PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea and lethargic!

Tara
04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Little Girl is approx 6 mths old and has had runny stools today. She's been dragging her bottom around some, but seemed fine most of the day. I assumed because of her bottom? I offered plenty of fluids, which includes water and FV-but she doesn't really drink the FV anymore.
Now she is lethargic, and her eyes say that she is definately sick sick sick! So far, I have made her the homemade pedialyte and she took about 8 cc's. I also gave her 2-3 drops of Kaopectate, and a paste with tums in it. She's not looking well at all. She won't even walk.
I've tried checking her hind legs, but she's not active enough to tell if she's using them or not.
At about 12 o'clock she was running, climbing, and leaping and everything as usual. She slept a good bit today, and I had to coax her out of her box. That's when I realized she was sick. :(
They haven't been getting alot of sunshine this week. They've been back in the house since the tree fell on their release cage working through their trauma. They've only been sleeping in their nest box for 3 nights now.
They have all decreased their eating as well. I've been offering HHB's, green beans, kale, turnip greens, cucumber, and cauliflower. They've also had roses, branches, and they had moss with the dirt yesterday for the first time. We HAVE been overdoing it a little with the pecans, but I cut them off yesterday because I noticed that they haven't been eating their blocks and veggies.
So, what else should I do? Her last stools were black and formed. NO FV in that I'm guessing. :O How much of the pedialyte should I push on her tonight? She's in my fiance's shirt asleep in the living room that she's not allowed in-which means she's really sick, because normally she would be exploring everything! Help! No vet either.

djarenspace9
04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I've had similar incidents with my squirrels here and there.
It usually resolves within 24 hours.
I also use a bit of Kaopectate just in case.
It's probably something she ate so one thing I'd do is clean out the cage/nest or anywhere there may be a stash.
Evaluate the foods you gave today to see if any could be tainted or spoiled.

When they feel icky they don't want to run around as usual, so that
may explain the lethargy.
BUT there's always a chance of something toxic being at play,
so there may be other advice in that regards that experienced members can give.

I hope she bounces back quickly!
If it persists or worsens I can't really advise as I've never had that happen.
I would personally take mine to a vet if it did not get better in 24hours.

Tara
04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks djarenspace9.

She wont take anymore of the pedialyte or tums paste right now. She also had runny stools again, which were green with a very foul smell. I think I read something somewhere about that...can't remember what it means..

djarenspace9
04-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Go to the Emergency section and look for posts with similar
titles or do a search for keywords like "lethargic" and "diarrhea".
You may find some useful advice until someone replies that
can really help you.

(I guess I should read up a bit too so I know what I would do
if that ever happened to one of mine...)

CritterMom
04-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Keep her nice and warm - if your house is cool, use a heating pad. Let her sleep for an hour and then give her some more pedialyte. I would do this for a while - if she ate something that made her ill (moss and dirt??) the large quantity of fluids will help to flush it out. Stinky poops can mean coccidia but you need to see if this resolves first.

Warm/quiet/very well hydrated.

Tara
04-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I was searching and found that coccidia sounds like the culprit. I'm hoping not, but it seems very likely. :( I only have baytril (which Papa was allergic to) and amoxicillin. Neither are anti parasitics, right? OH DEAR!?!?!?!?
Praying that it's not coccidia...but Papa has been losing weight...? Would all 3 have it possibly?

mugzeezma
04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I was searching and found that coccidia sounds like the culprit. I'm hoping not, but it seems very likely. :( I only have baytril (which Papa was allergic to) and amoxicillin. Neither are anti parasitics, right? OH DEAR!?!?!?!?
Praying that it's not coccidia...but Papa has been losing weight...? Would all 3 have it possibly?

Yes
most are exposed to it at birth.
these are the babies that had a tree fall on their cage?
that would stress them enough for coccidia to ramp up and become problematic.
Can you get hold of any SMZ-TMP?
If you have a dog or cat you may be able to talk the vet into selling some tablets and I can help you dose it.

lilidukes
04-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Tara I have smz-tmp I can share with you if you think it is coccidia.

