PDA

View Full Version : Hiya! Wesley here...

tombraiderwes
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi guys!

My name is Wesley. I'm from FL, and I was hoping to find a breeder near Tampa. I used to have a flier as a pet when I was younger, since my dad works outside and he found a baby one before. Now that I am about to graduate college with my own place, I was hoping to find a breeder, or a friendly little one. I am actually looking at a male today, so it's super exciting!:jump

Jester
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I found my flying squirrel breeder on the squirrel classifieds section of this site:
www.hoobly.com/11998/2446/0/
Hope this helps. I'm not sure of any of the regulations in Florida regarding them or if any of these breeders are good breeders or not though.. I got really lucky with my little guy that we was healthy and well kept.

tombraiderwes
03-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I actually just adopted the cutest flying squirrel today! So sweet and cute! I am not sure though what sex it is. Can someone help me? Are there other ways to find out the sex than to see the genitalia? He/she doesn't sit still and I can't seem to find anything online.

Jester
03-08-2011, 12:10 AM
congrats. :) how old is your new flyer? if he's old enough it should be visible if a male. mines a boy and he's got a pretty large and obvious lump down there. no visible signs might mean its a female.. I believe they look rather similar aside from that, but I could be wrong..

tombraiderwes
03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Well "he" is 6 months. The guy found him because the nest fell out of the tree, the other 3 babies were dead, and he bottle fed him and such, but now he has a new job and not that much time for "him" anymore. "He" is extremely well socialized though! I was thinking of naming him/her Momo, since that is a gender-neutral name.
Would the sex be obvious at 6 months?

Jester
03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Yea it should be very obvious within several weeks of age, hes probably a she lol.

tombraiderwes
03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks so much for your help! I will check again tomorrow. Right now is sleepy time for Momo.

Jackie in Tampa
03-08-2011, 04:32 AM
:poke We need pics...
:Welcome :wave123
I am in Tampa..and have many flyers...not pets, but they are super friendly...
come by and see what they eat and their little homes etc..
The night time friends are soo fun, fast and make nice pets.
If you need some help sexing, I can do that...or a pic will tell if you can get one!
Be sure to cover the cage during the day..they like dark and quiet best.. Keep the little one away from other pets, keep the lid closed..[Your momma always told you the seat down ! But I mean the lid CLOSED!:rotfl } flyers cannot swim!
Also place a ladder inside potty just in case someone else forgets!
I am copy/pasting this from another thread...but it's a must!

Make one yourself with a vinyl coated wire mesh.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/floridatlc/Family%20pictures/ToiletLadder2.jpg
:wave123 enjoy!

Jackie in Tampa
03-08-2011, 04:34 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396&highlight=toilet+ladder
here's a link to a great stickey:thumbsup

PS...I can recommend some flyer friendly vets too..
I advise to find one now...do not wait until it's an emergency..cool.

Anne
03-08-2011, 04:52 AM
:Welcome Wesley! Another squirrel lover in Florida.:D You don't say your area. Jackie, is in Tampa, I live just outside Jacksonville.
There is a section here on the board about flying squirrels, lots of good information you will find very helpful with your new baby. Please study up on good nutrition to keep your little one healthy and happy.You want to have many years of love and enjoyment with your new pet!

lilidukes
03-08-2011, 05:35 AM
:Welcome Wesley Glad to have ya!

pappy1264
03-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Welcome to you and your new little (from what it sounds) girlie! I have four flyers......careful, they are very addicting! lol (The toilet ladder is a MUST for flyer owners!) Yes, we LOVE pics!!!! Can't wait to hear all about your new little one. Congrats!

Rescue04
03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
we love pics. and if you can post one of the underside of the flyer...we can tell you for sure if it is a boy or girl. but it is pretty hard to be wrong. flyers are great!! i have always wanted one...but with so many wildlife squirrels in my house...i just dont have time to devote the attention they need. at 6 months you should be able to tell the sex without any doubts.

tombraiderwes
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the warm replies and welcomes! It definitely is a girl. Her name is Momo, and I live in Tampa! She had fallen out of the nest and her 3 brothers and sisters didn't make it. I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures on here . . . and I was hoping to adopt her a little boyfriend.

