PDA

View Full Version : Snickers is gone :(

Shawnsmommy19
03-24-2011, 10:31 PM
:shakehead Not sure where to post this but here goes.... I have been raising a baby named snickers for almost 6 months now.For the past week we have been doing a soft release with him well tonight i decided to open the cage and let him explore.. I have also done this for the past several days but he always returns to his cage at night. Well tonight snickers didnt return. Just wondering if this is normal or not. I thought it would make me happy to see him return to the wild. But i didnt realize it would break my heart so much.... I have been walking around outside for the past 3 hours calling his name and doing our sound and he hasnt returned. Im just wondering if something could have happened to him or what. I have his cage under a oak tree in the front yard but not many squirrels come in our yard cause of our dogs bark at them. Anyways sorry for the rambling i just miss him. Should i move his cage to the last place i saw him go to or just leave it alone??

asweetdiversion
03-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm feel'n your pain Shawnsmommy19. When I did my soft release last October, the first night that one of them did not return to their cage, I actually drove up and down the street, stopping my car in the middle of the road and getting out to inspect every piece of trash, sock, kids toy, and a large half smoked cigar, and a half eaten McDonald's cheeseburger in the road fearing the worst. After a WEEK ,finally, Squirrelett came back and was as healthy and happy as could be. I'm sure Snicker's is off, having fun and making squirrel buddies after realizing his new-found-freedom. They long to be in the trees and doing all the squirrel things that squirrels do and you have every right to worry but I'd bet anything, he's building a nest or at the local squirrel night-club living it up and walking around somewhere flirting with other young squirrels, get some sleep and you will see him again soon.
Hugs.

Shawnsmommy19
03-24-2011, 11:12 PM
:thankyou As i was reading your post i was laughing and crying as i have been doing that same thing tonight LOL I sure hope you are right and that i will see him again cause ive had him since he was about 2 weeks old.... I remember when he was a baby he had runny poop i actually set my alarm and got up every hour to check on him and rehydrate him.... I love my little man and i now have another one his name is buddy i got him about 3 weeks ago... But you know nothing can ever replace the love of your first squirrel.... Thank you for the words of encouragement Im gonna go try to rest now... I dont think he will be moving at night anyways so ill look somemore tomorrow

gs1
03-24-2011, 11:14 PM
i'm sure he'll be back too ... maybe not tomorrow but next week ... after he's had all his fun and adventure out of his system....

it happens so often here at tsb that people are so worried and broken hearted and then all of a sudden ... 'he's back!!!'....

it really does happen a lot ... a week later, a month etc... some 4-6 months later (meemor - red squirrel yukon, canada) ... :grouphug

and this one ...mugzeemas ani

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27384

Shawnsmommy19
03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Should i leave his cage where it is and keep putting food and fresh water in it or just let it be??

UDoWhat
03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Most if not all of us here have done the same thing. This is such a bitter sweet moment. I have been a rehabilitator for 11 years and each release is always a heartbreaker. I watch for each of them to come back at least a few nights and worry when they don't. I'm sure he will be back but I know how many times you will go to the window and look out or walk around the yard calling him. He's in the tops of the trees having a great time and will "drop back by " to say "Hi". Let us know when you see him.

Marty, Licensed Maryland Wildlife Rehabilitator

Scooterzmom
03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I would leave it where it is and I'd put fresh food and water in there, just in case he decides to come back before you are up. Always good to have a little something extra for them anyway :)

I'll say a little prayer for him, hoping he's sleeping nice and tight tonite, all happy in his newfound reedom. :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
03-25-2011, 05:27 AM
be safe baby shawn...:Love_Icon

pappy1264
03-25-2011, 05:45 AM
It is baby makin' time, so he is off doin' what squirrelies do! I am sure he will be back, too. Yes, keep his cage there, keep putting food and water out. I released Pinkie and Fonzi last August, although Fonzi did move on after a few weeks, Pinkie has stayed (and she had babies, too, who she took to the bird feeder every day to eat. They would not let me near them, but Pinkie still did! Her babies have now left, I believe, but she is still here. This is her home.) So I hope after Snickers goes off and has some fun, he comes home to make his home!

SquirrelsinSingapore
03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
I echo scootermumz and Teresa's view,

Snickers must have been distracted by some squirrely beauty and landed at some squirrelly night pub... Also, sqs are known not to move about when dark. (similar vision to us)

So i reckon it stayed up a tree, in hole or somthing.

Don't worry! Its what sqs do and sqs aspire to be doing!

Probaby you can be back the next morning or noon to check hows things have gone. Or if Snickers wants back to mummy or not. Be sure to leave food and water for yer little fellor

:wave123

stosh2010
03-25-2011, 07:04 AM
OK...It's Morning---the SUN is UP--- Time to pay Mom a visit..
>>>>>>then you can go and PLAY --in the trees--again
################################################## #########################

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

VISIT the KING at:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27141&page=254

mugzeezma
03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Should i leave his cage where it is and keep putting food and fresh water in it or just let it be??

I would put food and water out and see if Snickers eats it. DO NOT move the cage! That would be more upsetting than anything else.

A lot of squirrels take off and never look back so do not fret over it, rejoice in the fact that you gave him the finest gift of all....his life! :grouphug

After release in October, Ani comes back and checks on Finnagin who HATES being outside!!!!
She came back 5 months after being released. She may have been back sooner but I didn't see her?
Everytime I put him out in the release cage he jumps into his nest box and only comes out to forage :thinking
He is the polar opposite of his sister who not could wait to be free.
Ani was neurotic in the release cage, pacing the back wall.
If she was loose in the house she would RUN to the back door to go outside.

asweetdiversion
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I would put food and water out and see if Snickers eats it. DO NOT move the cage! That would be more upsetting than anything else.

A lot of squirrels take off and never look back so do not fret over it, rejoice in the fact that you gave him the finest gift of all....his life! :grouphug

After release in October, Ani comes back and checks on Finnagin who HATES being outside!!!!
She came back 5 months after being released. She may have been back sooner but I didn't see her?
Everytime I put him out in the release cage he jumps into his nest box and only comes out to forage :thinking
He is the polar opposite of his sister who not could wait to be free.
Ani was neurotic in the release cage, pacing the back wall.
If she was loose in the house she would RUN to the back door to go outside.
Amen Mugz