PDA

View Full Version : seizure question

scratsdad
11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Took scrat to vet yesterday. She said calicum level was good, checked her chest with a stethoscope, felt her head, jaw and teeth. Everything looked good. as previously indicated she too that there was a head trama and that's why scrat has the balance issue. She also said the same thing the vet tech said acouple of weeks ago. Also scrat is not a releaseable squirrel to the wild.

However, she asked if scrat has had seizures. I said No but then got to thinking about it later. I really didn't know what a squirrel seizure was. My
question is what are the symptoms?

The solid food issue was also discussed and she said "Why would she wants to eat solid food when she can get all she wants to eat by mom and dad". She's not hungry enough to go for the solid foods. We're working on that issue, but do want to know about the seizure systoms. tks again for all your all's input....

Critter_Queen
11-29-2006, 10:39 AM
How old is she? How much formula are you giving? How often? She should still want solids even if she's on formula after a certain age, unless she's SO FULL of formula that she doens't even have the desire to try it... What solids are you trying? Are you giving them every single day for weeks before giving up? It will take a while before she'll get around to trying stuff...you just have to keep putting it in there. A waste, I know, but it's how you get her to wean.

Squirrel seizures can look like many things. Most often, though, they seem to arch their backs, fist their paws, squeeze their eyes shut (or wide open and rolling), open their mouths and sometimes they vocalize, too. It can be all, some, or none of these outward symptoms. If it's from brain swelling, seizures can come in MANY MANY forms. Trembling, "spacing out", lack of response to stimuli...but again, could be all, some or none and sometimes those symptoms can indicate other issues rather than seizures.

Hope this helps!

PS- Did the vet look for ear problems? What about eyes? Vision problems can cause balance issues, too...

scratsdad
11-29-2006, 10:43 AM
The Vet checked her skull for imformalities and soft spots. Checked her ears as well along with the stethoscrope on her chest (that was fun). Also checked her eyes with the same scope as the ears. Checked her teeth as well as jaw line. All that seemed normal.

Critter_Queen
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
How old is she? How much formula are you giving? How often? She should still want solids even if she's on formula after a certain age, unless she's SO FULL of formula that she doens't even have the desire to try it... What solids are you trying? Are you giving them every single day for weeks before giving up?

Can you answer these questions, please?