PDA

View Full Version : Moving squirrel cage outside

heyjamai
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi there! I want to move Tails' cage to my back porch as its permanent location.

Is there anything I should know about getting him acclimated to outdoor weather? I live in Florida and it has been really warm during the day and cold at night. If I see that it will be freezing over night, will he need a heater near his cage? (I would not risk using a heating pad- he tries to chew electrical wires.)

Let me know what you guys advise!

Thanks!

stepnstone
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi there! I want to move Tails' cage to my back porch as its permanent location. Is there anything I should know about getting him acclimated to outdoor weather? I live in Florida and it has been really warm during the day and cold at night. If I see that it will be freezing over night, will he need a heater near his cage? (I would not risk using a heating pad- he tries to chew electrical wires.) Let me know what you guys advise!
Thanks!

I have always used an infrared heat lamp (bulb) with a clamp on light housing (covering bulb area by wire). Provides the heat needed and the soft red glow still allows it to be nighttime. Can be put on the outside of cage directed toward nesting box and you wouldn't need that high of a wattage bulb.