PDA

View Full Version : is this from mites?

pappy1264
04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
First it was just Precious....and only her tail. Now I notice it is also on Sammy's tail and Sebations, as well. There are no red bumps or marks that I can see, just fur loss (the long fur on the tail, like someone cut it off from the sides). No other spots on the body. Should I treat w/revolution just in case? Would mites only show/cause fur loss on just the tail? I do see them scratching, but I don't think it is excessive. Ugh....what do I do? Precious' tail has been this way for I believe a few weeks, give or take. But now with seeing it on two more of them (have not notice any fur loss on Diva's tail so far). I will try to get pics (not easy to get a pic of their tails...they move so fast! lol) Any ideas? I think they eat pretty good, and again, if it were diet, would it only show on the tail????

jo_schmoe
04-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Sounds like some sort of parasite. Any chance on getting a fecal done?? I don't know if these are wilds or not but have you noticed any changes in their stools?? Our female dog had contracted Giardia, and lost most of her hair starting with the tail. She got it from stagnant water that she jumped in while we were fishing.

Rhapsody
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Pappy is this a duplicate post? - sounds like one you and I already covered together...... just checking. :dono

other thread:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=629409#post629409

pappy1264
04-16-2011, 11:44 AM
It is, I couldn't find that. But where it is just the tail, I was in the thoughts could it even be mites? They are not itching at all, they eat really well. I have to get a pic of Precious' tail.

squirrelfriend
04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
It sounds like shedding to me. Shedding can often occur in sectrions. In this case the tail. Check the tail for crustiness, scabs and or rawness.

For lice you can check in that area for little eggs. They look like white elongated shiny things stuck to the fur and don't come off until the hair does.

squirrelfriend
04-21-2011, 12:44 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2766

Here is a link to some photos I posted a while back of lice eggs under the microscope.

Rhapsody
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
From my exp with squirrels and mites you will most likely have areas of crust and grit like material under the fur or on the tail (in several diff places) that you will be able to feel on the squirrels body..... do you have any of this? - if not, then its probably not mites and possibly another parasite in question.

P.S. ---> with mites you will gradually see fur loss over a couple weeks time where the crust/grit has accumulated the most.

pappy1264
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
No, not grit or crust any of their tails and no sign of lice. I think they are shedding, looks like Precious has new fur growth on her tail.

debrandw246@yahoo.com
11-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Hello,
Can anyone please tell me if they figured out what the itch it? I am starting to have the same problem with Stewart. He is itching his hair out. Itches almost constantly. I can see nothing but it must be mites. Do I have to give ivermectin? If so how much. I have the horse paste. Not crazy about giving him ivermectin. Here are some pictures. They aren't very good but his hair is coming out between his ears and on his back.

jo_schmoe
11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Ive had really good luck with Revolution.
I use the one for kittens.
On the foxers....2-3 drops in between shoulders.

SammysMom
11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Do you have access to Revolution?
Great minds Jo!!!

pappy1264
11-14-2011, 06:38 AM
In our case, it was just from shedding, but a bit of a forced shedding, I guess. They had been in a room that was very warm, in January (when cage was finished) moved to basement. Put hearter down there, but not as warm as where they had been and I think the abrupt changes caused it. They did all grew in new, beautiful fur with no more issues. So I think as they are getting ready to shed (provided you are not seeing any evidence of mites) then you are looking at a shed. Some have heavy ones then others. JMPO.