PDA

View Full Version : pinky with big belly

Wonkawillie
04-03-2011, 09:07 AM
OK, I have those three little pinkies. The tiny one has a BIG belly. Even when it has been 3 hours since feeding. he acts normal, wants to eat, pees, poops, stretches, yawns, etc. Seems to have an very large dark spot I can see through his belly skin. I am sure it is his liver, but something in there is making him look like a light bulb, even when he is empty of food. His body looks thin to me, with that huge belly. I would like to feed him a bit more or with more fat ( they are getting fox valley mix 2 ; 1). trying to post a pic for you135674

Wonkawillie
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Sorry those are terrible pics.

Nancy in New York
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Try taking the picture a little further back, it's a little difficult to see his belly. :)

Jackie in Tampa
04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Pinkster appears to have bloat...
bloat is caused by formula in the belly too long, growing yeast...
here is some info from Christina Clark.

This is not normally seen on arrival but may occur if an animal has been fed an improper formula or overfed. Be sure to follow the feeding instructions closely and the improper formula will not be an issue. If the baby does bloat, don’t feed or offer water until its resolved. You can offer a few drops of human baby gas drops (simethicone) to ease the gas. You can also soak the baby’s lower half in a warm water bath while you massage his tummy. Do this for 5 minutes or so, then dry the baby and let him rest in a warm spot for 15 minutes and try again. Your goal is to get the baby to pass stool, gas or urine, and relieve the bloat.

UDoWhat
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
It appears that he is not digesting the food properly. I have not used the product Vital HN but others have. I belive it is easier to digest. I think Jackie or IR have talked about it's benefits not sure exactly who. Perhaps someone who has could give guidance as to if it would/could help here. Was this another really cold body temp baby upon intake?

UDoWhat
04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't like the way his tummy looks. Do you think he might benefit from some SQ Lactated Ringers? Just to give his gut a rest, but keep him hydrated? Just grapsing at straws here. Do not use 5% Dextrose /Lactated Ringers it should only to be given orally or IV. If given SQ it will draw fluids out of the animal , resulting in an increased level of dehydration. Again just a thought.

JLM27
04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Maybe this thread needs to be in Emergency, Life Threatening