Jackie in Tampa
04-22-2011, 09:48 PM
green and slimmy maybe giardia , especially if smells like death...a very unique smell...
could be coccidia:dono
...7 - 10 days on the smz-tmp, but flagyl will take care of either...
lili has both and they are fresh!:thumbsup
probotics a must.
I have neevr seen a sudden outbreak of cocchidia with lethargy, usually they have appetite and continue to play etc...just bad poops...
so I am concerned something else may be going on...this just started?
how are the others?

Jackie in Tampa
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
sent the info

Tara
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
green and slimmy maybe giardia , especially if smells like death...a very unique smell...
could be coccidia:dono
...7 - 10 days on the smz-tmp, but flagyl will take care of either...
lili has both and they are fresh!:thumbsup
probotics a must.
I have neevr seen a sudden outbreak of cocchidia with lethargy, usually they have appetite and continue to play etc...just bad poops...
so I am concerned something else may be going on...this just started?
how are the others?

Hi Jackie. Definately green and slimy. Strong foul smell...not sure if death smell. Does not smell like roadkill. After speaking wiht lili, we've decided that the moss may be the culprit since lethargy doesn't seem to be a sudden symptom of coccidia. I'm going to continue pushing fluids overnight and if she takes a turn for the worse, I'm going on a road trip.
She's acted fine today, went to let them out this afternoon and she stayed in her box. Finally came out and could immediately tell that she was sick.

All three have decided to skip the veggies and blocks, so I'm having to do the tough love and NO nuts until they switch back over. I was afraid of MBD at first. Papa has slimmed up and I can see his little hind muscles. I've been contemplating a post about that for a while...but I'm such a worrier, I wasn't sure if it's a problem or not. Big Girl is okay...minus a portion of her tail. It looks good and doesn't appear infected. She hasn't messed with it at all. Bone is still there.
They have all been through a lot with the tree falling on them and all. :( Poor babies. No tummy problems with the others...although Papa squeaks anytime you touch his tummy or head? Not sure what that's about.

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 08:27 AM
How is she this am???:grouphug :grouphug

Tara
04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
hey lili! she's still sick. her eyes look a little better in the last 5 mins or so...but she won't drink or eat. she's decided that she wants on top of her cage, so she's sitting there. I'm still trying to push fluids, but you'd think she was getting a shot or something!
Jackie recommended that I get a fecal here, so I was going to take her and beg at my vets office until i realized it was a legality issue for the vet to see her. So then I called and asked if I could get a fecal done for my pet rat to check for coccidia and giardia, and they said no.
so...how are you today? :/

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
hey lili! she's still sick. her eyes look a little better in the last 5 mins or so...but she won't drink or eat. she's decided that she wants on top of her cage, so she's sitting there. I'm still trying to push fluids, but you'd think she was getting a shot or something!
Jackie recommended that I get a fecal here, so I was going to take her and beg at my vets office until i realized it was a legality issue for the vet to see her. So then I called and asked if I could get a fecal done for my pet rat to check for coccidia and giardia, and they said no.
so...how are you today? :/

That is bull from the vet it is not illegal here

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Offer her anything even a pecan and see if she will eat it.

Tara
04-23-2011, 09:52 AM
she ate the pecan. vet is not exotic and will not see rats or squirrels. have tried several times. trying to find a vet that will give fecal.

