PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts rehab help

Wonkawillie
03-23-2011, 06:25 AM
It is early for any squirrel babies in the Mass/CT area, but just thought I would post ahead of time. I am not licensed, but have loads of experiance with baby squirrels. I have all supplies ready and waiting! Post me privately if you need help.

island rehabber
03-23-2011, 06:41 AM
:thankyou:thankyou:thankyou Wonkawillie!

stosh2010
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Another Volunteer---Another OPEN HOME---Your Compassion will save many lives...WELCOME & Muchas Gracias

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

VISIT the KING at :

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27141&page=252

Cejemere
03-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Loading up on supplys next weekend if anyone needs help. Wonka, if I have more than I can handle, I'll be shipping them your way!!:D I have to call a tree chopping company who's also a friend sometime next week. Want to make sure i'm good to go first! oh..and I have tons of squirrels in my woods..oh my!so I'll be on the look out for any fallen ones. It's baby season!!!!

SammysMom
03-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh, someone else in CT! Haven't seen many of us here! :thumbsup

alex39
08-31-2011, 03:04 AM
This just in...

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mostpopular/29032831/detail.html

If you can help care for the squirrels please contact the Little Sisters of the Poor in Somerville at 617-776-4420.

Wonkawillie
08-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Going to call them shortly.

alex39
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Going to call them shortly.
Thanks Wonka !

:bowdown

littlebeky
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
That is so sweet! Hope you can help them out Wonka!

rocky63
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
My wife and I Know the sisters at The Little Sisters of the Poor. We do know that Chestnut and Cashew are doing well and getting big with a rehabber. The pair will be released this Spring. :jump :jump

pappy1264
01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I never even saw this. I'm so glad they got help!!!

Dennisthesquirrel
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I really need some help with a little guy, where are you guys located in MA? If someone could please email me so I could explain, I'm willing to drive to you . My email is bacidolci8@gmail.com

Jackie in Tampa
02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
:Welcome DTS...
I will PM {private message} Wonka for you now.
Do you need immediate help that a TSB rehabber can give you in text?
Or do you need hands on hel[p?
hang on, brb after I PM Wonka.

aplmak
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm in!!! I have all my supplies ready!!! So anyone need help in Rhode Island I'll be here.. My Sophie will be 1 year old in March and I am more confident now to take on at least 2... so if anyone is overwhelmed I'll pitch in.. Just got a new 3.5 bucket of Fox Valley... :) I can eventually release if needed but am willing to get them to the point of eating solids and if anyone wants to take it from that point that is fine... :) I know after the hurricane last year people were overwhelmed and a lot were put down which is very sad... :(

Wonkawillie
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I am a bit confused about this private message. The thread started from a year ago when some nuns had some baby squirrels they needed help with. i di call them an offer help back then. not sure if the thread got off topic here or what? Always willing to help, but not sure who needs what right now.

Jackie in Tampa
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I really need some help with a little guy, where are you guys located in MA? If someone could please email me so I could explain, I'm willing to drive to you . My email is bacidolci8@gmail.comthinking maybe write to this new member, it appears he needs help..
thinking in your area...??...???

pappy1264
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I emailed him, as well. I know Wonka and I are in different parts of the state, so figured depending on who he was closer to.

pappy1264
02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Actually, it is a her, she in very close to me. She will be coming to me with him and he will be going straight to the vets. He is a baby that got stuck in a glue trap and although she tried to clean him (she looked it up online) he is going after his feet. Vet is on standby waiting for us. She was on her way home, would be home shortly. Is going to send me a pic of him so I can see his size, which I will pass on to vets right away so they know what to expect. So got this covered. Jodi is onboard, as well.

rocky63
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Great job pappy:wave123 If you need any more help I would be happy to lend a hand. Pm if you need

pappy1264
02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
it is a baby flyer. on the way out the door...will update later.

mjl121
02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Good luck with the little baby!

pappy1264
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I just got home. This little guy was in very bad shape. Both back legs were broken, left was necrotic and was about to fall off, right he mutilated it so bad, toes were gone, muscle chewed off part off foot and a hole chewed through his thigh musle. He was shocky from losing a good amount of blood. If it had only been the one leg, the vet would have amputated it, but with all the damage done to the other foot/leg, there was nothing they could do. He is out of pain now. RIP little one. I am sorry more could not be done to save you.

I pray the person that did this will listen to this and not use those traps again. Heartbreaking is an understatement.

SammysMom
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
RIP :grouphug baby:grouphug
God bless you Mary...you always go that extra mile to help!

pappy1264
02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks. I wish more could have been done. Everyone at the vets was in tears....there was no need for this to have happened. When I pulled into my driveway and got out of my truck, the wild flyers all started jumping into the maple tree (I was late with their dinner). Seeing them usually makes me smile, but it made me very sad thinking about this little one. I can really not like people sometimes....

Dennisthesquirrel
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you for your help Mary. I wish I had found you and this board sooner. I feel like if I had just found you a bit sooner he might have had a chance. I will save your number incase I run into other squirrels that need help. I am an animal lover myself since I was a kid and raised two baby pigeons when I was younger. I had no idea what to do with the squirrel and I wanted to find someone who would seriously take care of him and I tried to make him as comfortable as possible in the meantime but I was too late. I feel awful.. It is really hard to get through to people that look at animals as a "thing".

rocky63
02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Mary and DTS,sorry to here the little one didn't make it.:grouphug

island rehabber
02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
:grouphugMary and Dennisthesquirrel:grouphug
Bless you for trying so hard to save him.

Dennisthesquirrel
02-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Mary I also had some Goat's milk I forgot to grab out of the fridge that I wanted to give to you. I got it for Dennis =(

pappy1264
02-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Ashley, you did more then many would. He was safe, and warm and fed. The vet could not say for sure if even getting him in earlier would have worked, because he would have had to amp the left, but would have had to try to set the other leg, as it had fractured in two places and the hardest part would have been keeping him from mutiliating that leg. He would have done anything he could, if he could. He is a VERY caring and compassionate vet who loves all animals. He cried too with the rest of us. He also wanted me to thank you for doing all you could to save him. Again, many would not have bothered.

Yes, please keep my number. And maybe sometime you can come up and visit my flyers if you like. Jett and Eris are sisters and they love everyone!

Jackie in Tampa
02-08-2012, 06:48 AM
so sad when the best we can do is set them free from pain..
that love is the ultimate gift.:grouphug

Wonkawillie
02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Very sad for all involved. You all did your best.
Those glue traps are just so inhumane. What a horrible death to be stuck in that stuff. Why would even a rat or mouse deserve such a horrible death? I have heard of these stories of birds and squirrels and even cats getting stuck in them.

pappy1264
02-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I have pics of him stuck, and after.....heartbreaking. I have asked Ashley to please speak to this man, both myself and my hubby have offered to help trap and transfer them (and even maybe help fix the roof so they cannot get back in) if he would just please not use those traps anymore. We will see. Yes, they are inhumane for any creature.

Cleo_13
02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
They sell those glue traps at the grocery store near me. I feel sick every time I see them, so I try to avoid that aisle. Poor little guy...:grouphug