PDA

View Full Version : Help help!

Pierre
03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
What are the best squirrel-safe chew deterrents??!! There are various puppy/pet products...are any ok and work?

Grayson so needs [and loves] time out of his cage to run around, but he has decided that furniture and banisters etc are a load of fun to chew. :shakehead

It's funny but it really isn't. I just can't have him destroy Louis XV family antiques [some of which aren't even mine], and I am a advocate for furniture-rights. LOL.

I seriously need recommendations--PLEASE post products names and such. I have to do something. :)

:thankyou so much in advance.

island rehabber
03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Bitter Apple and Yuk.

Pierre
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Bitter Apple and Yuk.

:bowdown Thank you so much, IR. :bowdown

Other than the chewing, Grayson is a pleasure to have out and I'd let him run about for hours. I'll try these and hopefully they'll work on him.

Of course all the branches and wood and such I have all around isn't as much fun to chew.... Sheesh. These fuzz-butts. :Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
:grouphug :shakehead
I confess...I removed all things precious eons ago!:peace
I tried tried tried...they chewed chewed chewed!
I have added things that intrigue...
make their world irresistable, with sq friendly fun frolic'y stuff!
look at the latest...of course I will have to remove MORE furniture to include...these!:D
I also have two pole type cat trees...a surveyers tripod, baskets of toys..
buckets of nuts...
hence Sq Central is for sale...
I am buyiung a big A55 barn! REALLY!
hopefully 'the barn' will come with a house for Fred and Fido!:thumbsup

Good luck...I do understand:Love_Icon

My boys
03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
look at the latest...of course I will have to remove MORE furniture to include...these!:D
buckets of nuts...

The squirrel tree is beautiful!
Baby Boy feels so much better that when I let him out to play I am his play tree (ouch!! LOL), but today he decided he wants to run around the house - not happening - I have 4 cats & a dog. The dog I'm not afraid of it's the cats.
Even though there ok with him I don't want him to get scared & run somewhere where I can't find him. Fast little guy! Any suggestions? Other than putting the cats in a different room!!
Thanks

Fireweed
03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Oh my Goodness Grayson! :rotfl Well, I, too, suggest giving him a tree or something that he is allowed to chew...something with lots of wood...preferably a real, live tree...logs...etc...He might rather chew a live tree than your furniture (but they're probably both equally fun to chew, unfortunately :tilt ) Just giving him options might be your best bet (if the deterrents don't work). And maybe relocating all your furniture to a safe-house and using the logs as your dining room table and chairs... The natural, woody look is chic these days, anyway. :D

Pierre
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
buckets of nuts...

Jackie;
Hysterical! Your place is absolutely gorgeous. Your cages made from dining room hutches and your release shed, and now this squirrel tree. Only 5 star accommodations for your fuzzers. :Love_Icon

I have moved a lot of things but some items I have no where else to put them. Harrumph.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll try to find MORE tree-branch-toys for this little toot.
:rotfl

Pierre
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh my Goodness Grayson! :rotfl Well, I, too, suggest giving him a tree or something that he is allowed to chew...something with lots of wood...preferably a real, live tree...logs...etc...He might rather chew a live tree than your furniture (but they're probably both equally fun to chew, unfortunately :tilt ) Just giving him options might be your best bet (if the deterrents don't work). And maybe relocating all your furniture to a safe-house and using the logs as your dining room table and chairs... The natural, woody look is chic these days, anyway. :D

:rotfl hahahahaha Fireweed, you crack me up. Yes, if Grayson were a permanent "pet" I think I would just give up and get all log cabin furniture etc. Maybe even live in a log cabin! Then he could chew to his heart's content. :D I do like old things.....

He does have branches and such to chew all around, but maybe I can get something better bigger faster stronger, with more chewing options!

Pierre
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM

PS, did you make this amazing tree, or buy it? I have seen similar ones for sale for thousands of dollars. ... If you made it, what did you use for the "bark"? :bowdown

astra
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Pierre, check with Stosh - he's been very creative protecting his furniture and house in general from Rama's teeths. And it looks like it worked.