Jackie, if you would like to PM me your cell number or something I would love to see your flyers! Do you breed them btw?

tombraiderwes
03-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Pictures!:jump

stepnstone
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
:Welcome Wesley and congratulations on becoming a daddy! :thumbsup

Rescue04
03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
she is adorable!!! i love flyers!! i just have not found one that loves me yet!! lol

Best Life
03-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Welcome to TSB! :wave123 Congratulations on your new baby girl, Momo - what a cute name! And what an adorable little girl!

So glad you are here - always good to meet more squirrel people. Hope you enjoy browsing around the site. LOTS of great first-hand info here regarding cages, diet, and just plain fun!

Scooterzmom
03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
What a darling little peanut!!!!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon So sweet, little Momo... and I love her name too:)

Welcome to TSB!!!! :wave123 Lots of fantastic folks here, as you will see, and plenty of support when you need it too.

Skipper
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Thts soooo cute but i have a 3 week old fox squirrel but it mom is dead its sad wat happened but its gotta b cool 2 have a flying squirrel lol... hope to b friends = )

Twi_prime
04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
:I am copy/pasting this from another thread...but it's a must!

Make one yourself with a vinyl coated wire mesh.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/floridatlc/Family%20pictures/ToiletLadder2.jpg
:wave123 enjoy!

Oh my gosh. What a great little ladder. Is a feed store a good place to get that kind of mesh? Hardware store? Home Depot? We don't have indoor squirrels but we will be uncovering an above-ground pool soon. Maybe this would be a good thing to have, on a larger scale, in our pool? I'd certainly welcome other suggestions on that subject too. :)

Twi_prime
04-28-2011, 02:19 AM
Oh my gosh. What a great little ladder. Is a feed store a good place to get that kind of mesh? Hardware store? Home Depot? We don't have indoor squirrels but we will be uncovering an above-ground pool soon. Maybe this would be a good thing to have, on a larger scale, in our pool? I'd certainly welcome other suggestions on that subject too. :)

Hmmm. Y'know what else? I wonder if some kind of relatively light mesh fabric would be good for covering the pool during the season when we're using it. So it wouldn't be as tough to cover and uncover from use to use. Maybe something light would still keep squirrels from falling in? Guidance is welcome.

cbell
04-28-2011, 05:33 AM
When we had a pool I used bubble wrap taped at the seams with tie off strings attached it also keeps the water warm and my little buddies used it as a trampolin

Twi_prime
04-29-2011, 02:16 AM
When we had a pool I used bubble wrap taped at the seams with tie off strings attached it also keeps the water warm and my little buddies used it as a trampolin

Wow. I'm going to bring that up with my bf. Thanks. :)

island rehabber
04-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Definitely install one in outdoor pools, too. Many people have found squirrels drowned in their pools -- especially young babies. :( Two years ago I rescued a baby skunk from our pool here at the condo; she was smart enough to duck into the skimmer when she realized she could not get back up the steps with her tiny short legs. :tilt

Ronda
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi and welcome...adorable little flyer :)

Twi_prime
04-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Definitely install one in outdoor pools, too. Many people have found squirrels drowned in their pools -- especially young babies. :( Two years ago I rescued a baby skunk from our pool here at the condo; she was smart enough to duck into the skimmer when she realized she could not get back up the steps with her tiny short legs. :tilt

That really *was* smart. IR (or anyone else who knows), will one wide ladder, reaching down to the bottom, be sufficient, or should a person try for one on each side, or even more? I keep trying to think of how far a squirrel could make his way in the pool and whether the non-flyers can swim any distance at all in an emergency? We really want to make it as critter-safe as possible. My bf has read about just fastening a number of thick ropes across the pool too. Any thoughts on that? Should this discussion be outside of Wesley's intro thread? Sorry Wesley!

island rehabber
04-30-2011, 06:03 AM
I know grey squirrels and foxers can swim pretty well, so you don't need the ladder to go all the way to the bottom. Flying squirrels are another story -- they don't swim, so extra caution is a must.

Wesley, wanna hear how ridiculous and OLD I feel right now? It just dawned on me that your screen name is what it actually is. All this time I thought your name was Tom Braider, and I wondered why you chose that when your name is Wesley.
:oldwise:sanp3:oldwise:sanp3:oldwise :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Chickenlegs
04-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Welcome! One day I'll have flyer(s) but for now I get to lurk in the shadows and see all the little sweeties. Lucky you! Momo is a BEE-utiful little girl! This is a great place for squirrel addicts!