PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels Teeth

Rhapsody
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I have a question.......

If a squirrels upper teeth gets knocked out from a fall when they are little will they grow a second set of teeth like humans do for their permanent teeth or are they born with just one set of teeth for life? - hence making them NR?

:thankyou

Hannah
02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
http://sciuridae.org/Sciurus%20niger/20100109%20Sciurus%20niger%20rufiventer%20skul%20t op%20and%20bottom.jpg

If the root of the incisors (gnawing teeth) aren't damaged, I'd think they'd regrow since the incisors grow throughout life. The root seems to be a little back inside the skull, so I think it'd take a hard fall to damage it.

I've never heard of squirrels -- or rodents for that matter -- loosing first (milk; deciduous) teeth to grow a second set like humans do, so for the molar and pre-molars I'd guess they only get one of each through life.

Rhapsody
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
How long do you think it would take for the upper incisors to grow back in (if they are going to) for a 5 or 6 week old squirrel that lost his upper incisors when he fell out of his nest a week or two earlier?

Hannah
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
How long do you think it would take for the upper incisors to grow back in (if they are going to) for a 5 or 6 week old squirrel that lost his upper incisors when he fell out of his nest a week or two earlier?
I'm sorry to hear that the squirrel has broken teeth. I have no data on the rate of growth of squirrel teeth. If they grow as fast as fingernails (3 mm / month), it might take more than a month. I suppose he's still on milk now, but hopefully they grown in time for weaning. Good luck, Rhapsody.

Rhapsody
02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Thank you - and yes, hopefully they will be re-grown in time for release other wise I will have a new buddy for a while longer or for a life time "squirrel buddy" if he (Cecil) cannot be released.

Rhapsody
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Any more knowledgeable input on the subject?
:bump :bump :bump