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
it also helped me to decide, when my only child (31) said he DID NOT WANT any of MY OLD JUNK!!!:D
so the sqs have it!...
Palmer ate my dining room table without my knowing...I re finished it...and put a table cloth on it and a cage {all tables are cage stands}, she was lifting the table cloth, having a dental explosion and putting the cloth back down...she KNEW...she knew she wasn't supposed to eat it!!!:nono
so she snuck and blamed it on Willie...which was a dumb move, as Willie is grounded already!!! He DOES NOT CLIMB PALMER!!!!!!
she still will not confess!:shakehead
Oh how I love sqs!:tilt
I bought a set of junker dining chairs which they tattooed immediately...
so I can keep my REAL DR chairs in someone else's garage:sanp3 ...
can you imagine...:peace :rotfl
there is currently a chunk of brocolli on the pic frame...snack time ya see!

as the cowardly lion always said...:poke courage, ya gotta have courage!tinfoil

Pierre
03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Pierre, check with Stosh - he's been very creative protecting his furniture and house in general from Rama's teeths. And it looks like it worked.

Yes, he's shared one secret--putting rolls of wide sticky tape on areas he doesn't want Rama. Problem is is that I have too many areas to cover like that. My whole interior would be sticky rolls!! :D

Any other tricks, Stosh? [if you're seeing this....]

Pierre
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
it also helped me to decide, when my only child (31) said he DID NOT WANT any of MY OLD JUNK!!!:D
so the sqs have it!...
Palmer ate my dining room table without my knowing...I re finished it...and put a table cloth on it and a cage {all tables are cage stands}, she was lifting the table cloth, having a dental explosion and putting the cloth back down...she KNEW...she knew she wasn't supposed to eat it!!!:nono
so she snuck and blamed it on Willie...which was a dumb move, as Willie is grounded already!!! He DOES NOT CLIMB PALMER!!!!!!
she still will not confess!:shakehead
Oh how I love sqs!:tilt
I bought a set of junker dining chairs which they tattooed immediately...
so I can keep my REAL DR chairs in someone else's garage:sanp3 ...
can you imagine...:peace :rotfl
there is currently a chunk of brocolli on the pic frame...snack time ya see!

as the cowardly lion always said...:poke courage, ya gotta have courage!tinfoil

:rotfl Oh, you are amazing! How'd you get the hubster to agree? haha
My bf might kill me if everything were removed, LOL, and tattooed furniture came as replacements.

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
PS, did you make this amazing tree, or buy it? I have seen similar ones for sale for thousands of dollars. ... If you made it, what did you use for the "bark"? :bowdown
I found these trees {2} on Craigs list...
I wrote the person selling them {3} and asked if she would reduce the price if they did not sell...she sold ONLY one!
She called me and asked that I pay for a rental truck so she could move them outta storage and get a smaller storage, I sorta freaked...I asked how much the truck would cost...
and she said with gas $40.!!!!!!
Hello...I was on it!:D
yes the large tree was $1000 originally!
now that I have seen them and their construction, I could make these all day long for cheaper and MORE SQ FRIENDLY!!!!
the bark is cotton tshirt knit fabric, spray painted brown with a fabric stiff'ner applied as well and stapled into place, very simple...:)

I am a freak about germs...so I still haven't brought the trees inside..I need to sanitize them...I may end up replacing all fabrics if I can't,
it's been rainy...and I've been busy!:osnap
It took 4 hours to vacumn off the cat hair:osnap

I will hang huts and ropes and hammocks etc...I may add a back to enclose the trunk area...dark and sqly!:D
I am so appreciataive of the wonderful couple who shared them YIPPIE!!!!!!!:bowdown

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
:rotfl Oh, you are amazing! How'd you get the hubster to agree? haha
My bf might kill me if everything were removed, LOL, and tattooed furniture came as replacements.
what is a hubster and do they count?:rotfl
Fred has been out numbered for years...he hangs out elsewhere most times!!!!!:D
I stopped asking him to repair stuff too...:jump
and as the old saying goes...when he is rolling eyes...
:nono be careful they may stay that way!!!!!:D

stepnstone
03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Pierre] "I just can't have him destroy Louis XV family antiques"

My lady and I also love and own antiques, apparently so does our Annie.
Being a woodworker/handyman, I'm quite good at repairs. Although retired, obviously Annie thinks I should stay in practice.
Only thing that has worked for me so far when I catch her at it is a short "time out", that seems to work for that particular item for the rest of (that) day. Tomorrow is always a new :squirrel1 day.
I had one of those invisible beam alarms that flashed a red light and sounded off for when ever Annie crossed the floor into our (formal) living room... She thought that tasted good too. :dono

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Palmer'ized!

stepnstone
03-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Palmer'ized!

