PDA

View Full Version : New from Southern NH/MA! Lots of pictures! ;)

littlebeky
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi, I'm Beky. I just posted a rant over in non-life threatening but I figured I'd make an introductory post when I realized there was an area to do so! I live in Southern NH/MA border area and am almost 21 years old. My mum and I have been raising needy squirrels together since I was around 14 or 15 years old. Personally I have helped raise 2 reds and 2 greys with my mother exclusively. As a family we took in one flying squirrel that we raised and had for around 8 years I believe. Separately we both have raised greys as well. Of course the grey I raised personally has my heart, he was my baby. He was successfully released in a beautiful wooded and quiet area of Southern NH (right in my boyfriend's back yard) and it's definitely bittersweet.

Growing up we were an animal-centric family I'd say! We had cats, dogs, ferrets and any animal that needed our help. Currently, between my family and my boyfriend's family (I split time between the two and count their family as mine) there's 10 cats (Teena, Robert, Frank, Betty, Alma, Ruthie, Norman, Scarlet, Tofu and Lucy), 2 turtles (Juicy and Hansel), 1 fish (named Fish...), African Clawed Toad (Casper), 1 featherless pigeon (he's an interesting story, his name is Henry), 1 Love Bird (Pika), 2 Keets (Rob and Hook) and Paxton the 16 year old bag o' bones pit bull who still thinks he's a puppy. Woooah! That's a lot of info! Sorry!

Anyways, my boyfriend had raised baby ducks before we started dating, as well as little birds and such. He worked at home depot for the summers in the garden department and he would ALWAYS find poor momma birds trying to nest in areas that he knew would get destroyed etc. :( He's saved a few birdies from the Depot. Anyways. Either him or his mum found Henry, the pigeon, at Home Depot. He was FEATHERLESS but not a baby. Everyone kind of decided he must have been eating some not so good fertilizer or something along those lines so they took him home and have had him for over 5 years now. Occasionally he'll look a little fluffier sometimes...but nope, he never grew feathers! He's not s super friendly guy but he lets the boyfriend clip his nails etc and likes to coo at us and take paper shreds and what not and bring it into his 'house'.

I've attached some photos, sorry if they're large! Some of my squirrel Axeman, some of Paxton, and one of Henry too :)

Love this board, it helped me so much when raising my guy. Thanks all and I'm so excited to be a member now!

Rescue04
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
:Welcome cute animals!!

Tickle's Mom
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

You must tell the story of your featherless one :Love_Icon

UDoWhat
04-11-2011, 09:06 PM
:Welcome , Glad to have you here. Great animal friends! Sweet pigeon.:Love_Icon

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

2ndHandRanchRescue
04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
:Welcome again and OMG I :Love_Icon Henry!!!!

JakesLittlePrincess
04-12-2011, 06:21 AM
:Welcome Love the pics!

pappy1264
04-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Welcome to TSB! Very cute critters! I have a pigeon, too (although she has all her feathers!) I am glad you found this place, it is a great place to share and learn and just talk...lol

Busysqrl
04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome Kudos to you, your boyfriend and your family for rescuing so many wonderful animals! You sound like true animal lovers. You'll love it here on TSB. So many other animal nuts to share your pictures and stories with. We hope to hear much more :grouphug

littlebeky
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks all!! <3

Fireweed
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Woot! Happy to have you join us! :Welcome Beautiful pics of beautiful animals! Can't wait to see/read more... :alright.gif