PDA

View Full Version : Almost release time!

thomasnchy
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been using this board for the past 4 months or so, ever since a co-worker brought me a baby squirrel. He was only about 3 weeks old (as far as I can tell), eyes shut and barely any fur at all. I've followed your diet advice, and everything else related to raising a baby squirrel, and he is doing GREAT! So, thank you all for the help you have given me.
It's almost time to let the little guy go. Even though I'm a big-tough manly-man type and all.. well it's going to be tough. After waking up 2-3 times a night and feeding him, to now getting home and giving him his "yogie" treat, well I just might have grown a little spot in my heart for the little bugger. But, I know releasing him is the best for him. He has become aggressive towards strangers (as expected) and I can tell that it's the right time, he has been nesting in the log I placed in his cage ever since he was old enough to leave the heating pad, and appears to be in great health... doing all the things a squirrel is supposed to do.
Unfortunatley, the only tree in my yard isn't big enough to support a squirrel. And there are no other squirrels nearby. So I have to take him out to work where there are plenty of habitats for him.
Wish him luck!
And thanks again for all the help!

pappy1264
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Will you be able to continue to feed him every day there, at least for a while? Since he is older and wintered over, he has come to rely on you for everything and he will need you for a while after release to assure he is making it ok. Has he been outside all this time in a cage?

thomasnchy
03-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I'll be able to feed him daily throughout the spring if needed. We haven't started setting him outside yet (still too cold here in Wyoming). I'll bring the cage to work and set it out under the group of trees I have in mind for his release for a few hours a day, and keep adding time slowly. I'm thinking it could take a couple of weeks of that until I open the cage for good.

virgo062
03-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Release time is so hard even for big tough manly men:rotfl :rotfl
Any man that would love and care for a baby animal is the manlies of men in my book

Kelly Brady
03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
thomasnchy,

The best of luck when you begin this release. It is because of you this guy will be able to have a wonderful Spring in the trees.
Nothing can stop the heart from breaking but you can let people know you know how to take care of babies and help more in your area. I started with my local pet shop. They get people walking in with baby squirrels all the time.
Your hooked now :D

Thank you for all of your devotion to your baby. :thankyou