Healthy Squirrel Diet:
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

leenidia
04-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello: Chip keeps sucking on Dale's wee wee and I can't seem to stop him. Any advise on what to do will be extremely helpful and welcomed. Are there any diapers that I could buy that would fit this little feller? Also, Chip is not eating as much as Dale, is that okay? I'm so worried about him. Thanks!:dono

stepnstone
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Hello leenidia, would like to suggest you take this out of (introduction) and move your concerns to (Non Life Threatening Help Needed ) You will get more attention by a wider range of members that can answer whatever concerns you may have.

CritterMom
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
First, we don't much like Esbilac around here, but if you are not having issues with it... One thing is that Esbilac is made for puppies and does not have enough fat in it for a squirrel, which is why people add heavy whipping cream. When I used Esbilac, I added 1/4 part cream (in other words, 2 parts water, 1 part powder, 1/4 part cream). I would add that in VERY SLOWLY over several feedings until you reach that ratio.

Hunger can cause them to nurse on one another's peenies. And you say Chip isn't eating much. Try playing with the temperature of the formula - heat it a bit more - a lot of babies are really fussy about temp. Also, the addition of the cream may make it taste better and he will want more. If you cannot get it into him in one feeding, you will need to feed him less, but more often. If he is full, he will hopefully leave his sibs penis alone!

leenidia
04-25-2011, 10:24 AM
thank you thank you thank you!!!!! :crazy I will try that. I didn't want to resort in separating them b/c they may get a bit ansy and depressed Their eyes opened up a few days ago.. they are so adoragle. I will try and feed Chip as you suggested. I ordered the formula from Fox Valley as another TSB suggested. When do I start incorporating other foods with his meal? They love chewing on the little blocks and wood sticks..:thankyou .QUOTE=CritterMom]First, we don't much like Esbilac around here, but if you are not having issues with it... One thing is that Esbilac is made for puppies and does not have enough fat in it for a squirrel, which is why people add heavy whipping cream. When I used Esbilac, I added 1/4 part cream (in other words, 2 parts water, 1 part powder, 1/4 part cream). I would add that in VERY SLOWLY over several feedings until you reach that ratio.

Hunger can cause them to nurse on one another's peenies. And you say Chip isn't eating much. Try playing with the temperature of the formula - heat it a bit more - a lot of babies are really fussy about temp. Also, the addition of the cream may make it taste better and he will want more. If you cannot get it into him in one feeding, you will need to feed him less, but more often. If he is full, he will hopefully leave his sibs penis alone![/QUOTE]

leenidia
04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
thank you thank you thank you!!!!! :crazy I will try that. I didn't want to resort in separating them b/c they may get a bit ansy and depressed. Their eyes opened up a few days ago.. they are so adorable. I will try and feed Chip as you suggested. I ordered the formula from Fox Valley as another TSB suggested. When do I start incorporating other foods with his meal? They love chewing on the little blocks and wood sticks..:thankyou .QUOTE=CritterMom]First, we don't much like Esbilac around here, but if you are not having issues with it... One thing is that Esbilac is made for puppies and does not have enough fat in it for a squirrel, which is why people add heavy whipping cream. When I used Esbilac, I added 1/4 part cream (in other words, 2 parts water, 1 part powder, 1/4 part cream). I would add that in VERY SLOWLY over several feedings until you reach that ratio.

Hunger can cause them to nurse on one another's peenies. And you say Chip isn't eating much. Try playing with the temperature of the formula - heat it a bit more - a lot of babies are really fussy about temp. Also, the addition of the cream may make it taste better and he will want more. If you cannot get it into him in one feeding, you will need to feed him less, but more often. If he is full, he will hopefully leave his sibs penis alone![/QUOTE]

CritterMom
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I would be putting blocks in with them now - just leave them there. They will play with them and wrestle with them and pee on them and chew on them and THEN discover that are edible... We usually urge people to let them nurse al long as they are willing to - don't YOU try to wean them. By boy was still slurping down his formula at 6+ months!

leenidia
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
rgr that.. they love the blocks and wood sticks. When do I incorporate food with their formula? What should I give them? they are young yet and don't want to underfeed them nor provide them with a non nourishing diet..:dono :dono
I would be putting blocks in with them now - just leave them there. They will play with them and wrestle with them and pee on them and chew on them and THEN discover that are edible... We usually urge people to let them nurse al long as they are willing to - don't YOU try to wean them. By boy was still slurping down his formula at 6+ months!

leenidia
04-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Okay, I’m a newbie at this, I will get a hang soon. Thanks..:dono

Hello leenidia, would like to suggest you take this out of (introduction) and move your concerns to (Non Life Threatening Help Needed ) You will get more attention by a wider range of members that can answer whatever concerns you may have.