PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Wisconsin

twitterpated66
04-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi, My name is Michelle and I live in Kenosha, Wi. The only pets I have right now are 2 dogs. Kylie is a 9 year old mini aussie (aka north american shepherd) and Brandie is almost 2, she is a rescued "colliedor" (collie lab mix.) In the past I have had many pets including some exotics. I have always and will always have some kind of pet. I can't imagine my life any other way. I have been wanting to get another pet. I actually have been looking for a chipmunk. In my search on the net, this board popped up a lot, so I thought I would join. I wouldn't mind having a squirrel. I know the flying squirrels are illegal here. I'm not sure about other types or chipmunks. Does anyone know where I can find out for sure? What I found so far has been vague. Well I guess that's if for now. I really don't know what to say about myself. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Michelle

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
04-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi Michelle!

:Welcome

I'm from WI too, and I can tell you that unfortunately, squirrels are illegal to own here, unless you're a licensed rehabber and have a special license to own (this license pertains to if the animal can be kept for educational purposes.) Sure, it's legal to hunt and cook them, but care for one as a pet, that's a no-no... :soapbox

Many members also have other rodents as pets, even ferrets (even though those aren't rodents).

Or, a good option is going to a wildlife rescue and volunteering to help. Lots of babies out there need help and you can learn all about squirrels hands-on!!

Keep in touch!!

mugzeezma
04-22-2011, 07:33 PM
:Welcome

In Illinois (and probably WI)
Squirrels are not legal to keep as pet unless they are purchased from a USDA licensed breeder. You may also have to have a permit of some type as well. I'm not really up on WI law but you can probably get the info from the DNR, Fish and Wildlife, or USDA.
Siberian Chipmunks are legal to keep and breed here in Illinois and perhaps in WI.
Do plenty of research. These little animals require a lot more space and care than a rat or hamster.

good luck in your search!