PDA

View Full Version : Neutering Southern Flying Squirrel

Dougie
03-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I know that I see a lot of people who neuter their sugar gliders but is it acceptable to neuter a flying squirrel? If so at what age is the best age to neuter them?

gs1
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
the flyer forum people can help you more... (muffinsquirrel, mrs.skul and others ...)

i don't think it's recommended for flyers... too dangerous....

:thumbsup

TinyPaws
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Neutering a flyer is not recommended...They have a high tendency to self mutilate themselves where the stitch site and penis....Many that went that road either died or had to be put to sleep....If this were my flyer, I wouldn't do it...

If you are concerned about them marking, they will continue to mark even if neutered..Get him a stuff toy buddy.....

Legomom
03-14-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree with TP. If you check out the NFSA, you will get the same answer. Spaying/neutering SFS's is not recommended. They will literally kill themselves trying to get the stitches out. Just curious...Why are you considering it?

island rehabber
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Ugh...I know we all witnessed that happening to a TSB flyer here a few years ago :(. It is NOT recommended.

Mrs Skul
03-14-2011, 07:01 PM
:goodpost IR,LegoMom, TP and GS1
:Welcome Thank you for asking be for doing the surgery. :thankyou
Please don not neuter your Flyer! They can't leave the stitches alone. They will pick and pick. When the pain gets so bad.
They will go in a trance like state. Chewing and tearing at the cite. They are trying to get rid of what ever is bothering them. :shakehead
There have been a few people in the past who have done this. Their was a Southern Flying Squirrel That Disemboweled him self. :eek: The insides were hanging out. Every time the vet sowed him up, he would chew the stitches open. They put him down. :Cry Most of them had to be put down. Any vet that knows about Southern flying Squirrels will never do surgery on them. ( unless it is a life saving sugary.)
The odds of any SFS coming threw in not good.
Shelby little girl Thistle had a tumor/or something. The vet did surgery on her. She watched her close.
She was very very lucky she did not mess with the stitches.
The other thing is the Anastasia. It would be a 50/50 chance the little won would wake up. :shakehead
Please think twice about doing this. They are so small and Die so fast!
:Love_Icon Just love your little guy how he is. They are so wonderful. A little Moody at times. Still very lovable.:Love_Icon
Mrs Skul

Dougie
03-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I agree with TP. If you check out the NFSA, you will get the same answer. Spaying/neutering SFS's is not recommended. They will literally kill themselves trying to get the stitches out. Just curious...Why are you considering it?

Honestly it was just something I wondered. I hadn't really read a lot about it. I was told that sugar gliders are usually neutered and assumed I should ask. If it is not recommended I won't even consider it. The reason I was even considering it is to not have to deal with the maturity issues that I read many of you have.

I also had no idea that there was a SFS board so I should go check that out.

pappy1264
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I was told by my vet, although not done often (for good reason) about 95% of sfs brought in to be neutered will die (whether through self-mutilation or reaction to the anesthesia)....I was shocked, as I have gliders and I, too, figured it would be the same. Don't even attempt it.

I can tell you, one of my gliders had a reaction to anesthesia (his heart stopped and had to be started and THEN he mutilated himself VERY BADLY...and I had done 'the collar'. So I have been down BOTH ROADS with one glider and although I am beyond thankful we had a good outcome, that is not usually the case with these things!

TinyPaws
03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8597

Please read this thread..

Legomom
03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
As I understand it, gliders tend to be neutered mostly to reduce the musk that they produce & prevent breeding. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I've only cared for one in the past.)

It is good that you are doing the research first. The NFSA board is very good overall, but, in my opinion, not nearly as responsive as TSB.

Gliders & flyers are very different creatures. Gliders are marsupials & flyers are mammals.

Yes, some flyers go through maturity issues, but I think they vary individually. I have a male who will be 3 in August & other than when food is involved, he's never been the slightest bit aggressive with me. My experience is just one of many.

Good luck with your flyer & please, feel free to ask us anything. We have a very good flyer community here on TSB & are always happy to help new HOFs. (Human Owned by Flyer) :peace