PDA

View Full Version : Formula issues

jennifer57
03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm calling Fox Valley today to order some. I had bought esbilac before I found this forum because everything else I read said to feed it.

My question is - do I keep feeding the esbilac until the FV gets here, or do I need to feed a homemade formula or something until then?

TIA!
~Jenn

CritterMom
03-10-2011, 07:43 AM
If your babies are okay - no diarrhea, etc., continue the esbilac until you get your shipment. When you get the FV, don't change from one to another immediately. Mix the two formulas together at feeding time, and each time you feed, increase the total amount of FV and decrease the amount of esbilac until you are finally not using any esbilac at all.

BTW, you will be able to stretch the time between feedings with the FV - it "sticks to their ribs" more than the esbilac - they don't get hungry again as quickly (means more sleep:D ).

jennifer57
03-10-2011, 08:11 AM
He's got yellow runny poop. Not quite diarrhea, it's not liquid, just goopy. I thought I had overfed him Tuesday, so I was careful with amounts yesterday and nothing changed, so yesterday afternoon I went ahead and gave him some rehydration fluid (the recipe posted here in the forum), then at bedtime gave him the esbilac again. Still yukky this morning, and after everything I read I'm concerned it's the formula. I fed him the rehydration fluid again this morning.

TBH, I'm kind of scared to keep feeding the esbilac. Would it be ok to feed him the homemade formula stuff listed in one of the sticky posts until the FV gets here? I'm going to mush up some rodent blocks with water or something and see if I can get him interested in that as well.

~Jenn

CritterMom
03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
If he is having that good old esbilac diarrhea, then yes, do the goats milk/yogurt/cream formula we call "Jackie's Goat's Milk Formula." I would do a few feedings of rehydration fluid only to try to flush the esbilac out of his system before switching over though. God I hate that stuff.

Do the gradual transition I described when you go to the FV from the goats milk.

jennifer57
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Ok, I'll go buy the stuff for the Jackie's formula now and give him that later today after a couple more meals of rehydration fluid.

Thank you for your help!

~Jenn

virgo062
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Poor baby....The hydration will help her tum tum too. You are keeping a good eyeball on her...She will be fine.

jennifer57
03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Ok, I just ordered the FV, he said it will be here Tuesday. Is Jackie's formula ok to use until then? Along with the rodent blacks, if I can coax him to eat them? I'm also going to pick up an avocado and a couple other things that I've seen recommended.

jennifer57
03-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Uh....that should be "rodent blocks"!! Sorry! :shakehead

CritterMom
03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
How old is this baby?

That formula was used to raise MANY squirrels so it will be just fine. Um, goats milk stinks, though, so expect that, but nutritionally the little guy will be okay until Fox Valley rides to the rescue.

If you can find Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt - they have several flavors but vanilla and banana are faves - it is full fat yogurt, not low fat like just about all the others. It's also really yummy. They sell it in little tiny four packs.

CritterMom
03-10-2011, 09:36 AM
OK - now I see - 6 weeks. Still at the point where he's mostly gonna be peeing on his blocks and playing with them instead of actually eating them! He should be allowed to do all of that - eventually a piece will accidently fall in his mouth and he will begin to eat but now pretty much all of his nutrition is coming from the formula.

Rescue04
03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Here is the mix for the Esbilac: 1 cup water, 1/2 cup esbilac, 1/2 cup heavy cream & 1/4 cup plain or vanilla yougurt (all natural is best if you can get it) not the non fat or low fat if you can help it. We have been using this mix for years now and it has been real successful. The yogurt was the key in the mix and mixing it together gradually. Ours do not have diarrhea, and we added a little pedyalite if it looks a little yellow.

astra
03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Adding yogurt often helps:thumbsup , but...hmmm... :thinking I am not sure about adding pedialyte to formula?.... As far as I remember, those two shouldn't be mixed... Rehabbers, please clarify!:thankyou

Nancy in New York
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Adding yogurt often helps:thumbsup , but...hmmm... :thinking I am not sure about adding pedialyte to formula?.... As far as I remember, those two shouldn't be mixed... Rehabbers, please clarify!:thankyou

You're right astra....never mix pedialyte with anything...:nono :nono :nono

Rhapsody
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Where is the link to the goat milk recipe? - I would like to add it to my website.

:thankyou

jlynratcliff
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
On the yogurt....how do y'all feel about the "greek style"? Its really really really high high fat content. Has anyone used that? We buy it for us to eat and its very yummy...itd be nice not to have a billion different yogurs in my fridge.

Ps...I don't have any babies ...yet. hope to join the club soon tho!

astra
03-11-2011, 07:55 AM
On the yogurt....how do y'all feel about the "greek style"? Its really really really high high fat content. Has anyone used that? We buy it for us to eat and its very yummy...itd be nice not to have a billion different yogurs in my fridge.

Ps...I don't have any babies ...yet. hope to join the club soon tho!
oh greek is fine! Just make sure it's 100% fat (or whatever the equivalent), plain better.

Nancy in New York
03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Where is the link to the goat milk recipe? - I would like to add it to my website.

Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

jennifer57
03-12-2011, 09:37 PM
How long does "Jackie's Formula" stay good for in a sealed container in the fridge?

astra
03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
How long does "Jackie's Formula" stay good for in a sealed container in the fridge?
don't remember... good question... send Jackie a pm, she'll tell you

CritterMom
03-13-2011, 04:08 AM
don't remember... good question... send Jackie a pm, she'll tell you

48 hours.

jennifer57
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM