PDA

View Full Version : Seizures and Traditional Chinese medicine?

Junior
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Hello - I need to find out if anyone on here has used any sort of Traditional Chinese medicine on a squirrel that has seizures? I recently got in three 4 week old babies on March 4th from another rehabber (she did a fabulous job stabilizing them, etc). Everyone looked great, no issues what so ever. Their story was that the husband "found" these guys on the ground while he was digging for a septic tank.....who knows what really happened, even though he was nice enough to take them home his wife would not provide them with anything....She said they were rats and she was not helping.....no water, no heat....nothing, so the daughter comes home after day 2 and gives them fluids.....this is unreal in my opinion but enough about the idiots.
On March 18th, Harry, one of my boys had two hypoglycemic seizure while I was in the car taking him to see another rehabber, he woke up not himself that morning and I wanted another set of fresh eyes to look at him. When I got there she sub-q'd him with 5% Dextrose solution as well as oral hydration and he came back to planet earth with no ill side effects. We also put him on Baytril for any possible infection which he did have a huge dark gooey poo a few hours after his Baytril injection. He was a wild man on Saturday, ate like a horse (today he weighed in at 142gms) played like one also! Sunday he was a bit more subdued but still good. Monday evening he had a mild seizure while I was holding him (clenched paws, chattering teeth, mild shaking). I did supportive care and it took him 10-15 minutes to come back around. We put him on two homeopathic remedies - Oat and Blue Vervain. He slept thru the night OK as far as I can tell. Dosed him thru the day with the Oat and Blue Vervain as the schedule called for. I thought he was doing OK but yesterday evening was not so good.... when I went to get him to feed him at 7:53 he was limp and not very cognoscente of where he was - guessing he had just had one. Then he had two more late last night 10:55 & 11:01, these were "hard" rigid seizures but short, maybe 20-30 seconds. Then this morning we had two more but these were back to the twitch/tremour type that lasted 60 +/- seconds.
I am looking into other treatment protocols. I CAN NOT bear to lose this little guy. I have done some research and apparently with hypoglycemia the Chinese feel that this is a nutrition & liver issue - liver is not working properly circulating the blood/nutrition which in turn leads to these seizures?
Has anyone had any experience with this ? The treatment calls for Dandelion, Goldenseal and Chamomile......
I am not stuck on this but I need some help for little Harry!!!
Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to make sure I gave all his information!!!

lilidukes
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Milk thistle can be used for liver damage. With seizures I have used molasses on the gums. Wishing you and Harry much luck. Harry fight hard little man:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

island rehabber
03-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Let;'s back up a minute and figure out WHY the squirrel is having seizures in the first place and WHY he is hypoglycemic. What are you feeding him, first of all? Is he on formula? What kind?

Junior
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
They are all on Fox Valley and have been since I got them. If I am reading the Chinese medicine book correctly it is saying that the seizures are from not processing/absorbing his formula correctly, from the liver and in turn that is the cause of the hypoglycemia......does that sound plausible??

Tara L
03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Is it possible he's diabetic? That might explain why the Dextrose seemed to help. I've had squirrels w/seizures from head injuries and I used some holistic product from Chris' for a week or so which really helped. Do you have a vet you can use to check his blood in case he is diabetic?

astra
03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Is it possible he's diabetic? That might explain why the Dextrose seemed to help. I've had squirrels w/seizures from head injuries and I used some holistic product from Chris' for a week or so which really helped. Do you have a vet you can use to check his blood in case he is diabetic?
holistic and such meds can be very helpful.:thumbsup
You could also send a pm to BHO (another member - you can find her in the member list). She's had extensive experience with various homeopathic medicines for squirrels with neuro problems and might be able to suggest something.