PDA

View Full Version : Found a little grey squirrel yesterday

kaine123
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm guessing he feel out of his nest as we can see it in our tree in the backyard. and his mom is a no show. my dog the one that really found him didn't hurt him just held him in is mouth and i took him inside. he was very cold so i went online build his little shelter and re-hydrated him which didn't need much doing. Ive been feeding him puppy formula 1 and 1half to 1 ratio and he seems much better now very active and calm and not cold anymore. There are no signs of wounds but I do not see him using his back legs. Ive done little pinches on his tail and he can feel them cause he will twitch and back feet do semi clinch around me when held for feeding time. I will post pictures like to get an idea of it's age I'm thinking around 6 weeks. And if its normal for him not really to be walking cause he hasn't learned how yet, idk? His front legs work just fine and he's very nice in demeanor. I'm hoping he hasn't hurt himself. We have named him Peanut for the time being. So any help would be appreciated. thank you.

kaine123
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
btw its not letting me post pictures? any help.

Nancy in New York
04-08-2011, 06:10 PM
btw its not letting me post pictures? any help.
If you want you can email me the pictures and I will post for you.:thumbsup
nmognoni@nycap.rr.com

Here is an excellent link that will help you.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11782
Important things. Put the baby in a container and put the container half on and half off of a non automatic shut off heating pad, set on low.
Add lots of fleece or flannel, never towels as they can get their little nails caught.
Feed only with a 1 cc syringe....preferably Fox Valley formula with can be purchased at http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp or http://henryspets.com you should get the 20/50 type formula.

Another excellent link to determine the age of your baby:
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/feature/174/how-to-determine-the-age-of-a-baby-squirrel.htm
and also from Chris Clark's site.
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/feature/166/basic-steps-to-hand-rearing-a-baby-squirrel.htm

kaine123
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Well this is peanut she is doing great now!!! loves to feed and i get to her to pee all the time. Ive started her on that Arnica stuff. It's working cause she been able to twitch her tail now and her feet. Great stuff. I'm very happy with her progress. I've gotten her to poop once so i was wondering whats up with that. And I read I can give her something maybe to help her a little bit. Well any help will be appreciated, and thank you in advance. :)

UDoWhat
04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I am a bit worried about not using back legs. Can she use her legs at all? By this age (6 weeks) she should be able to walk or crawl around now. We will need to know more about this.
What are you feeding her? She should be on formula for another 9-10 weeks. We recommend Fox Valley formula. Can be ordered on line. The links have been given in another post. Until you can order the formula, you can use the temporary below. Formula should be fed warm.

Jackie in Tampa Temporary Formula

1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix together and store in a glass or plastic container in refrigerator for 72 hours max. You can use powdered goats milk. Follow directions on package to make goats milk then mix with above ingredients.
I don't know what you are feeding her but if she isn't getting formula she may not have a poo for a while. Please post what she is eating.

Marty, Licensed Maryland Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

jo_schmoe
04-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi Kaine!!:wave123 :wave123
I hate to say it...but I dont think you have a grey squirrel there. Looks like a sweet little foxer baby. Look at that face!!! ( wow this whole story reminds me so much of Jude):thankyou
You have gotten some super advise!! The formula is VERY important!! If you need help in obtaining some, please let us know.
She should be urinating after each time you feed her...and most of those time she should be having a bowel movement. How many per day would you say she has? Could she not be moving her back end because of constipation? If you cant get her to go....you can try soaking her bottom half in a tub of warm water and massaging her belly. Worked really well for us when our guys had poopie troubles. If it is from an injury...dont fret. I had great success with a product called Vetri DMG which I purchased at Chris Squirrels and More. ( online)
We had a little guy come in last summer with a broken back....and he made a full recovery in just a few months. Their recuperative powers are remarkable. I never believed it myself until I saw it with my own eyes. I just remember having it confirmed that he was broken...and how awful and helpless I felt....but in no time....he was running and jumping.
Sending good energy your way. and again....LOOK AT THAT FACE!!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
04-11-2011, 05:29 AM
is that blood on the rice buddy?

