PDA

View Full Version : not eating

amh
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I've noticed for maybe the last week or so Amadeus hasn't not been finishing his supper. I have never had any trouble with getting him to eat everything so I always threw his veggies and fruits in together. I started noticing him not eating the veggies and now he is even leaving the fruits. He has been hiding his blocks when I let him out in the morning. He is even leaving apples behind (that is his favorite). He appears completely healthy and active other than his appetite is not up to par. He was a little chunky so it doesn't appear that he has lost a significant amount of weight. Maybe he joined weight watchers? Any suggestions? He used to live to eat!
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/188524_673324207837_210605191_36374618_6257896_n.j pg photo was taken March 1st

island rehabber
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Is Amadeus an indoor/outdoor squirrel? Does he have access to foods in he wild? If so, he will be less and less interested in what you give him...

amh
03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
He lives outside and is kept in his cage most of the time. I do let him out for supervised play but I RARELY see him eat anything he finds in the "wild". He spends most of his time in the tree or trying to figure out a way to get in the house.

Rhapsody
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
It may be possible that he is finding things to eat (even wood/bark) while he is up in the tree..... hence not being as hungry when dinner times comes.

amh
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
But he hasn't even shown interest when I fed him the last couple of days and I hadn't let him out because it was so incredibly nasty out. I'm just concerned I'm missing something here.

Rhapsody
03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Is he still drinking his formula? - If yes, how many times a day and how much each time.

amh
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Oh no, he has been off formula for months. Let's see, I got him in the end of August and estimated him to be around 5 weeks then. I want to say he was maybe around 13 weeks when we switched over to purely solid foods, although I'm not for sure. He eats two Henry's Healthy blocks in the mornings and then I feed him a mixture of veggies and fruits in the evenings. He went from being an absolute PIG to acting like he doesn't care at all. He has been hanging around his cage a lot the last couple of weeks. He seems apprehensive to wander too far, perhaps something has scared him?

Rhapsody
03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I've had a few squirrels like that..... from pig to nothing, but then I gave it some time and they came back to being a pig again. :rotfl

Sine you say he is healthy other wise I would say watch him and keep feeding him as you have been and see what happens.

Maybe trying giving him some thing new (he may be bored with his old favorites) and I some times try putting creamy peanut butter on their food when they refuse to eat it..... at first they will just lick the peanut butter off, but they will eventually get around to eating the food it was placed on.

amh
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you! Sounds like a plan. I will keep you updated as to how it goes.