Jackie in Tampa
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM
she ate the pecan. vet is not exotic and will not see rats or squirrels. have tried several times. trying to find a vet that will give fecal.keep calling and asking...it would be nice to have a positive diagnosis...but we can always fake it....
hurry time is running out. Easter Weekend too.
Lili...ck craigs list ..watching for microscope...yard sales too...we need a biologist up there, and you're IT!:D not today, but when you see one!:thumbsup
No matter what...push calcium and fluids...get the probotics we taked about...yadayada ...let's go girls:grouphug
Lili will call me and we will decide what meds etc...just was hoping for a dang vet...errrrr.
:soapbox

Jackie in Tampa
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
she ate the pecan. vet is not exotic and will not see rats or squirrels. have tried several times. trying to find a vet that will give fecal.of course she did...she weighs 632 grams...:crazy she loves to eat!:D Bless her sweetness.:Love_Icon

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
she ate the pecan. vet is not exotic and will not see rats or squirrels. have tried several times. trying to find a vet that will give fecal.

The pecan is a good sign, so she is not to sick to eat. Maybe just being stubborn with the mama treatments.

My vet is over an hour from me now. We couldn't make it there today before closing.

Do you have a petsmart close with a banfield????

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 10:11 AM
keep calling and asking...it would be nice to have a positive diagnosis...but we can always fake it....
hurry time is running out. Easter Weekend too.
Lili...ck craigs list ..watching for microscope...yard sales too...we need a biologist up there, and you're IT!:D not today, but when you see one!:thumbsup
No matter what...push calcium and fluids...get the probotics we taked about...yadayada ...let's go girls:grouphug
Lili will call me and we will decide what meds etc...just was hoping for a dang vet...errrrr.
:soapbox

:osnap something else to add to my must have list:osnap :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :bowdown

mugzeezma
04-23-2011, 10:12 AM

SMZ-TMP and flagyl are fairly easy on the digestive system. Is she continues with the foul diarrhea I would go ahead and medicate. If LiliD doesn't have the flagyl you can substitute with FishZole.

Not that you have to do this yet BUT since it is a holiday weekend you might want to pick up some pecan or vanilla flavored Ensure Plus. Not too many sick squirrelies will turn that yummy stuff down!
You don't want her to get too run down.

why do they always get sick on Friday???:dono

Jackie in Tampa
04-23-2011, 10:13 AM
:osnap something else to add to my must have list:osnap :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :bowdown
I know it...:shakehead

I own nothing anymore that doesn't deal with sqs...
I have more wtaer bottles than drinking glasses...
:rotfl

Tara
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm home. Need a little help when you get a chance Miss Jackie! :) Thanks!

BTW-she is breathing hard with her mouth open. She looks pitiful. :(

Jackie in Tampa
04-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I did PM some info for you
:grouphug

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Tara tried to call, how's she doing???

leenidia
04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey, I would have her/him checked out. black stool is not good, thats indication of internal bleeding. I’m not an expert, so I would have the poor baby checked out.
Little Girl is approx 6 mths old and has had runny stools today. She's been dragging her bottom around some, but seemed fine most of the day. I assumed because of her bottom? I offered plenty of fluids, which includes water and FV-but she doesn't really drink the FV anymore.
Now she is lethargic, and her eyes say that she is definately sick sick sick! So far, I have made her the homemade pedialyte and she took about 8 cc's. I also gave her 2-3 drops of Kaopectate, and a paste with tums in it. She's not looking well at all. She won't even walk.
I've tried checking her hind legs, but she's not active enough to tell if she's using them or not.
At about 12 o'clock she was running, climbing, and leaping and everything as usual. She slept a good bit today, and I had to coax her out of her box. That's when I realized she was sick. :(
They haven't been getting alot of sunshine this week. They've been back in the house since the tree fell on their release cage working through their trauma. They've only been sleeping in their nest box for 3 nights now.
They have all decreased their eating as well. I've been offering HHB's, green beans, kale, turnip greens, cucumber, and cauliflower. They've also had roses, branches, and they had moss with the dirt yesterday for the first time. We HAVE been overdoing it a little with the pecans, but I cut them off yesterday because I noticed that they haven't been eating their blocks and veggies.
So, what else should I do? Her last stools were black and formed. NO FV in that I'm guessing. :O How much of the pedialyte should I push on her tonight? She's in my fiance's shirt asleep in the living room that she's not allowed in-which means she's really sick, because normally she would be exploring everything! Help! No vet either.