Ohhhhh NO!!! I could see it now... :the_wife
Annie and I both sitting on the curb. Me with my suitcase, Annie with her HHB's. :rofl4

Pierre
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
A: now that I have seen them and their construction, I could make these all day long for cheaper and MORE SQ FRIENDLY!!!!

B: It took 4 hours to vacumn off the cat hair:osnap

C: I will hang huts and ropes and hammocks etc...I may add a back to enclose the trunk area...dark and sqly!:D

To part A: Well, get after it girl!! :D I bet the shipping would be outrageous though.... They are so cool looking.

To part B: I swear cat hair is made of velcro!

To part C: Sounds divine! Why would any squirrel ever leave??!

Pierre
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
what is a hubster and do they count?:rotfl
Fred has been out numbered for years...he hangs out elsewhere most times!!!!!:D
I stopped asking him to repair stuff too...:jump
and as the old saying goes...when he is rolling eyes...
:nono be careful they may stay that way!!!!!:D

OK, this whole post just had me giggling out loud. So you know.

Pierre
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Pierre] "I just can't have him destroy Louis XV family antiques"

My lady and I also love and own antiques, apparently so does our Annie.
Being a woodworker/handyman, I'm quite good at repairs. Although retired, obviously Annie thinks I should stay in practice.
Only thing that has worked for me so far when I catch her at it is a short "time out", that seems to work for that particular item for the rest of (that) day. Tomorrow is always a new :squirrel1 day.
I had one of those invisible beam alarms that flashed a red light and sounded off for when ever Annie crossed the floor into our (formal) living room... She thought that tasted good too. :dono

Sounds like Annie is just worried you'll get bored in retirement! She's doing her best to keep you active. :D Good ideas, thanks.

I wish I knew someone who did such repair well. I have damage on many items from movers... :shakehead

Pierre
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Palmer'ized!

Palmer's a naughty squirrel. :rofl4

Jackie in Tampa
03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Palmer's a naughty squirrel. :rofl4
she's a wrecking ball in a sq suit!
she is very poinent about what she eats!tinfoil whatever!

out of all the lipsticks to eat, Palmer picked the Clinique..she ate every keyboard that cost more than my house..she wants to go to the vets in a vette! you know the type...:shakehead
Our lives have been Palmerized to tell the truth! Oye!:Love_Icon

Pierre
03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
out of all the lipsticks to eat, Palmer picked the Clinique..she ate every keyboard that cost more than my house..she wants to go to the vets in a vette! you know the type...:shakehead

She's a princess. High maintenance. :rotfl

She's lucky you love her so! :Love_Icon

Kelly Brady
03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh this whole thread has just made my day by giving me such a laugh. I have sat at Jackies dinning room table where the lovely squirrel autograph is.

I have a dinning room table that I adore and it is the only thing in the house that I yell NO when they get close. My Peanut would run along the table and open his mouth and gently place teeth on the table and turn his head and eyes to see where I am. He could not wait for me to yell NOOOOOOOO.

It is the only thing I freak over. Otherwise, I surrender. Those fuzzers are just so smart. They know exactly what they are doing when they chomp. But what a boring house it would be with them :D

Gina
03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Laughing crazily like everyone else just because I been there-done-that. :sanp3 I had same problems when I became owned by two squirrels. And now I will pass on the advice I received from one of our knowledgable members:crazy

Build all your furniture from tree branches, logs.......:rofl4 :rofl4

OK, now for the solution I found and is working (so far). We have a detached barn and built a large cage for them inside of that. I let them have the run of the barn a couple times a day while I am in there with them. I had to remove dangerous items such as saws, paint, gasoline, gardening stuff ... basically all the things that we purchased the barn for in the first place.:dono
My intentions are to (one day) utilize the barn for additional smaller cages for reasable baby squirrels as I promised my hubby I will never keep another NR again. ever. ever. ever.:poke again.must repeat this to myself as they somehow grab ahold of your soul.