Rescue04
04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
dont forget to always feed the baby when he/she is warm.

jo_schmoe
04-11-2011, 05:45 AM
I thought this may help.
Here is a comparison of Peanut and Jude. Neither one seem to have the energy or movement of most squirrels at this age.
They appear to be about the same age....and notice the curved back and tucked legs. Im almost willing to bet this little guy has a back injury. I will also post a video of Jude walking about a week after we got him. Tell me if the movements are similar.
http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/jo_schmoe/?action=view&current=0903001029.mp4

jo_schmoe
04-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Any news? I can't get this baby out of my head.
With all the chaos at Annie Oakleys farm I still cant help it...I keep turning my thoughts to this one. We need to get some weight on this kid. (big fat foxers in the background yelling in their tiny squirrel voices... "Yeah!!!")

If there is anything I can do to help just say the word. I will do what I can.
My cheese may have slid completely off of my cracker....yes....BUT...I swear Jude is trying to tell me something folks. I just need to listen. In the meantime Jude....your help would be greatly appreciated with the crazed squirrel poisoning lady. Maybe drop a few "chocolate sprinkles" on her head if ya get a chance. :D

Rhapsody
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Yep..... that 3d pic screams FOXER and I want to Squirrel Nap it :rotfl :rotfl

UDoWhat
04-11-2011, 11:27 PM
How is this little one doing? :dono Hope to hear soon.

Marty

stosh2010
04-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Welcome kaine123...
I re-sized your photos...so we can appreciate your little buddy...
His Name is ????

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%
Stosh >>> keeper of Rama Rota ( King of Costa Rica)

VISIT the KING at:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27141&page=260

crazy4squirrels
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
That sure does look like a little foxer. Look at the paddles on that kid. Pretty baby hopefully there is more movement in those back legs.
????How is baby today??????

UDoWhat
04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Kaine123, Do you have an update on this little one? :poke Love to know how things are going.

Marty, Licensed Maryland Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

virgo062
04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Kaine!!:wave123 :wave123
I hate to say it...but I dont think you have a grey squirrel there. Looks like a sweet little foxer baby.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

kaine123
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
on the sock that is not blood just the rice getting cooked and staining the sock. there is slight movement now in her back feet she can now clinch them little bit, and she able to twitch her tail. Which she will do when shes getting fussy about me cleaning her face after eating. she going to the bathroon both 1 and 2 now so thats good. And yes I also noticed after looking at her more she is a fox. But she has been really been getting movement back in her tail and back legs since I've been giving her Arnica. still crawing though but there is progress. Will update when there is any change.

jo_schmoe
04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
on the sock that is not blood just the rice getting cooked and staining the sock. there is slight movement now in her back feet she can now clinch them little bit, and she able to twitch her tail. Which she will do when shes getting fussy about me cleaning her face after eating. she going to the bathroon both 1 and 2 now so thats good. And yes I also noticed after looking at her more she is a fox. But she has been really been getting movement back in her tail and back legs since I've been giving her Arnica. still crawing though but there is progress. Will update when there is any change.
Thank you so much for the update. Good to hear that she is getting some movement back. I posted a video of our Jude who had a back injury for you to see. I was wondering if you could watch it and tell me if the movements are similar.

kaine123
04-15-2011, 01:02 AM
post the video

jo_schmoe
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Sorry bout that. It was in an earlier posting I sent you. You must not have seen it.
Here it is....
http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/a...0903001029.mp4
Let me know if the movements are similar.

pappy1264
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Just clicked on it and it says it has been moved or deleted....just wanted to let you know Jo....

jo_schmoe
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Just clicked on it and it says it has been moved or deleted....just wanted to let you know Jo....
Thank you!! I will see if I can re post it on photobucket.

jo_schmoe
04-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you!! I will see if I can re post it on photobucket.
ok..try this one.
http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af101/jo_schmoe/?action=view&current=0903001029.mp4

pappy1264
04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Yup, it worked....now I am crying.....;-(

jo_schmoe
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Yup, it worked....now I am crying.....;-(
:grouphug :grouphug Dont cry Pappy. He came so far from that day. I just want Kaine to see what the movements look like when there is a back injury and how much the meds can help. If Her little guy has the same movements to not fret....they can heal but might need a little boost from her. I never thought he would be able to sit up or jump or anything. Boy was I wrong!!! And just to let you know...( we all know I'm crazy anyways ) Jude is still here. I swear to it!!!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

pappy1264
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I am sure he is. His passing hurt....so unexpected and so very sad. Seeing him like that, back then.....I know you understand. Just love these babies so much.....

kaine123
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
yeah saw the video. somewhat similar. peanut isn't using her back legs when the walks. but she does now kicked them and move them when you feed her so there healing Im guessing. and her tail is working now as well. so I guess these are good things. input anyone?