Gina
04-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Hoping everything is ok with your little one, prayers are with you both:Love_Icon :grouphug

Tara
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of the help today!

Little Girl had a spurt of energy, but is back down again right now. She's being groomed by her siblings right now. :) She's taken her medicines, and hopefully she will get better soon!

I had a wonderful visit with one of the members today! She and her family were absolutely wonderful and I got to meet all kinds of babies (including a precious human one-lol)! :D That's the first time I've ever been to another home that rehabs squirrels, and I learned so much! It was an awesome experience! THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! :thankyou

Also, a special thanks to Lilidukes and Jackie who helped me get through this day! ;) And everyone else too!!!!!! :jump :grouphug

lilidukes
04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
This is when you have to say TSB rocks:alright.gif

Little Girl you get better and stop making your squammy and squaddy worry.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Why is it they always choose to get sick late on Fridays? :thinking :thinking :thinking

Tara
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
TSB ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara
04-23-2011, 08:29 PM
BIG GIRL WEIGHS 643G AND PAPA WEIGHS 548G. LITTLE GIRL IS STILL THE SAME @ 632G.. :)

lilidukes
04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Happy Easter Tara and family!

How is Little Girl today???:grouphug

Tara
04-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Happy Easter to you and your family as well...and ALL of those babies!!!!!

Little Girl is doing awesome today! She acts like a new squirrel! Do you think that I should continue with the meds?

BTW- How are the bunnies?

lilidukes
04-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Happy Easter to you and your family as well...and ALL of those babies!!!!!

Little Girl is doing awesome today! She acts like a new squirrel! Do you think that I should continue with the meds?

BTW- How are the bunnies?

:wahoo So glad to hear that she is feeling better. The metro goes for 2x a day for 7 days do not stop or miss one of these. The smz-tmp another 2x for 7 can't hurt her and lets be safe. The tramadol is just for pain and if she is feeling fine discontinue.

Are the other two still okay?

3 of the tiny bunnies are still with us. One is eyes open and another one is cracking. These 3 are looking very good.

lilidukes
04-25-2011, 07:16 AM
After consulting with others keep her on the smz-tmp and Heat for sure continue the metro.:grouphug

Tara
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks lilidukes! I've continued with the smz. She had her fourth dose this morning. I've only given her one dose of the tramadol, which was Saturday night. Since then, she's been acting so much better and I didn't think she was in pain, so I didn't push it. She hates the smz...while the other two keep trying to take it away from us. LOL! Nosey little critters! :jump
After talking with Jackie, and if I understood correctly...we never started her on the metro. I'm hoping that I didn't misunderstand. :osnap
Therefore, she's only taking the smz 2x/day for 7 days at this point. Should I make any changes?
Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug

Glad to hear that the bunnies are doing well!

leenidia
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm so happy she is much better!!!!:crazy
Thanks lilidukes! I've continued with the smz. She had her fourth dose this morning. I've only given her one dose of the tramadol, which was Saturday night. Since then, she's been acting so much better and I didn't think she was in pain, so I didn't push it. She hates the smz...while the other two keep trying to take it away from us. LOL! Nosey little critters! :jump
After talking with Jackie, and if I understood correctly...we never started her on the metro. I'm hoping that I didn't misunderstand. :osnap
Therefore, she's only taking the smz 2x/day for 7 days at this point. Should I make any changes?
Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug

Glad to hear that the bunnies are doing well!

lilidukes
04-25-2011, 10:40 AM
My bad just hang on to the metro the day will come when you will need it. :thumbsup

Every squirrel wants what the other one has:rotfl

I got bit yesterday by one of my releases not over a nut but over a piece of sweet potato Teeny had it and Sissy wanted it and I was in the middle:shakehead :shakehead

Another buns eyes opened today. They are so sweet.:Love_Icon