PDA

View Full Version : What is a good diet to feed squirrels?

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-01-2006, 07:56 PM
What is a good diet to feed 5 month old squirrels??

What different types of fruits veggies?

Can i feed my squirrels mangos?

Kathy56
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I'll let the more experienced people help you with your diet questions. I just wanted to say hi and tell you that I live in S.C. also. I hope to take my squirrel to Keeper of the Wild in Jan. I have heard that it is a wonderful place. :Welcome

Kathy56
12-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Saw that you live in N.C. on your other post. The advice you are getting in the emergency thread is coming from the best. Don't panic. You are in good hands. :thumbsup

GhosTS
12-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Are you planning to release this squirrel or keep him.

Kale, broccoli, Cauliflower, apple pieces, grapes, sweet potatoe, pumpkin+seeds, squashes, small amount of fresh corn, hard shelled nuts to include, walnuts, filberts, pecans, small amount avocado, zupreem primate diet,
mazuri rodent block.

You can give mango.But fruit must be given only in small amounts.

DONT GIVE ANY PEANUTS OR SUNFLOWER SEEDS..thats a very very important thing to remember.

3babysHAVEmyheart
12-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Is it ok to feed them rasins??
Im having trouble with my squirrel being constipated and was wondering if rasins would make em poop?

island rehabber
12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Is it ok to feed them rasins??
Im having trouble with my squirrel being constipated and was wondering if rasins would make em poop?

I steer away from raisins because I have heard stories of squirrels choking on them....just my two cents.

Gabe
12-02-2006, 12:08 PM
I stay away from raisins too. The mineral oil was good in the beginning, but does not seem to be working for you now. Mineral oil will coat the inside of the intestines and prevent nutrition from the food from being absorbed. It is okay to give occassionally, but not regularly.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-02-2006, 04:48 PM
just wondering why do you think that they are constipated? Do you see them straining or dragging themselves? If you see them pulling themselves on their behind they are releasing their scent. I seen mine doing this and kept giving them rougage to help them, then found out they werent dragging themselves because they were constipated. I felt like a fool.:dono

GhosTS
12-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Stay away from raisins.For how long was he constipated.If he is constantly constipated it is a sign that something in his diet is wrong.Does he get fresh veggies and does he have a supply of water ( Which has to be changed daily ).

Gabe
12-03-2006, 09:41 AM
just wondering why do you think that they are constipated? Do you see them straining or dragging themselves?

She posted that one is not pooping, and is severly bloated and vomiting. I don't think they are scent marking.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Oh sorry Gabe:hidechair I guess I missed that somehow.
Mine love Pumpkin seeds (unsalted) with hazlenuts a special squirrel mix I found.
Also apple, sweet potato, corn on the cob, broccoli, kale, watermellon has won the heart of all.

Gabe
12-03-2006, 10:37 AM
It's okay, don't feel bad... There are two threads with the same problem going on here.

I just didn't want to confuse her.

TexanSquirrel
12-18-2006, 07:27 PM
What else is good to feed squirrels? And is choking the only reason not to feed rasins? What if they are cut up?